Jeremy Jacobs was asked about a team relocating - and refused to answer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The simple response would be to say he doesn't anticipate that happening but that is not how it came out

He certainly seems dead set against Quebec City which he downplays after praising Winnipeg.

upload_2018-5-16_18-13-26.png

:dunno:

Last edited:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Did not watch the whole thing, but my reaction is....

Since he refuses to comment on relocation, that means that someone is perhaps considering relocation. Bettman always unequivocably denies that anyone is relocating. In like of Bettman's ways, it would be very easy for Jacobs to state the same "company line". Since he did not, that means there are discussions....

As for Houston and Quebec, this has been his point and his talking point for at least 3 years, so nothing surprising there. Generally, to me, it comes down to this: If the NHL goes to Houston, there is the possibility that Jacobs will gain something (TV contract) besides the expansion fee. If the NHL goes to Quebec, Jacobs will gain nothing except the expansion fee. So, he has NO interest in Quebec, for his own selfish reasons. He likes Houston, for his own selfish reasons.

It's the same song and dance that has hindered this league since its beginning.....

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Did not watch the whole thing, but my reaction is....

Since he refuses to comment on relocation, that means that someone is perhaps considering relocation. Bettman always unequivocably denies that anyone is relocating. In like of Bettman's ways, it would be very easy for Jacobs to state the same "company line". Since he did not, that means there are discussions....

As for Houston and Quebec, this has been his point and his talking point for at least 3 years, so nothing surprising there. Generally, to me, it comes down to this: If the NHL goes to Houston, there is the possibility that Jacobs will gain something (TV contract) besides the expansion fee. If the NHL goes to Quebec, Jacobs will gain nothing except the expansion fee. So, he has NO interest in Quebec, for his own selfish reasons. He likes Houston, for his own selfish reasons.

It's the same song and dance that has hindered this league since its beginning.....

Definatelly agree but here's the thing why would Jacob or any owner accept a expansion fee of much lower amount after the league accepted a expansion fee of 650m from Seattle. It makes no sense. Its the best interest of the league to keep the fee as high possible but no less than what they accepted previously.

That's the thing with houston, Houston isn't going to pay 650 or more and its not in the leagues interest in accept a lesser offer other than possible upsetting Seattle have paid 650m.

So how do you address the houston issue while getting into the market, relocation. They get one more current franchise healthy while getting into the Houston market.

Now of all of the teams which one is the most at risk for being relocated. Coyotes if jocab is being mum about relocation then they have to be thinking the coyotes. It would be silly if its the flames.

Another thing to point why would the NHL even be considering relocation right now when you got a spot open and are considering expansion Seattle with that open spot.

One conclusion would be Houston expansion (reduced price) Seattle relocation in 2 years.

A couple of problems with that thought. 1) you basically slow down the arena process in Seattle and reduced the urgency of getting that arena in seattle done, build and open for 2020 season.
2) You reduce total $$$ each owner gets. A sale and relocation, the league only gets the cost of relocation + repayment of debt while the owner of the coyotes pockets the rest.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I'm sure Jacobs would love to get the concessions at Toyota Center but his archrival Levy Restaurants has the contract.

If you take a hard look at comparing Winnipeg and Quebec the metro population is roughly the same BUT QC has adjacent population centers that Winnipeg does not. What is telling is Quebecor is not making a stink over being bypassed.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm sure Jacobs would love to get the concessions at Toyota Center but his archrival Levy Restaurants has the contract.

If you take a hard look at comparing Winnipeg and Quebec the metro population is roughly the same BUT QC has adjacent population centers that Winnipeg does not. What is telling is Quebecor is not making a stink over being bypassed.

Jacob, i believe is already getting the concessions at Seattle center arena once that is done and open.

Regarding quebecor, 1) They know they don't have a chance at landing a team any time soon even if coyotes do relocate.

I personally don't see its in the leagues best interest to 1) unbalance the league again with Seattle having #32 and 2) not wanting to have 1 less US team before the tv contract goes up for renewal.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Definatelly agree but here's the thing why would Jacob or any owner accept a expansion fee of much lower amount after the league accepted a expansion fee of 650m from Seattle. It makes no sense. Its the best interest of the league to keep the fee as high possible but no less than what they accepted previously.

That's the thing with houston, Houston isn't going to pay 650 or more and its not in the leagues interest in accept a lesser offer other than possible upsetting Seattle have paid 650m.

So how do you address the houston issue while getting into the market, relocation. They get one more current franchise healthy while getting into the Houston market.

Now of all of the teams which one is the most at risk for being relocated. Coyotes if jocab is being mum about relocation then they have to be thinking the coyotes. It would be silly if its the flames.

Another thing to point why would the NHL even be considering relocation right now when you got a spot open and are considering expansion Seattle with that open spot.

One conclusion would be Houston expansion (reduced price) Seattle relocation in 2 years.

A couple of problems with that thought. 1) you basically slow down the arena process in Seattle and reduced the urgency of getting that arena in seattle done, build and open for 2020 season.
2) You reduce total $$$ each owner gets. A sale and relocation, the league only gets the cost of relocation + repayment of debt while the owner of the coyotes pockets the rest.

There are a couple of possibilities here.

The current owners of the Coyotes move the team to Houston and make a secret deal with the Rockets owner to give him the first crack to buy the team and Seattle is at best 3 years away from being NHL ready.

However, the NHL has to authorize a season ticket drive in Houston to see if the market is viable. The assumption is that hockey will work there but that is not set in stone. Calgary is the real wildcard. The current Flames ownership will be hard pressed to find a local buyer with no arena in the works. They and Bettman gambled they could oust the incumbent mayor and lost badly.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There are a couple of possibilities here.

The current owners of the Coyotes move the team to Houston and make a secret deal with the Rockets owner to give him the first crack to buy the team and Seattle is at best 3 years away from being NHL ready.

However, the NHL has to authorize a season ticket drive in Houston to see if the market is viable. The assumption is that hockey will work there but that is not set in stone. Calgary is the real wildcard. The current Flames ownership will be hard pressed to find a local buyer with no arena in the works. They and Bettman gambled they could oust the incumbent mayor and lost badly.

Why in the world would NHL set a requirement of a ticket drive for a relocation of a team? Its either Houston or be stuck in market with no long term solution. The franchise financial mess can't get any worse if the league relocates them to Houston it can only get better.

The issue with flames if it gets that bad and Houston is off the board they look at other potential relocation options out west and well the only one i can think off is Portland but Paul Allen owns the arena so there need to be some sort of minority share purchase of the flames in order to get arena revenue. Purchase and relocate of team to portland it becomes an issue of the price same problem with houston.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

I think a lot of people are taking a hard look at this. QC has a much wider fan base than Winnipeg and a vertical media deal that Winnipeg will never have. QC not only has all its canards in a row but has been unusually paisible about being bypassed.

Watch what happens when the CBA negotiations approach and the Barroway bank account recedes.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think a lot of people are taking a hard look at this. QC has a much wider fan base than Winnipeg and a vertical media deal that Winnipeg will never have. QC not only has all its canards in a row but has been unusually paisible about being bypassed.

Watch what happens when the CBA negotiations approach and the Barroway bank account recedes.

its not in the leagues best interest to have back to back relocation of US teams to canada. its about maximizing the next US tv deal.

And they can't maximize it if coyotes end up in canada and it also creates an issue of 15 west 17 east which is one of the reason why they were bypassed in the first place with the 2015 expansion process.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Why in the world would NHL set a requirement of a ticket drive for a relocation of a team? Its either Houston or be stuck in market with no long term solution. The franchise financial mess can't get any worse if the league relocates them to Houston it can only get better.

The issue with flames if it gets that bad and Houston is off the board they look at other potential relocation options out west and well the only one i can think off is Portland but Paul Allen owns the arena so there need to be some sort of minority share purchase of the flames in order to get arena revenue. Purchase and relocate of team to portland it becomes an issue of the price same problem with houston.

Winnipeg had to do it in 2011.

Winnipeg's NHL season tickets sold out | CBC Sports

I truly believe that Nords 2.0 might not happen simply to keep the Habs monopoly in most of Quebec Province. Gatineau is right across the river from Ottawa yet the Habs are still very popular there. Montreal has the second largest local TV contract in the NHL with RDS and Bell Media which owns 20% of the Habs does not want rival TVAS to get any bigger. The Habs will say publically they would love to see Nords 2.0 happen but all they need is 10 US owners saying no and it is obvious how Jacobs feels.

“Quebec is challenged, I’ll put it nicely. Look at the income base and the population base and there probably isn’t a smaller market, so they’re really going to have to distinguish themselves in some other way. You look at Houston, and it’s the fifth-largest market in North America versus the 105th(market), let’s say. They have a different situation there. Economically they’re challenged and numerically they’re challenged. They just don’t have the numbers. We have enthusiastic fans there – there’s no doubt about that.”

Jacobs' body language gave him away concerning relocation.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Winnipeg had to do it in 2011.

Winnipeg's NHL season tickets sold out | CBC Sports

I truly believe that Nords 2.0 might not happen simply to keep the Habs monopoly in most of Quebec Province. Gatineau is right across the river from Ottawa yet the Habs are still very popular there. Montreal has the second largest local TV contract in the NHL with RDS and Bell Media which owns 20% of the Habs does not want rival TVAS to get any bigger. The Habs will say publically they would love to see Nords 2.0 happen but all they need is 10 US owners saying no and it is obvious how Jacobs feels.

“Quebec is challenged, I’ll put it nicely. Look at the income base and the population base and there probably isn’t a smaller market, so they’re really going to have to distinguish themselves in some other way. You look at Houston, and it’s the fifth-largest market in North America versus the 105th(market), let’s say. They have a different situation there. Economically they’re challenged and numerically they’re challenged. They just don’t have the numbers. We have enthusiastic fans there – there’s no doubt about that.”

Jacobs' body language gave him away concerning relocation.

The thing is the NHL had no choice on the thrashers it was either move them to Winnipeg or fold them. That's why i don't get the ticket drive thing.

Oh i still think quebec will eventually get their team back the issue but its not the right situation for that to happen. Basically a relocation of a eastern conference where the league has no choice but to move team to canada. If the league had better US options do you think winnipeg would have gotten its team back? I doubt it.

The question i have is why give the i don't know instead of toying the company line of " We are happy where the teams are currently at of something like that.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What i find sad is Jacob is being trashed over his honest answer about quebec over twitter. It's not his sole decision rather quebec gets a team or not, its up to the entire BOG members to decide.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

I agree. 650m is too much. NHL needs to lower the price, or they will be stuck without houston.
What i find sad is Jacob is being trashed over his honest answer about quebec over twitter. It's not his sole decision rather quebec gets a team or not, its up to the entire BOG members to decide.
He's the chairman. What he said was awful. The NHL is tone deaf and a league with so many lockouts should not be scaring it's canadian fanbase away.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

"Be honest and transparent with us."

"We don't like what you said."

My problem with what Jacobs said about Quebec comes after he gushes about Winnipeg. Quebec City is a small market but Winnipeg is even smaller. TSN3 covers a huge part of Canada...........that is unpopulated.

1024px-TSN_Regional_Feeds.svg.png

A team in Quebec City would have limited anglo media appeal but to the francophones, there would be strong support in the entire province and that includes the Île de Montréal.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Bingo

member 157595

I agree. 650m is too much. NHL needs to lower the price, or they will be stuck without houston.

He's the chairman. What he said was awful. The NHL is tone deaf and a league with so many lockouts should not be scaring it's canadian fanbase away.
The NHL isn't worried about scaring Canadian fans away because they know they'll spend money on the product like a drug addict getting a fix no matter what happens.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

You know what's even more head scratching ?

Why would Jacobs and all other NHL owners ''deffer'' Quebec City's expansion when they could have simply refused it ? Were they really scared of the backlash a ''small canadian, not TV big, not $ big'' could create ? Like really ? We're so small but yet NHL doesn't want to hurt us...I wonder why. Maybe because they still need to sell us 150$ tickets for preseason games or maybe they do want us to watch TVA Sports who paid 1.2 billion for TV rights...
They put them selves in this weird scenario and are now trying by all means to get out of it. Their problem.

A team in Quebec City would have limited anglo media appeal but to the francophones, there would be strong support in the entire province and that includes the Île de Montréal.

Just to note that while Quebec City doesn't have the anglo population Montreal has, we do have a big enough Anglo population to have their own school board.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
I find this a rather remarkable little interview ... kudos to the reporters. Sure seems like he's acknowledging relocation has indeed been a topic of discussion around the table. Interesting that when asked about QC, he immediately raises Houston. If I were betting, I'd start to move my chips onto the Phoenix-to-Houston Relo square (and reserve a few for the Un-named Eastern Team-to-Quebec Emergency Relo square.)

Reactions: Llama19

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

"Be honest and transparent with us."

"We don't like what you said."
True. And it's not just him either.
The NHL isn't worried about scaring Canadian fans away because they know they'll spend money on the product like a drug addict getting a fix no matter what happens.
And it's sad. What exactly has it gotten them is the question I would ask too.

Reactions: Hull and Oates

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Jacobs is one of the more polarizing of the owners. I do think Quebec City gets their team back eventually through relocation. The Hurricanes new owner's really not that impressive and I think he ends up selling soner rather than later.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
In other news...NHL could be a 10 billion $ entity today, if they didn't have Jeremy Jacobs as the main leader.

Really, the NHL would be that big with more Canadian teams? Adding more Canadian teams just splits the pie more ways it doesn't make the pie bigger. And the notion that this is all on Jacobs is ridiculous, pretty sure most of the other owners are on board also. Montreal doesn't want a team in Quebec City despite what they say publicly.

Reactions: DaveG

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Really, the NHL would be that big with more Canadian teams? Adding more Canadian teams just splits the pie more ways it doesn't make the pie bigger. And the notion that this is all on Jacobs is ridiculous, pretty sure most of the other owners are on board also. Montreal doesn't want a team in Quebec City despite what they say publicly.
Yup, he's not bettman's boss or anything, he's not the one who directed bettman to fight for the coyotes the past 10 years.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I already knew Jacobs was a moron, but now, after those comments, he looks even dumber.

In other news...NHL could be a 10 billion $ entity today, if they didn't have Jeremy Jacobs as the main leader.

I've been on the QC-needs-A-team bandwagon for years now, however NHL wouldn't be a $10 billion dollar entity, MLB is at about 12-14 (with NFL around 16-18 I believe) and NBA is in between baseball and hockey, NHL will never get higher than 4th. What helps the NBA a lot is that players really interact with fans, i.e. all stars have social media, they interact with the crowd more etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad