Value of: Jenner to a contender at 2024 TDL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Likely preconditions for this to happen:

- Jackets are out of playoff picture by Feb/Mar
- Jackets need a good asset (1st round pick) to upgrade center ice/defense/goaltending for 2024-25
- Jenner is still scoring at similar rate as previous seasons
- Jenner and the Jackets know he might not able to play at high level beyond this season (he's had issues with back)
- Jenner is open about being traded to a contender

So the question is who would want to take Jenner for a 1st+? I would imagine the 1st would have to be in one of the next two drafts. The + could be a prospect or another pick.

Would his value be lower than that if there's a high risk he'll spend a lot of time on IR in the final two years of his contract?

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
CBJ won't trade their captain just because you think they should or another... fan... would love to have him.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Edmonton is probably going to be buying at the deadline again this year. If they can't find a RD to upgrade with, they could have interest in a player like Jenner for the 3rd line. Making the money work would be a challenge.

Yeah, can't really see it myself. Moving cap to fit Jenner in would make the cost too prohibitive. Would love the guy though.,

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Jackets and Jenner don't believe he'll be able to keep this up, likely something went wrong this season and then you're not getting that 1st +

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
If jets are looking legit I'd do a 1st + D prospect to shore up our center depth.
Do they have a D prospect with good size and defensive tools? If not, I'd think Jackets would rather take another pick(s) instead.

Trading the 30yo captain out when he still has term remaining is a great way to pull the plug on the whole room.
Even if it was Jenner's own request?

If Jackets and Jenner don't believe he'll be able to keep this up, likely something went wrong this season and then you're not getting that 1st +
If everyone agreed that there's about 50% chance Jenner will LTIRetire at some point during the final two years of his deal, what would be a realistic return then if not 1st+?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Let's evaluate them:

Very possible, altho we're hoping otherwise.
- Jackets need a good asset (1st round pick) to upgrade center ice/defense/goaltending for 2024-25
Seems more than a little silly as the Jackets have lots of really good assets already to work with.
Possible, altho if Fantilli really takes off he might not be playing as much with the top wingers anymore.
- Jenner and the Jackets know he might not able to play at high level beyond this season (he's had issues with back)
I'd think that would kind of tank his trade value, thus defeating the purpose of this exercise, so this condition would also have to include nobody else actually knowing about it.
...something he's never given even the slightest hint of being interested in, outside of making Columbus a contender.

In short - while the preconditions are probably accurate, I also suspsect they're so wildly improbable as to be borderline absurd to contemplate. It's about up there with theories of the Jackets picking 1st overall this year... or for that matter, playing in the Cup finals this year. Not impossible but nobody's really going to take that prediction seriously.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

So the question is who would want to take Jenner for a 1st+? I would imagine the 1st would have to be in one of the next two drafts. The + could be a prospect or another pick.

Would his value be lower than that if there's a high risk he'll spend a lot of time on IR in the final two years of his contract?
were he a 1yr rental the best he could do is a 2nd that could be a 1dpst based on making conf finals, cup finals, win cp and he plays 50%

but he has 2 full years left. he’s unlikely to get moved

Let's evaluate them:

Very possible, altho we're hoping otherwise.

Seems more than a little silly as the Jackets have lots of really good assets already to work with.

Possible, altho if Fantilli really takes off he might not be playing as much with the top wingers anymore.

I'd think that would kind of tank his trade value, thus defeating the purpose of this exercise, so this condition would also have to include nobody else actually knowing about it.

...something he's never given even the slightest hint of being interested in, outside of making Columbus a contender.

In short - while the preconditions are probably accurate, I also suspsect they're so wildly improbable as to be borderline absurd to contemplate. It's about up there with theories of the Jackets picking 1st overall this year... or for that matter, playing in the Cup finals this year. Not impossible but nobody's really going to take that prediction seriously.
He has 3 full years left on his contract. Not a next summer UFA.

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't really see Columbus as a team that's deep enough down the middle to be moving their capable center-playing captain with term remaining on a solid value contract.

It'd have to be a complete disaster season with a mass exodus occurring all around to even consider it. It'd also have to be for an absolute haul. Jenner isn't fast, but he's everything else a playoff team covets in a player.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
So him and Columbus agree his back won’t allow him to play past this year yet some sucked is gunna pay a 1st+? I get Dubas played ball with Foligno but this seems kinda far fetched.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad