Value of: Jeff Skinner

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Skinner is earning $10M per for the next 5 season. Cap Hit is $9M for 7 seasons. Nobody would complain with this hideous contract. Easily among the worst in the league and unmovable unless significant retention or a huge prospect incentive which still might not enough.

Since typing out the same reply to the same response is a waste of time, I'll just quote myself:

Or instead of doing something as stupid as giving up someone as important to the team's future as Cozens (on top of an unprotected first), the Sabres could just buy out Skinner:

Jeff Skinner Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Since apart from three specific years, his cap hit averages out to $2.4 million a year over 12 years

Of course doing the obvious thing that benefits the team the most wouldn't allow fools to make multi-page threads on Skinner

Reactions: IlikeEich

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Since the buyout is 39m his value is -6 1st round picks.

6.5m per pick may actually be generous.

explore

Jun 28, 2011
Since the buyout is 39m his value is -6 1st round picks.

6.5m per pick may actually be generous.

Yup, the Sabres are going to give away 6 first-round picks instead of buying out Skinner.

Or like the other genius said, they'll give away Dahlin instead of buying out Skinner.

Or as the not quite as much of a genius said, the Sabres will give away Cozens and an unprotected first instead of buying out Skinner.

The Sabres will do all of these things that are far more damaging to the team than buying out Skinner because otherwise what will fools making dimwit proposals do with their free time?

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Yup, the Sabres are going to give away 6 first-round picks instead of buying out Skinner.

Or like the other genius said, they'll give away Dahlin instead of buying out Skinner.

Or as the not quite as much of a genius said, the Sabres will give away Cozens and an unprotected first instead of buying out Skinner.

The Sabres will do all of these things that are far more damaging to the team than buying out Skinner because otherwise what will fools making dimwit proposals do with their free time?
The question is NOT what should the Sabers do? ...

The question is what is the value of Skinner?

-6 1st round picks is his value based or the Marleau deal.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Nothing to do but run with him for a couple years and try to get out on the back of the deal if they have to. In the meantime, the wagons are already hitched. You may as well try steering it.

explore

Jun 28, 2011
The question is NOT what should the Sabers do? ...

The question is what is the value of Skinner?

-6 1st round picks is his value based or the Marleau deal.

This context definitely changes things.

Of course, you'd have to ignore that Skinner has a full NMC clause that he last used to limit his trade options to Buffalo or Toronto to be close to his parents and there's no indication that he'd suddenly be willing to waive it

But ignoring the reality that Skinner won't waive his NMC to be traded, and ignoring that the Sabres wouldn't pay a cost to trade Skinner that's more expensive to the team than buying him out, and lastly ignoring that all of these "hypotheticals" aren't even remotely grounded in reality, then of course the answer to the question of what is Skinner's value is definitely "6 1st round picks"

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
is it out of the question? Of course not.

Is ANY team in the NFL going to take on a 7 year 9 million AAV contract in the hope that Skinner stops being a replacement level player and goes back to his 30+ goal form? No chance in hell.

Would you stick your hand in a huge pile of dog crap because you see something shiny at the bottom that might be a diamond, but is almost certainly a piece of tin foil?

Why should any NHL team do the same?
I never once said I would take on that contract . I simply pointed out that Jeff skinner can still be a 30 goal scorer.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Why doesn't Buffalo just use him as a top 6 player with other top 6 players. Put Mitch Marner on the 4th line and give him 13 minutes of ice time with plugs in a checking role and he suddenly doesn't look worth 8 figures either

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You forgot the biggest injury of all....pride. It appears that a lot of guearanteed money seems to bleed pride out and scab it over with complacancy.
Only this is not Skinner's pride, but the head coach. Because Skinner plays well, but does not produce on the fourth line, although he definitely helps Lazar and Sheahan to create scoring chances, another thing is that Eichel and Hall also do not produce in ES, they look bad, are they bad players too?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Only this is not Skinner's pride, but the head coach. Because Skinner plays well, but does not produce on the fourth line, although he definitely helps Lazar and Sheahan to create scoring chances, another thing is that Eichel and Hall also do not produce in ES, they look bad, are they bad players too?
Eichel looks disinterested out there, which is alarming considering he is the team captain. I’m sure a skinner buyout is coming sooner rather then later. I think there’s also a less then 5% chance Hall resigns there. This is going to be a big offseason for Buffalo I think.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I said move him up a line. From playing with Lazar and Sheahan to Eakin and Cozens or Mitts. So from the 4th to the 3rd line.
Is Cozens done on line 2? I know the goal is to replace Staal permanently, but figured theyd leave him on wing until theyre out of teh playoff hunt then transition him to 2C when Staal is traded at the deadline.

But back to Skinner, l3-l4 are basically the same line TOI wise. 1-2 are running the show.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Eichel looks disinterested out there, which is alarming considering he is the team captain. I’m sure a skinner buyout is coming sooner rather then later. I think there’s also a less then 5% chance Hall resigns there. This is going to be a big offseason for Buffalo I think.
Sadly happens every season and sad to be this early. Does he ask out this offseason?

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
The Leafs paid a first to get rid of the last year of Marleau who was still somewhat effective but over paid at 6 million. It's terrifying to think what it would take to get out from under this contract.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Is Cozens done on line 2? I know the goal is to replace Staal permanently, but figured theyd leave him on wing until theyre out of teh playoff hunt then transition him to 2C when Staal is traded at the deadline.

But back to Skinner, l3-l4 are basically the same line TOI wise. 1-2 are running the show.

Cozens flops around between the 2nd and 3rd, depending on who is actually in the lineup.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Sadly happens every season and sad to be this early. Does he ask out this offseason?
It’s a definite possibility. Especially with all the rumors from last offseason. Sabre’s really have to try and make the playoffs IMO. If not I think he asks the team for a trade. They would get a real good package for him. Take those assets, Cozens, their 1st rounder and start building from there. Name Dahlin captain and bite the bullet for 2 years or so. That way they have the foundation to at least be in the mix

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
It’s a definite possibility. Especially with all the rumors from last offseason. Sabre’s really have to try and make the playoffs IMO. If not I think he asks the team for a trade. They would get a real good package for him. Take those assets, Cozens, their 1st rounder and start building from there. Name Dahlin captain and bite the bullet for 2 years or so. That way they have the foundation to at least be in the mix
I dont think you can try to make the playoffs and build. If you try, then you dont trade Hall and Staal right? Or coast by, and finish bottom 5, trade Hall and Staal at the deadline, the trade Eichel for a bounty.

Hall - 1st + A prospect
Staal - late 1st but likely a 2nd and B prospect
Eichel - ????

All of a sudden you have a ton of futures to build around Dahlin and Cozens. It doesnt solve the Skinner problem, but at least Okposo is off the books soon.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I dont think you can try to make the playoffs and build. If you try, then you dont trade Hall and Staal right? Or coast by, and finish bottom 5, trade Hall and Staal at the deadline, the trade Eichel for a bounty.

Hall - 1st + A prospect
Staal - late 1st but likely a 2nd and B prospect
Eichel - ????

All of a sudden you have a ton of futures to build around Dahlin and Cozens. It doesnt solve the Skinner problem, but at least Okposo is off the books soon.

for sure. If you know Eichel wants out, this would be the year to deal him. That the ultimate question though I guess. What they ultimately want to do at the end of the day. Trade all and stack to cupboard or try to appease Eichel and try to stay in the playoff hunt... i guess the standing will dictate a lot of what they do

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Jeff Skinner Update

Just taking a live look at Jeff Skinner's season in comparison to some other similarity producing players.

Anton Khudobin - $3,333,333 AAV - 6 GP - 2 Assists
Frederik Andersen - $5,000,000 AAV - 10 GP - 1 Assist
Joonas Korpisalo - $2,800,000 AAV - 7 GP - 1 Assist
Braden Holtby - $4,300,000 AAV - 7 GP - 1 Assist
Mikko Koskinen - $4,500,000 AAV - 12 GP - 1 Assist
Casey DeSmith - $1,250,000 AAV - 5 GP - 1 Assist
Philipp Grubauer - $3,333,333 - 9 GP - 1 Assist
Jeff Skinner - $9,000,000 - 10 GP - 1 Assist

Don't forget Jeff Skinner has 6 years left on his current contract and because of his signing bonus in 2022-2023 the deal is basically buy-out proof until then.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Im pretty sure there is no deal to be made for Skinner that wouldnt be very painful for Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad