Jeff Skinner vs Anthony Mantha

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think Mantha was primarily hired as a "pump and dump" to get a 3rd round pick at the deadline or whatever. (Unless Flames go 82-0)

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Broberg was available for 1.8M, could have got Holloway too for the combined 3M that Skinner signed for :popcorn:

Ya, I think they were still on a high from coming so close and just didn’t really think it through, honestly. Took existing players for granted and went for a piece they don’t need.

I think Skinner ultimately finds his role in Edmonton though.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Ya, I think they were still on a high from coming so close and just didn’t really think it through, honestly. Took existing players for granted and went for a piece they don’t need.

I think Skinner ultimately finds his role in Edmonton though.
Skinner is a known commodity, he will do just fine on an offensively minded team. You just have to hope they can fix the defence to cover the extra deficiencies he brings with him

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Skinner doesnt have any playoff experience...so he could be even worst than that

True. Skinner in the playoffs is a total unknown but given Mantha's injury issues and general lack of giving a shit, I'd still rather have Skinner in the postseason.

Something tells me Skinner making the postseason for the first time in his 10+ year career would have him motivated.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Speaking as an unbiased third party: Anthony Mantha
Mantha has looked quite good (saw him live in van last week) and while not quite at the level scoring wise as Skinner but Mantha has a lot of attributes that the oilers team is missing right now. He's winning pick battles, engaged physically and is quicker than I thought.

For his sake I hope he doesn't lack consistency from game to game, like years past.

A bit off topic but aside from game 1 where Silovs stunk, the flames have looked pretty good. Great potential in net. Rasmus and Weeger are elite IMHO and if they continue getting the best versions of Huby and Mantha along with Kadri, Coleman, Sharongovich, Zary, Kuzmenko Pops etc, that's not a bad forward group at all.

Begs the question tho since there's a lot of teams that would covet quite a few guys on their roster, are the flames still open for business? Where they even heavily motivated to sell?

As a nuck fan I'd have no issue if Allvin outbids the rest of the gms for Anderson or Weeger, if they are available.

The flames remind me of the kings of few years ago when they were sputtering and semi open for trades after realizing their daunted prospect pool wasn't so daunting and they made a few trades and made some good signings and ended making the playoffs.

I'm not super versed on their prospect pool but they've done well with the guys they've promoted along with a few near ready in the AHL. Wolf is the wild card, if he breaks out and puts up good numbers I could see them passing the kings potentially making a WC possible. Crazy.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Who was available at that price? I feel like they were just spending their remaining $ on the best they could get, not realizing it would lead to actually losing a defenseman as well.

Don’t think you can judge this one until we see both guys with the new teams awhile.
There were plenty of D available, instead of spending $7m on two older wingers the Oilers could have added one of Lindell, Roy or Pesce for a slight overpay, and there were probably 10-15 more UFA's available for around $3.5m, or how about instead of low-balling your own 8th OV pick Broberg to the point where he accepted an offer sheet they could have had one of those wingers and him. Hell, even Jake Bean would look good in that top 6.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Why are people acting as if Mantha is the type of player who dominates physically and also scores points? Don't we have ample evidence that that is not who he is?

I hope that Mantha works out for the Flames, but he was definitely a major bust in his two months in Vegas. Might have been a wake-up call for his career though.

Skinner, who knows how he will ultimately fit in? Sometimes players mesh, sometimes they don't. Too early to tell.

Ask again in three months.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
I hope that Mantha works out for the Flames, but he was definitely a major bust in his two months in Vegas. Might have been a wake-up call for his career though.

Skinner, who knows how he will ultimately fit in? Sometimes players mesh, sometimes they don't. Too early to tell.

Ask again in three months.

Mantha has been major bust everywhere outside of 2 (43 and 67 games) seasons 7 years ago.

Skinner is twice the player Mantha is and despite the couple of bad seasons in his career, mostly his seasons have been good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad