Jeff Skinner vs Anthony Mantha

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Mantha. Tough as nails when he wants to be, will drop the gloves, goes to the dirty areas and hits. If he was more consistent he would easily be a 60pt guy.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Both were off season 1 yr signings for approximately the same $$. Skinner with Edmonton and Mantha with Calgary. Which club made the smarter signing?
Calgary was smarter. Oilers signed another soft player that will disappear in playoffs

Skinner is the better player, Mantha is probably more what the Oilers could have used, but none play defense so the Oilers disappoint in any case?
Mantha hits, Skinner doesnt. Mantha is tougher and can fight, Skinner doesnt. Mantha is big and Skinner isnt. How is Skinner any better? Scoring some perimeter goals in regular season doesnt make him better, he is very one dimensional.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Don't think either guy is a bad bet.

Skinner has been a reliable goalscorer his whole career and is a better offensive talent. Edmonton is constantly ragged on for being a two man show, so going and getting more legitimate top six players is a good move, even if they still need defensive help.

Mantha can still help offensively and offers a more physical game when he wants. Calgary isn't expected to be competing, and Mantha helps insulate young kids from being overwhelmed while also being a decent and serviceable contributer during down years.

Both are on 1 year, cheap deals.

I really don't think there's a right or wrong answer here and both clubs signed guys that can equally help them in the now.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Edmonton should have used the money on a defenseman, so Mantha easily.

Who was available at that price? I feel like they were just spending their remaining $ on the best they could get, not realizing it would lead to actually losing a defenseman as well.

Don’t think you can judge this one until we see both guys with the new teams awhile.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Who was available at that price? I feel like they were just spending their remaining $ on the best they could get, not realizing it would lead to actually losing a defenseman as well.

Don’t think you can judge this one until we see both guys with the new teams awhile.
You dont build a cup winning team by getting the "best" name you can get. You build them by seeing which player is a fit, which areas you lack and which ones can contribute in playoffs. I guess Oilers just went after names...arvidsson, skinner etc. Now they are more of a one dimensional team and lack those high energy, grind it out, meat and potatoe hockey players. You dont win playoff games by being soft and on the perimeter.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
You dont build a cup winning team by getting the "best" name you can get. You build them by seeing which player is a fit, which areas you lack and which ones can contribute in playoffs. I guess Oilers just went after names...arvidsson, skinner etc. Now they are more of a one dimensional team and lack those high energy, grind it out, meat and potatoe hockey players. You dont win playoff games by being soft and on the perimeter.

What a weird name for a defenseman. It’s more like some sentences telling me stuff I already know.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Edmonton created a rift in their locker room, half the room loves the older brother Jeff, half loves the young brother Stuart. It screwed up the team chemistry and I'm told that Stuart doesn't even acknowledge him as his brother, when asked about playing with his big brother he knowingly lied and said "haha we're not related." Dark times ahead in Edmonton

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think both were decent bets for 1 year deals. I like Mantha more when he’s on his game, but Skinner has been more consistent through his career. Both have a low floor though so we’ll see.

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
Are you implying that this is a description of Mantha? And that's what the Oilers missed out on by not signing him?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Mantha. Tough as nails when he wants to be, will drop the gloves, goes to the dirty areas and hits. If he was more consistent he would easily be a 60pt guy.

Unfortunately he rarely wants to be.

Mantha is a floater who occasionally tries hard when he gets mad but mostly fails to utilize his size and considerable talent.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Some interesting takes on Skinner. Not a tough choice, I’d take him all day here. He runs hot and cold with production but when he’s hot he tears it up. Playing with either of the big two and getting a pp spot I think he’s a safer bet for production. You don’t know what you’re getting with Mantha imo. How often is he that power forward?

It’s fair to say they should’ve chosen a solid dman over either.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Why are people acting as if Mantha is the type of player who dominates physically and also scores points? Don't we have ample evidence that that is not who he is?
When comparing him to Skinner, he does all those things. It’s just exaggerated due to his bad Skinner is in all those areas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad