Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner re-signs. 8 years, $9M AAV, Bought Out 6/29/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Buyout Skinner, go get a 2 year player to replace him. Year 3 that player leaves and the cap balances out. Elevate players to save salary year 3 then go spend it again year 4. You can buyout Skinner and win all around (except year 3).
I won't be shocked if PKane on a 2 year deal happens especially if Adams cannot land a quality top 6 forward in a trade before UFA kicks off.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
If you can't spend your way out of being a bad team, then you're a bad owner and bad GM. You absolutely can make your team better by spending more if you are halfway decent at your job.

You can't be competitive in this league when you aren't spending to the cap. There is no excuse for not doing it.

There is a LOT of excuse for not doing it when you are in a market like Buffalo and have the last 13 seasons under your belt.

Though, I guess you can always sign the next Leino, Skinner or Taylor Hall and everything will be fine.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
There is a LOT of excuse for not doing it when you are in a market like Buffalo and have the last 13 seasons under your belt.

Though, I guess you can always sign the next Leino, Skinner or Taylor Hall and everything will be fine.
Guess who signed those deals? Shitty GMs with no experience. You're ignoring the part where I said you have to be halfway decent at your job.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Or, you could trade for good players and spend near the cap without signing players to bad UFA deals.

That is an option, too.

Reactions: debaser66

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
No offense, but doing this is literally a full time job.

No offense taken. And don’t take offense that there are 31 other teams the Sabres are competing against for players services and they don’t have a great track record around the league.

I’ll stick with my original point. Backing yourself into a corner that you have to spend to the cap can land a team in cap hell.

The Sabres very well may end up bringing in some very good players and not be near the cap. Or they may spend to the cap and be a hell of a lot better.

Dollars is not going to determine that. Smart acquisitions will.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I’m not ignoring anything.
Then why are you using the examples you used -- GMS with no experience -- and not all of he UFAs that good GMs like Bill Zito and Jim Nill have signed?

OK, tell us all who’s available, what teams are in the market for said players, and the compensation to land those players.
Again, just look at the teams with good GMs and you'll have a template for how to do it. You literally have used only examples of historic disaster signings, which make up an extremely small percentage of those types of deals. Good deals that help the teams are much more prevalent.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
No offense taken. And don’t take offense that there are 31 other teams the Sabres are competing against for players services and they don’t have a great track record around the league.

I’ll stick with my original point. Backing yourself into a corner that you have to spend to the cap can land a team in cap hell.

The Sabres very well may end up bringing in some very good players and not be near the cap. Or they may spend to the cap and be a hell of a lot better.

Dollars is not going to determine that. Smart acquisitions will.
You need dollars. What the hell are you even arguing here? If they have cap space, and have good player assessments, they should use the space and it will definitely make them better. You really can't argue otherwise.

goach

Jun 30, 2013
Guess who signed those deals? Shitty GMs with no experience. You're ignoring the part where I said you have to be halfway decent at your job.
Is there a GM who doesn't sign shitty deals? Maybe coaches can't utilize them correctly?

Is there a GM who doesn't sign shitty deals? Maybe coaches can't utilize them correctly?
However a good GM fixes his mistakes quickly.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
You need dollars. What the hell are you even arguing here? If they have cap space, and have good player assessments, they should use the space and it will definitely make them better. You really can't argue otherwise.

I can argue otherwise. There may be players that can be acquired via trade that fill this roster out with better players that don’t raise our cap numbers in a big way.

And I’m not arguing so why don’t you settle your little self down.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Not really. Both Charmin soft one-way wingers.

1718932528934.png

Reactions: Willgamesh

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Kane sucks defensively but he’s a massive upgrade on Skinner. Like one is legitimately a HoF contender and the other is a footnote in NHL history. You can figure out who is who.

We’re not getting the 26yo Kane that was an offensive dynamo on cup teams. I don’t give a f*** what he did for Chicago, I only care what he can do for the Sabres. Can he do something much different or better than Skinner next season? Almost certainly no.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
We’re not getting the 26yo Kane that was an offensive dynamo on cup teams. I don’t give a f*** what he did for Chicago, I only care what he can do for the Sabres. Can he do something much different or better than Skinner next season? Almost certainly no.

I’ll give you that he’s not the same Kane as a younger version. But he definitely brought a different swagger to the Wings last year, which played up and down their lineup.

Maybe this season he falls off that predicted cliff. Which would be a Sabre thing to happen. But they’d learn something from him because everyone would pick his brain (and no, I’m not saying sign him for that, as that would be a bonus).

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Well he's better and always has been. Even at this age he had a better season than Jeff, he's a better PP, he's got that veteran playoff experience. I'm not saying Kane is the perfect top 6 option, I'd rather have someone like Buch, but Kane can still be productive.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Last year in Detroit, he put up 47 pts (20g+27a) in 50 games coming off of hip resurfacing surgery that many were skeptical he could come back from.

I would be confident that Kane would give the Sabres more in the top six and on the PP than Skinner would in 2024-25.

I get all the off the ice/character questions about PKane. But, from a pure on the ice POV, I'd take PKane next year over Skinner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad