Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner re-signs. 8 years, $9M AAV, Bought Out 6/29/24

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I don't understand the fear of worrying about what a player is going to do once he's gone.

People were complaining that Adams ran it back and we all wanted change on the roster well he's doing it and now everybody is gonna say everyone we get rid of is gonna win the Stanley Cup.

Who cares? If Adams fills his cap space with proper players and we make the playoffs does it matter what Jeff Skinner does? The guy who was a free agent and could sign with any team he wanted? Of course he's going to have a run next year, the guy is picking his next team.
Im not really worried about what Jeff Skinner does next year. He could play on Toronto for all I care and score a 4 goal game that makes us miss the playoffs by 1 point.

I was merely stating it because people have made the argument that I have personally replied to that you can't win with Skinner and I think it's corny.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Im not really worried about what Jeff Skinner does next year. He could play on Toronto for all I care and score a 4 goal game that makes us miss the playoffs by 1 point.

I was merely stating it because people have made the argument that I have personally replied to that you can't win with Skinner and I think it's corny.
Ahhh I agree. I’m sure Skinner will do just fine elsewhere. But at 9 million, the redundancy he brings on the wing with what we have coming and a potential regression coming… Im okay with this move.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Ahhh I agree. I’m sure Skinner will do just fine elsewhere. But at 9 million, the redundancy he brings on the wing with what we have coming and a potential regression coming… Im okay with this move.
It is what it is, I have my reservations about it especially in year 4,5 and 6 where he's still eating at our cap. I really hope Adams brings in a big time top 6 player to replace him and not just Patrick Kane.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
On the topic of goaltending, I'm not sure I'm overly comfortable with Levi as the back up officially going into next season. Ya he has blossomed well in the minors, but I don't want another situation of say, something happens to UPL (knock on wood) & we're in the same position looking for another quality guy come part way through the season.

Sign a veteran back up imho.
Im way more concerned with Joki being paired with Power again. That would be so disappointing.

Reactions: Fjordy

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Don't forget KA has tried to add vets in the past like Hall and Staal. I think he's not afraid to use all the tools available to a GM to make a team better.
Well, we know the snake oil salesman had a LARGE part in getting Hall and it's rumored a pretty big part in getting Staal. Kind of remains to be seen if KA would have done that unprompted.

We do know that KA tried for one (or two, maybe) bottom-line C/W type that ultimately signed elsewhere.......personally, I'm still convinced that it was Acciari who went to Pittsburgh because Dubas gave him a 3x$2M and an NTC.

We'll see what he does this offseason. He has the ammo.....both in cap space and trade chips. Let's see how/if he uses them.

Reactions: HOOats

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm with you... His on ice play drives me nuts, but I've repeatedly pointed out that he's a net positive. If it's so easy to be a net positive on this team then why doesn't anyone else post consistent positive results?

View attachment 887596

Of our top 10 guys in 5v5 GF%:
  1. Traded
  2. Still here
  3. Everyone wants to trade
  4. Probably in the AHL this year
  5. Still here
  6. Getting bought out
  7. Everyone hates him, or want him as the organization's 8/9 defensemen
  8. Still here
  9. Still here
  10. Hated by most fans
I support a buyout because I think they can do better from a roster construction standpoint, but his on ice impacts will not be easily replaced.

What’s amazing is how poorly he performed in the last third of the season and still wound up with that sort of production slant at five on five.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
What’s amazing is how poorly he performed in the last third of the season and still wound up with that sort of production slant at five on five.

I still wonder how healthy he was down the stretch. but regardless....

I can't even explain how torn I am about guys like Skinner. My hockey opinions are very much rooted in the old school thoughts, I grew up going to the Aud and screaming for physicality and blood. So I have deep rooted values for toughness, physicality, and playing the game the right way.

But when playing the game myself, I was very much a perimeter player, always more focused on speed and skill and a west coast style of puck possession. Shit, I would have been a professional pond hockey player if I was any good and that was a thing :laugh:. I'm also an engineer that is obsessed with numbers and spreadsheets, hence the obsession with sports analytics.

Sooooo.... half of me detests Skinner and the other half goes full moneyball and says "hey stupid, he has more positive on ice impacts that the majority of guys in the league, deal with the warts".

So I guess that's one positive I can take away from a buyout, I don't have to deal with the internal conflict anymore!

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm with you... His on ice play drives me nuts, but I've repeatedly pointed out that he's a net positive. If it's so easy to be a net positive on this team then why doesn't anyone else post consistent positive results?

View attachment 887596

Of our top 10 guys in 5v5 GF%:
  1. Traded
  2. Still here
  3. Everyone wants to trade
  4. Probably in the AHL this year
  5. Still here
  6. Getting bought out
  7. Everyone hates him, or want him as the organization's 8/9 defensemen
  8. Still here
  9. Still here
  10. Hated by most fans
I support a buyout because I think they can do better from a roster construction standpoint, but his on ice impacts will not be easily replaced.
Right, and during this drought it just feels like most of the GMs could have done much better than they did if their overall offseason plans were to simply remove the crappy players on paper and keep the good ones.

We had guys like Ror kicked out, guys like eichel and reinhart asking out, guys like erod underappreciated.

When outside fans point to that 2017 roster as a joke about the Sabres losing despite having future cup winners, most sabres fans are eager to interject it wasn't "losing culture" it was a horrendously constructed defensive group and very questionable depth. Culture played a role then, like it does now, but in retrospect talent was the main issue.

We didn't miss the playoffs by much despite a quinn injury, a tage injury, and a horrible powerplay which coaching should take care of. We've already ditched 3 truly negative impacts in VO, Jost. E. Johnson (yay!). Not saying that should be the extent of it, but it just feels like there's a chance we shoot ourselves in the foot once again, getting too cute. A 2.5M penalty isn't insignificant either even if you think you're going to have guys on ELC

Reactions: Fezzy126

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Well, we know the snake oil salesman had a LARGE part in getting Hall and it's rumored a pretty big part in getting Staal. Kind of remains to be seen if KA would have done that unprompted.

We do know that KA tried for one (or two, maybe) bottom-line C/W type that ultimately signed elsewhere.......personally, I'm still convinced that it was Acciari who went to Pittsburgh because Dubas gave him a 3x$2M and an NTC.

We'll see what he does this offseason. He has the ammo.....both in cap space and trade chips. Let's see how/if he uses them.
We know he tried to get Matt Murray. We know he thought he had a better package than Ottawa for Chychrun. We know he made an offer for P Kane. There are a LOT of players the Sabres get connected to. Buffalo is a tough sell.

I would say the knock on KA is how highly he values his picks and prospects and willingness to part with them. Those assets were needed to rebuild the bottom six last season. Okposo, Girgensons, and Jost coming back last year just killed me.

Anyway - I digress. Skinner thread and all.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If we were competing I'd be all aboard the buyout train.
Now it feels like we're going to have a too little, too late summer that negatively impacts our next GM. Hopefully Kevyn crushes my expectations.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
You only get a 2nd buyout window if a guy files for arbitration and gets an arbitration award.
An arbitration filing is all that's required. The arbitration case does not even need to reach a hearing to trigger the second buy-out window. The window itself opens following the team's last arbitration case either being settled, or decided by hearing.

jamienwalker

Jul 30, 2022
It is what it is, I have my reservations about it especially in year 4,5 and 6 where he's still eating at our cap. I really hope Adams brings in a big time top 6 player to replace him and not just Patrick Kane.
I'm hoping that upgrade is Stamkos for 2, probably 3 years. It would be well worth it. If they're thinking Kane, i really hope they wait a year or two, then re-evaluate the situation.

Reactions: Mr Orangeshirt

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Right, and during this drought it just feels like most of the GMs could have done much better than they did if their overall offseason plans were to simply remove the crappy players on paper and keep the good ones.

We had guys like Ror kicked out, guys like eichel and reinhart asking out, guys like erod underappreciated.

When outside fans point to that 2017 roster as a joke about the Sabres losing despite having future cup winners, most sabres fans are eager to interject it wasn't "losing culture" it was a horrendously constructed defensive group and very questionable depth. Culture played a role then, like it does now, but in retrospect talent was the main issue.

We didn't miss the playoffs by much despite a quinn injury, a tage injury, and a horrible powerplay which coaching should take care of. We've already ditched 3 truly negative impacts in VO, Jost. E. Johnson (yay!). Not saying that should be the extent of it, but it just feels like there's a chance we shoot ourselves in the foot once again, getting too cute. A 2.5M penalty isn't insignificant either even if you think you're going to have guys on ELC
It's insane to buy him out because of penalties. People are fixed on the $9 M cap but the remedy sucks and this narrative that Skinner is horrible, doesn't play D or hit really ignores what he can do. At the very least, you play out one more season with him before a buy out unless you make a trade.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It's insane to buy him out because of penalties. People are fixed on the $9 M cap but the remedy sucks and this narrative that Skinner is horrible, doesn't play D or hit really ignores what he can do. At the very least, you play out one more season with him before a buy out unless you make a trade.
I think you don't see the whole picture of why they are buying him out.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

GRAx8ObWkAANP0C.jpg

From a cash AND a cap space perspective, a buyout now makes way more sense than a buyout in a year from now.

And if they are buying him out, they were going to fill out their top 6 with other wingers and Skinner in the bottom 6 is a terribad idea.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
People keep saying this but it's not really definitive.

Save more cap space this season, and then less every subsequent season.
It saves $7.55M in cap space in 2024-25. And it only costs $445k more for each of the following 4 seasons and then $2.445M more in 29-30.

That is still $3.33M less against the cap than if they keep him through this season and then buy him out next offseason.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
People keep saying this but it's not really definitive.

Save more cap space this season, and then less every subsequent season.

It saves $7.55M in cap space in 2024-25. And it only costs $445k more for each of the following 4 seasons and then $2.445M more in 29-30.

That is still $3.33M less against the cap than if they keep him through this season and then buy him out next offseason.

So it saves Terry money overall, but doesn’t really fit our timeline to do it now.

I’m with JC on this, I just don’t trust that there’s actually a replacement player. I don’t trust that Pegula is gonna spend. I think the impetus for this is saving 7 mil right off the bat, and he’s likely gonna sell in a few years. This benefits Terry, and somehow he’s hoodwinked fans into thinking there’s a plan to turn this into a positive. We already don’t spend, how does Skinner’s contract change that?

If we sign a legit top 6 forward not named Necas I’ll eat my hat. And no, I don’t consider Necas a real move- that’d be giving up draft capital to move laterally and save money, which the cynical part of me fears is what will happen.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

I understand it's less overall, but don't necessarily agree that it's a good way of determining better/worse.

the big cap relief this year which really creates that 3.33M difference is limited by the fact that it can't be filled by contracts with term since that extra space disappears.

And while the 450k is small, I think that going toward an overpayment for like a bottom 6 guy making 2M or something could be useful. Blueger just got 1.8 I think, if there's a similar guy the team wants in free agency, offering 25% over might get us a quality bottom line guy we all want.

Just feel like in a few years we'll be looking back wondering if holding on to him for an extra year would have really been that bad

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I understand it's less overall, but don't necessarily agree that it's a good way of determining better/worse.

the big cap relief this year which really creates that 3.33M difference is limited by the fact that it can't be filled by contracts with term since that extra space disappears.

And while the 450k is small, I think that going toward an overpayment for like a bottom 6 guy making 2M or something could be useful. Blueger just got 1.8 I think, if there's a similar guy the team wants in free agency, offering 25% over might get us a quality bottom line guy we all want.

Just feel like in a few years we'll be looking back wondering if holding on to him for an extra year would have really been that bad
Holding on to him doesn't help the cap in any meaningful way and hurts it big time this year which could be a make or break year for the GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad