Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner, $3M x 1 year

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Probably not because one's a goalie.

It might screw up the lesser knowledgeable fan bases like the canucks though.

To be fair that's actually not a goalie specific criticism of first intials.

Even if both were skaters again, they still wore different numbers. I don't think anyone was getting confused. So if there's numbers, why the extra initial?

Either way, I still want them because it's weird and if we've ever learned anything as fans of this team it's to embrace the weird.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Its why I think how he does as an Oiler will be one of the most interesting regular season stories to follow.

As other have said, Skinner scores goals really only 2 ways...knocking in garbage around the crease, and on the rush. His one timer doesn't exist, he doesn't excel taking shots off an organized PP or offensive zone cycle. Its off the rush or garbage truck.

With that said, can he keep up with McDavid or half of the other forwards? I think the reason he doesn't go deep into the defensive zone is he needs to already 'cheat' a bit to join the rush because he is so slow. And when I say he is slow, he's not average, or a little below average, he is SLOW, like one of the league's slowest straight line skaters.

If he cheats on defense hanging around the blue line, will he get chewed out for not helping in the D-zone? If he does go deep into the D-zone, he literally may not be able to keep up with the rush back the other way.

Like I said, its going to be interesting to watch.
giphy.gif

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Skinner Skinner...Chicken dinner.
Skinner Skinner Overtime winner.
Its got a nice ring to it :thumbu:

Seriously...the man can snipe.
Sure can. I love how fast he can explode laterally as well. Some of these passes he gets back door he just takes one stride and gives himself a wide open net to shoot at on a goalie that's sliding across. He also creates shooting lanes in the higher slot by doing the same thing. May not be the quickest straight line skater, but man is that lateral skating of his a weapon. Makes it harder for shot blockers and harder for goalies who aren't set for the shot when he cuts laterally.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sure can. I love how fast he can explode laterally as well. Some of these passes he gets back door he just takes one stride and gives himself a wide open net to shoot at on a goalie that's sliding across. He also creates shooting lanes in the higher slot by doing the same thing. May not be the quickest straight line skater, but man is that lateral skating of his a weapon. Makes it harder for shot blockers and harder for goalies who aren't set for the shot when he cuts laterally.
100%
He may not be the fastest player getting there but he knows exactly where to go and how to create space.
He gets the puck up fast as well. Doesnt have to dust it off.
It will be a pleasure watching a legit sniper on this team.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
100%
He may not be the fastest player getting there but he knows exactly where to go and how to create space.
He gets the puck up fast as well. Doesnt have to dust it off.
It will be a pleasure watching a legit sniper on this team.
Yup very smart player in the offensive zone. Always finds the soft quiet spots of the ice and McDavid and Drai are going to love watching their passes end up in the back of the net with more regularity. This guy can beat any goalie in the world cleanly and with regularity if you give him the puck in those areas.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I think it will be something like

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Holloway-Ryan-McLeod

Kane on LTIR.
Might try switching RNH and Skinner as well.
Or Draisaitl and RNH.
So many good combos.

Crazy good forward team next year.

If Skinner can figure skate around the D maybe call him the taxidermist.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I'm really happy with this signing, it's going to be pretty awesome when he skates out for his first ever playoff game too!

Reactions: Oilhawks

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I know they're completely different players, but JSkinner highlights reminds me of Eberle with a zippier shot.
This comparison makes more sense than people saying Arvidsson reminds them of Eberle lol

Smaller guys, not amazing speed, high offensive IQ, goal scoring mentality. I think Skinner is a bit better too which is nice

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah one of the strangest takes I've seen yet on this player. He's made a career scoring on clean snipes/dekes from the slot both off the rush and off offensive zone plays. He is the definition of a sniper.
Yep he’s been sniping for over a decade. We have all seen his game. Suggesting he’s some crease monkey is crazy. (Not that being one is a bad thing it’s just not his game)

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Can I come hang with y’all? Kinda kidding, but if the Sabres get off to a slow start I might seriously consider jumping ship until Pegula is gone.

Heart and brain don’t really align on this, I find myself rooting for them no matter what, but dude- Skinner rules. You put him in the right spot, watch 30+ goals happen again. He’s improved as a passer as well, hope I ain’t jinxing shit when I point out he did go ppg over a full season. He can do that again.

I’m sad to lose him, happy to see him land in such a good spot, and it really makes me pull for you guys next year. Savoie is the sweetener on top. I’ll be watchin more next year, that’s for sure, hope Skinner is as good a signing as I think he’ll be.

PS- outsider perspective- isn’t Jason Zucker kinda the “we have Jeff Skinner at home” meme in real life? I can’t believe we cut this dude just to sign a worser version of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad