Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner, $3M x 1 year

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I think trading McLeod would be a mistake, this team will need his youth and speed.
In theory, this makes sense but in reality, McLeod and his youth and speed got scratched in the playoffs, did little to nothing, and had little trust from the coaching staff

I hope he proves me wrong if he comes back but I wouldn’t be sad if we cut ties with him and his 2.1 cap hit

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Skinner Interview w Stauffer now.

- Said Oilers being interested very early played a big part of him choosing here
- Bob said JJ knows Don Meehan (Skinner's agent) for awhile now
- Skinner says he did watch our playoff run but didn't know at that point he'd be looking at a buy out
- Says Knoblauch reached out and they talked before he signed. Knoblauch doing some good recruiting work.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Skinner Interview w Stauffer now.

- Said Oilers being interested very early played a big part of him choosing here
- Bob said JJ knows Don Meehan (Skinner's agent) for awhile now
- Skinner says he did watch our playoff run but didn't know at that point he'd be looking at a buy out
- Says Knoblauch reached out and they talked before he signed. Knoblauch doing some good recruiting work.

Everyone is buying in and trying to make the team better. Love it.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Skinner has shown he can produce at even strength but hopefully our 2nd unit gets more of a look this year with him on it.

My only concern with Skinner is he isnt going to be the guy who battles along the boards or play defensive hockey. He's going to be the guy at the front of the net.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Can't express how happy this makes me. Watching Skinner on the Rangers made me love hockey. This guy is absolutely nasty, he's going to take some lunch money from goalies with McDrai making the passes they do
Hell yeah. A true sniper with incredible finish around the net due to his excellent edge work, hands, and ability to elevate the puck in tight.

This team has needed a true sniper winger for a long time. A one-shot scorer who can change a tight checking game in one moment. Skinner is exactly that, and Arvidsson adds a similar element.

Hyman scored 50+ this year (70 if you count playoffs), but even he isn't that one-shot scorer. Actually so happy to have these two joining this team to start burying some of the clutch chances McDrai set up that guys like Nuge, Foegele, McLeod among others just don't bury nearly enough.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
In theory, this makes sense but in reality, McLeod and his youth and speed got scratched in the playoffs, did little to nothing, and had little trust from the coaching staff

I hope he proves me wrong if he comes back but I wouldn’t be sad if we cut ties with him and his 2.1 cap hit

He's only two years older than Holloway remember. Last year in the playoffs he bled goals, this year he didn't. This year, he wasn't hard enough to play against, so we'll see.

2.1 isn't worth cutting ties, there are better ways to get cap space

My only concern with Skinner is he isnt going to be the guy who battles along the boards or play defensive hockey. He's going to be the guy at the front of the net.

100%, but how many times did McDavid's line need a goal in front of the net in the playoffs. The Panthers were inside Hyman lol

If McSelke is the new room standard, and I really believe it's the culture now, then Skinner will be fine. He played 1000 meaningless games, and now gets the best player who has played feeding him..... as long as he doesn't bleed goals ...... and it's a contract year. He's gritter than his reputation too.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This is a travesty lol.

Nuge has perfect games, and then HF complains he didn't score. Accept Nuge for what Nuge is. If the entire team was Nuge we would always win. Every team in the league is looking for Nuges.
I wasn't shitting on Nuge. I'm just saying we really don't have a one-shot shooter like Skinner on the wing that is going to bury those chances almost automatic. Nuge does a lot of great things on the ice, but he's not an elite shooter.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Only one year removed from an 80 point season. This is potentially a top line player if he can stay healthy and gets some PP minutes.

Imagine he took a 1 year discounted deal here to prop his numbers up and attempt to land another long-term big money deal after playing a year with one of the big guns.

Solid deal nonetheless.
That's what contending teams do historically. They scoop good players at a discount. Does not matter what their motivation is, a chance at the cup or the possibility to increase their market value. Call it a Hossa syndrom.

Healthy Evander Kane?

The dude was unstopable in his first half-season (22 goals in 43 games) and especially playoffs here. 13 goals in 15 games in that post-season! Even last season he managed to bang in 24.
He's been getting worse every year. This season he still managed 20 goals and 40, which is a borderline for a top 6 forward. Won't surprise if this season he does not score 20 goals.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I mean he's a very talented player but my concern is would a player like him have helped us to win a physical series against Vancouver or Florida??
I feel like at this stage we need good players who also bring an edge and toughness ...
Just saying.
There is a trade deadline for that. They won't be going for Ekholm or Henrique this year. But a Kostin or a strong checking forward. I predict Bjugstad will be an Oiler again.

This is a travesty lol.

Nuge has perfect games, and then HF complains he didn't score. Accept Nuge for what Nuge is. If the entire team was Nuge we would always win. Every team in the league is looking for Nuges.
RNH has been a pleasant surprise. Really reached his top end potential.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean he's a very talented player but my concern is would a player like him have helped us to win a physical series against Vancouver or Florida??
I feel like at this stage we need good players who also bring an edge and toughness ...
Just saying.

Yes he would. One shot scorers can break open a game in an instant and even a series even "soft" players. We generate so much high danger chance volume, being able to convert even 15% more of those would tilt several losses the other way.

All the physicality stuff is overrated too in the modern NHL. The Canucks were huffing and puffing their chests after cross checking McDavid in the face thinking they had sent a message and were some how intimidating anyone ... and then proceeded to lose the next two games and the series.

Florida's aggressive fore check got exposed once we started to stretch pass against it and got like 50 breakaways in the final four games of the series.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hell yeah. A true sniper with incredible finish around the net due to his excellent edge work, hands, and ability to elevate the puck in tight.

This team has needed a true sniper winger for a long time. A one-shot scorer who can change a tight checking game in one moment. Skinner is exactly that, and Arvidsson adds a similar element.

Hyman scored 50+ this year (70 if you count playoffs), but even he isn't that one-shot scorer. Actually so happy to have these two joining this team to start burying some of the clutch chances McDrai set up that guys like Nuge, Foegele, McLeod among others just don't bury nearly enough.
100% agree. Good breakdown of Skinner and yes, finally we have the sniper we’ve needed for a long long time.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yes he would. One shot scorers can break open a game in an instant and even a series even "soft" players. We generate so much high danger chance volume, being able to convert even 15% more of those would tilt several losses the other way.

All the physicality stuff is overrated too in the modern NHL. The Canucks were huffing and puffing their chests after cross checking McDavid in the face thinking they had sent a message and were some how intimidating anyone ... and then proceeded to lose the next two games and the series.

Florida's aggressive fore check got exposed once we started to stretch pass against it and got like 50 breakaways in the final four games of the series.
All those Brown and Foegele muffins probably go in. lol

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
This is a travesty lol.

I like what RNH does for this team, but if the entire team was RNH, we wouldn't really score...

Reactions: Duke74

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Only one year removed from an 80 point season. This is potentially a top line player if he can stay healthy and gets some PP minutes.

That's what contending teams do historically. They scoop good players at a discount. Does not matter what their motivation is, a chance at the cup or the possibility to increase their market value. Call it a Hossa syndrom.

He's been getting worse every year. This season he still managed 20 goals and 40, which is a borderline for a top 6 forward. Won't surprise if this season he does not score 20 goals.
He was playing injured all year and most of those goals were 5/5 , and ya he probably won't get 20 this year as he will be on LITR for a big chunk of it

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Don't think it's that simple. Started last season with 5G 13P in 14GP before having his wrist lacerated. Got healthy over the summer and started this season with 11G 20P in 22GP the first 2 months of the season. Not sure when his injury happened but I'd guess it had to be around December when his game fell off a cliff.

I don't think we've seen a healthy Kane outside of the start of the past 2 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad