Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner, $3M x 1 year

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Holy shit, I didn't think they'd actually land him but if this means no Janmark then I'm conflicted. If they can get Janmark inked, this offseason is better than I imagined it would be.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Holloway-RNH-Brown
xxx-Ryan-Perry

That's a serious lineup especially if they get Janmark signed, I sure hope the Kane rumbings aren't true.

I'm all for pretending McLeod is no longer on the team too.

My wish right now is we are shopping McLeod and Henrique still re-signs with us.

Reactions: Biltmore and Duke74

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Not that he'll play the same role, but he was PPG just a season ago playing with Thompson and Tuch on the #1 line/#1 PP.

Problem with him is he needs that role and ice time to be productive. Of course, the whole Buffalo roster regressed last season, but he wasn't able to be effective on any other line and with less ice time.

So I guess if you stick him with McDavid, he's good for 40G. Anywhere else the jury is out.

He's an under-rated pest. And when he's playing that game, he's running his mouth and pissing everyone off on the other team.

Is there something in his game that would keep him from being productive on Draisaitl's wing?

Updated lineup

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Janmark-RNH-Brown
Holloway-McLeod-Perry

JJ for Mayor?

For the first day of free agency that's an insanely well filled out roster.

Reactions: McDoused

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
My favourite part is reading the posts in the thread before Henrique re-signed ("I guess no Henrique then".)

Excited to see Skinner filling the net in the top 6 here

Edit: f***ing autocorrect fail

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Wow, the Oilers are loading up at forward. Browns and Skinners. lol They are over the cap, so something has to give. Ceci or one of the top 6 forwards?

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Second line is going to f***ing feast this year. Draisaitl just went from having no goal scoring wingers to two goal scoring wingers overnight.

Bottom 6 has the potential to be incredible as well with Holloway's continued growth and either a bounce back Kane performance or a Kane trade and Henrique signing. I think Connor Brown puts up 30-40P next year and Janmark around 30.

Does playing with 1 of 2 of the best playmaking centres of the modern era make Skinner happy?

The only thing that might suck for skinner is he might not get PP1 time.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Watch this poise and finish and tell me he doesn't torch Bobrovsky for a couple in a playoff series. Oh and bring a box of tissues:

He's actually an incredible scorer around the net and has a knack for finishing his chances in the slot. As mentioned previously not a great straight line skater, but incredible agility and edge work in the offensive zone. Arvidsson gives them the better straight line guy with an endless motor and strong 2-way game who is also a bit of a sniper himself, and Skinner gives them the skilled offensive zone guy. Draisaitl is going to feast next year.

You know what Skinner might actually be a better fit with McDavid the more I think about it.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Nuge-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane-McLeod-Holloway
Janmark-Henrique-Brown

So many options for line shuffling. Thats a roll 4 lines kind of forward line up if I've ever seen one.

Last edited:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
He's actually an incredible scorer around the net and has a knack for finishing his chances in the slot. As mentioned previously not a great straight line skater, but incredible agility and edge work in the offensive zone. Arvidsson gives them the better straight line guy with an endless motor and strong 2-way game who is also a bit of a sniper himself, and Skinner gives them the skilled offensive zone guy. Draisaitl is going to feast next year.
They may move out RNH. He's on a great contract and has a lot of value.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

You know what Skinner might actually be a better fit with McDavid the more I think about it.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Nuge-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane-McLeod-Holloway
Janmark-Henrique-Brown

So many options for line shuffling. Thats a roll 4 lines kind of forward line up if I've ever seen one.
It will not look like this to start the season. They have 14 forwards under contract now and are over the cap. Derek Ryan could get waived. But I think they will move a forward: Kane, McLeod, maybe even RNH.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They may move out RNH. He's on a great contract and has a lot of value.
Zero chance of that happening.

It will not look like this to start the season. They have 14 forwards under contract now and are over the cap. Derek Ryan could get waived. But I think they will move a forward: Kane, McLeod, maybe even RNH.
Trade Ceci and they're under the cap. LTIR Kane and they're under the cap. Move out McLeod and run 21 on the roster and they're under the cap (most likely). Lots of easy moves to get under the cap.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Zero chance of that happening.

Trade Ceci and they're under the cap. LTIR Kane and they're under the cap. Move out McLeod and run 21 on the roster and they're under the cap (most likely).
I think putting KAne on LTIR is the smartest strategy. Move Ceci out only if confident that Broberg can play consistently.

Zero chance RNH gets moved.
then McLeod. he was a no show in the playoffs.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Is there something in his game that would keep him from being productive on Draisaitl's wing?
He's not someone who can carry the puck, or retrieve a puck on the ozone. He is capable of making an elite pass, but it's not his first instinct. As long as he's largely depended on being a shooter, he should be OK there. As I noted, the whole Sabres game regressed (due to the coach IMO), but he didn't work on the second line with Cozens, and couldn't play with Middlestadt.

I personally think he needs a lot of ice time to be effective, including #1PP, but I don't think he's done scoring goals. Edmonton is probably a great fit for him. A better fit would be somewhere where they need a winger on their top line for a developing elite 1C, but no defensive accountability.

The guy wants to stay in the league and is looking for redemption. He could work out.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think putting KAne on LTIR is the smartest strategy. Move Ceci out only if confident that Broberg can play consistently.

You could but I'd think they'd need to have another centre option planned then for the 4th line. I prefer moving Ceci and finding a 2nd pair right D at the deadline if Broberg is struggling in that role.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
C'mon, he's a center who had... how many assists in 24 playoff games?
200.webp

• Haha
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's not someone who can carry the puck, or retrieve a puck on the ozone. He is capable of making an elite pass, but it's not his first instinct. As long as he's largely depended on being a shooter, he should be OK there. As I noted, the whole Sabres game regressed (due to the coach IMO), but he didn't work on the second line with Cozens, and couldn't play with Middlestadt.

I personally think he needs a lot of ice time to be effective, including #1PP, but I don't think he's done scoring goals. Edmonton is probably a great fit for him. A better fit would be somewhere where they need a winger on their top line for a developing elite 1C, but no defensive accountability.

The guy wants to stay in the league and is looking for redemption. He could work out.
To me he seems like a great fit with McDavid or Draisaitl. Even just watching his highlights he's finding open ice in the offensive zone all the time and McDavid and Drai are 2 of the best in the world at finding guys in that space. His finishing around the net is just something the Oilers don't have. Hyman does it in a "muck it up, grind, puck bounces in off me" kind of way, but he doesn't finish nearly as cleanly as Skinner does. When this guy gets the puck around the net with time he finishes, and he does it in multiple ways. He can elevate in tight and from bad angles. He can one-time it. He can beat a goalie clean on a wrister. And he can use his excellent edgework and lateral ability to go back against the grain on a cross ice pass with the goalie coming across to tuck it around him. I don't think there's a better match for this guy than McDrai if I'm being honest.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Nuge-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane-McLeod-Holloway
Janmark-Henrique-Brown

Love his ability in tight areas. And I do wonder if we should see his Drai -side onetimer on McD’s line. Could be deadly.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad