Value of: Jeff Petry to Dallas/Vegas

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I proposed 2021 1st and Morozov for Petry. That is more than fair I think. Only because Vegas has 5 2nds over the next 2 years and Petry is probably the only Dman likely to be available who can move the needle for them.

I think Bergevin will be targeting 2020 picks with the draft in MTL this June

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I dont think Petry will ever be traded by Berge. He is not in rebuild mode and we have no way of replacing him and his 23 minutes a night. No one in the org is even close to ready and the D already sucks with him in the lineup. Imagine how bad it would be without him?? Im sure that thought sends quivers done Berge's spine. He isnt getting traded.

Well i think trading Petry would be in line with MB's retooling plan, but you are right; there may be no one ready to take his place. Too bad about Juulsen's situation. I thought he was the replacement for Petry.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What possible reason would there be to not trade him? Montreal’s not gonna win anything with him while he’s good, may as well get some assets out of him while you can.

Most think this way yes. But most also don't know how much gains the kids take moving forward and how they fill those holes and reduce the roster flaws. It's risky business either way

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Same here; he could take a lot of pressure off his shoulders if he steals the show when the draft is in Mtl

Any 1st we get will be 20-31 range. Not sure we steal the show in that range. However, maybe if a trade is made and we get a top 5 pick

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
5 years of Pacioretty. FIVE. Un deux trois quatre CINQ. They also traded for 8 1/2 years of Stone and 3 1/2 years of Tatar.
Not a year and a half.
Petry wouldn't be hard to extend. Pacioretty wasn't really worth 7 million. We just wanted to move on from him.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Any 1st we get will be 20-31 range. Not sure we steal the show in that range. However, maybe if a trade is made and we get a top 5 pick

well.. i would count 3 first rounders stealing the show. Best scenario is we draft the Quebequois franchise player in Montréal; worse is we do nothing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
well.. i would count 3 first rounders stealing the show. Best scenario is we draft the Quebequois franchise player in Montréal; worse is we do nothing.

Were are tracking to have a picks like this... 8-12, and two around 40. Maybe he holds onto Tatar and Petry and trades them on draft day? :naughty:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
As a habs fan i'm reluctant in trading Petry just because he eats so many minutes and our depth on the right side is fair weak, but if he were made available, he'd be the top Dman on the market. Just by looking at the standings, the teams that made most sense to me were Dallas and Vegas since all of the other teams in the west have their top 4D locked in and I'm sure the habs would rather deal Petry out of the conference.

What kind of package could you receive back for Petry?

You are probably looking at the Muzzin package

1st round pick
Prospect doing well in the AHL who was a recent second rounder. (Grundstrom)
Prospect doing well in junior who was a recent second rounder. (Durzi)

Petry is better than Muzzin in advanced stats, and is right handed which brings a premium so you might even get more than that.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013

Well, there's plenty of quebecois that could be picked in that range:

- Poirier
- Mavrik Bourque
- Hendrix Lapierre

Perreault is not really a quebecois but he speeks french, his dad is former habs Yanic Perreault.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Were are tracking to have a picks like this... 8-12, and two around 40. Maybe he holds onto Tatar and Petry and trades them on draft day? :naughty:

I dont see Petry going at the TDL, to be honest. Unless there was a young top 4 RD close to the NHL coming back..
summer would make more sense.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I dont see Petry going at the TDL, to be honest. Unless there was a young top 4 RD close to the NHL coming back..
summer would make more sense.

Agreed. More probability Tatar is traded before Petry plus Petry has a 15 team no trade list I believe.

Armada

Nov 21, 2013
As a Habs fan, I would do Petry for Hague straight up.

I would not do Petry for 1st + Korczak.

We need a player coming back the age of Hague in defense.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
If we're looking at prospects hopefully he doesn't grab anyone that we need to protect 1.5 years from now during the Seattle expansion draft

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018

I’m sure you would. However, I doubt Vegas is that stupid to give you a player almost a decade and a half younger than Petry.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

thebonscott

Jun 1, 2017
1st , top10 protected
Hague
Korczak

for Petry 35% retention.
That is not enough

1st , top10 protected
Hague
Korczak

for Petry 35% retention.
Habs not desperate to move him. Vegas just fired a coach they shouldn't of and their core ain't getting younger....they are desperate.

Not enough. Want way more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad