Jeff Marek no longer with Sportsnet - Unknown why

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If its true that this is related to sharing draft pick information, someone powerful likely complained and Sportsnet felt it had no choice. If thats the case, one wonders if he might not be involved with the NHL for a while.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
He "only" has 3 transgressions:

1. Killed Hockey Central @ Noon. His successor show was a lot weaker than what the previous trio of Darren Millard, Kypreos & Doug MacLean used to offer. I had to stop listening to Marek's iteration of the noon show. He was OK with Friedman on 32 Thoughts.
  2. Fake laughs. There's nothing wrong with laughing, but when it strikes you as pre-programmed, it's bad. Kypreos laughs like a madman, too, and it must be partially pretense, but it doesn't sound as unnatural. There was a pitiful videoclip posted on Twitter the other day, where Marek & Friedman are interviewing a player (Nylander?) on the beach in the summer, the player is talking, and you can see Marek raise his hand with the microphone, emit his fake laugh in it, and then let his hand fall back into his lap, without having said anything. Dude, we're not downloading hockey podcasts in order to hear your fake laughs.
  3. Hypocrisy. He worshipped Don Cherry for decades, welcoming him on his podcasts as the biggest celebrity – only to turn against him instantly when his corporate overlords stated that that was the new company line. Ron MacLean light. Must be weird to find himself on the other end of it all of a sudden – karma is a bitch.
X/Twitter is basically all bots now. It has become useless.

Then again, I've never before been so popular among girls of all shapes, forms, and ethnicities. (I annihilate them one by one in my followers list, but they keep coming back.)

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If all he did was he leaked some picks and got fired for that, I think that's ridiculous.

The people who got their feelings hurt by that should stop being such babies. That's no reason to fire a popular personality who added a lot to the network.
Anyone who leaks confidential information at their job would be fired, that's common sense.

This wasn't a case where he's an insider hunting down leaked information in a reporter role. He was being told this information, obviously in confidence, as part of a job.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyone who leaks confidential information at their job would be fired, that's common sense.

This wasn't a case where he's an insider hunting down leaked information in a reporter role. He was being told this information, obviously in confidence, as part of a job.
How do you think confidential information gets out? And there’s nothing confidential about this information either. What was the loss by him leaking it out?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Set up the interview?

The player gets selected, goes to the stage, then goes to the table (that Marek was at)...

what "set-up" is needed?

As I understand it, teams enter the selection at the table and then wait for the green light from the TV production people to take the podium to make the announcement. I recall walking by the cameras at the 2015 Draft and each one had a large cheat sheet with prospect head shots. So this is how they have the reaction shot ready even for unexpected picks like Beckett Sennecke or Mark Visentin.

It's possible that Marek also had a heads up on the pick which would give him a couple extra minutes to review his notes/talking points with each particular prospect. Even with as much prep they do beforehand, it can be tough in the moment to remember his team and/or personal anecdotes even for a short interview.

So I'm not sure if the implication was that Marek shared info that eventually made its way to a team which could have altered their draft strategy? Although I'm not even sure how that would have worked if he only knew pick to pick as opposed to knowing how exactly every pick would unfold.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Don Cherry has been spewing garbage since the 1980's, his senile self couldn't handle the multiculturalism of Canada growing so he had to spew shit like 'you people'.

I clearly understood what he was saying, guy was a racist bitch back in 1989 and he was still a racist bitch until his firing.
It's always tough to separate the artist (Don Cherry) from the art (piano desk).

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
How do you think confidential information gets out? And there’s nothing confidential about this information either. What was the loss by him leaking it out?
There's a difference between anonymously leaking stuff to a reporter when you're a relative nobody, and blatantly telling people info when you're the public face of a company's product

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
His strength is his hockey knowledge and history of the game. His weakness in the media is his lack of fandom and passion to a team.

Only my opinion.

At times he seemed to be allergic about the Leafs. Would rather share his insights about Minnesota or Winnipeg etc etc

I started to tune him out a bit…
Leafs fans when the media doesn't revolve around them for 5min:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There's a difference between anonymously leaking stuff to a reporter when you're a relative nobody, and blatantly telling people info when you're the public face of a company's product
I'm not saying he should've done it. I'm saying that firing one of your most popular personalities because he did something he shouldn't have is a little ridiculous.

There was no loss from what he did.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm not saying he should've done it. I'm saying that firing one of your most popular personalities because he did something he shouldn't have is a little ridiculous.

If the rumor that he did something like that is true, it does give SN an easy way out of his contract. Lord knows they are cutting back on their talent.

Reactions: BHD

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

What's the point of having rules if you're just gunna let him break them because he's a popular personality?

Probably only Friedman (top insider) and Bieksa (top player personality) are the ones above the law at sportsnet. The host/interviewer "bus driver" types are a dime a dozen. David Amber, Scott Oake, Shawn McKenzie, Kyle Bukaskas can all do Marek's job, and so can a whole bunch of others we've never heard of

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
That is not the question we are asking. We are asking what happened

Unless he says it you're not going to get an official answer.

I can see him having the humility to say why if he lands at a place that's comfortable with him doing so (a podcast not owned by a major network or whatever).

If he goes to TSN or EPSN I don't expect he'll say anything whatsoever about it.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Feels like ESPN is definitely gonna pick him up because of the Wyshinski connection and the fact that their hockey coverage is abysmal.

Reactions: luiginb

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What's the point of having rules if you're just gunna let him break them because he's a popular personality?

Probably only Friedman (top insider) and Bieksa (top player personality) are the ones above the law at sportsnet. The host/interviewer "bus driver" types are a dime a dozen. David Amber, Scott Oake, Shawn McKenzie, Kyle Bukaskas can all do Marek's job, and so can a whole bunch of others we've never heard of
But we have to define the degree of the wrong. People aren't supposed to be on social media while working. Do they do so and get caught? Yes, and the punishment usually isn't being fired. It's usually nowhere near that.

Now obviously I'm not saying it's the same exact thing, but what he did is something where there was no real loss. Rules are rules, but if you break them it seems like too big of a punishment for someone with a lot of money in the bank that they get fired because they did something they shouldn't have where no one suffered.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
You rip what you seesaw. And off you go, with your fake laughs.

He pretty much single-handedly destroyed Hockey Central @ Noon, by unceremoniously kicking Darren Millard, Kypreos & MacLean off of it. That trio was always a lot better than what Marek did with the show afterwards. I had to stop following it.

Milquetoast is, indeed, the keyword, and there's only so much of it you can take.

(That Marek also threw Don Cherry under the bus goes without saying; that was required standard behavior of Sportsnet employees.)
Yeah Marek is no loss at all.

Hope he signs with an American network, he'll be forgotten quickly.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the pick is into the NHL at the time Marek is given the info, it doesn't change anything. It does give other clubs a couple of extra minutes to make their decision, but you figure in round 1 they have a sheet with the top whatever number of players they have and just take the next one on their list. Or they look at trading their pick if they see a faller or sense a riser.

Do wonder if it was a purely SN decision or did they get pressure from the NHL to terminate his employment?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad