Jeff Marek no longer with Sportsnet - Unknown why

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
(That Marek also threw Don Cherry under the bus goes without saying; that was required standard behavior of Sportsnet employees.)
Don Cherry made a poor decision talking about, “you people.”

Love him more hate him that was never his place to say anything about that I don’t care if you’re Don Cherry or the Queen of England- nowadays you can’t talk like that, ESPECIALLY on National Television. He needed to get with the times.

Reactions: Chainshot and BLNY

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Don Cherry made a poor decision talking about, “you people.”

Love him more hate him that was never his place to say anything about that I don’t care if you’re Don Cherry or the Queen of England- nowadays you can’t talk like that, ESPECIALLY on National Television. He needed to get with the times.

Don Cherry has been spewing garbage since the 1980's, his senile self couldn't handle the multiculturalism of Canada growing so he had to spew shit like 'you people'.

I clearly understood what he was saying, guy was a racist bitch back in 1989 and he was still a racist bitch until his firing.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
His strength is his hockey knowledge and history of the game. His weakness in the media is his lack of fandom and passion to a team.

Only my opinion.

At times he seemed to be allergic about the Leafs. Would rather share his insights about Minnesota or Winnipeg etc etc

I started to tune him out a bit…
Probably because it’s not a leafs podcast,

Don Cherry has been spewing garbage since the 1980's, his senile self couldn't handle the multiculturalism of Canada growing so he had to spew shit like 'you people'.

I clearly understood what he was saying, guy was a racist bitch back in 1989 and he was still a racist bitch until his firing.
Sadly his daughter passed away last week.

Last edited:

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm torn on Marek. He has a great voice, good knowledge of the game and most importantly has chemistry with Friedman. He was certainly a massive step up over that hack CJ, who has the charisma of a wet paper bag and only made it big because he would "radio" Friedman on twitter.

At the same time, Marek's attitude of holier than thou mixed with bleeding heart got old real fast. There were several instances on their podcasts where I thought to myself "seriously Marek, that's the angle you're going with here?"

Most notably with the neckgaurd stuff last year where his whole schtick for about a month was that they should be mandatory "if for no other reason than no fan should have to see an incident." Like really? Yea it was a gruesome incident but if you're that squeamish maybe being out in public ain't the best option.

I also seem to remember Marek leading the charge of crucifying the dude who allegedly made the racist gesture at Subban's irrelevant brother in the ECHL, and then it was proven false and we didn't hear a peep outta Marek. For those reasons, good bye and good riddance.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If that's true it's a classic flying to close to the sun tale.

Remember when Seravelli leaked all the expansion draft picks lol.
Yea that's a pretty boneheaded move if true.

The difference is Serarvalli was working for a media company with no NHL affiliation, and presumably got the picks "leaked" to him rather than it being a part of official league business

Reactions: Canadienna

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yea that's a pretty boneheaded move if true.

The difference is Serarvalli was working for a media company with no NHL affiliation, and presumably got the picks "leaked" to him rather than it being a part of official league business
A reprimand was needed. But a firing seems a bit harsh. I mean, once a pick is in, it's into the NHL. Other teams then get an extra couple of minutes to work the phones to talk trade once they know who just went off the board.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I'm torn on Marek. He has a great voice, good knowledge of the game and most importantly has chemistry with Friedman. He was certainly a massive step up over that hack CJ, who has the charisma of a wet paper bag and only made it big because he would "radio" Friedman on twitter.

At the same time, Marek's attitude of holier than thou mixed with bleeding heart got old real fast. There were several instances on their podcasts where I thought to myself "seriously Marek, that's the angle you're going with here?"

Most notably with the neckgaurd stuff last year where his whole schtick for about a month was that they should be mandatory "if for no other reason than no fan should have to see an incident." Like really? Yea it was a gruesome incident but if you're that squeamish maybe being out in public ain't the best option.

I also seem to remember Marek leading the charge of crucifying the dude who allegedly made the racist gesture at Subban's irrelevant brother in the ECHL, and then it was proven false and we didn't hear a peep outta Marek. For those reasons, good bye and good riddance.
That's a pretty applicable summary of my position. I don't dislike the guy and I wish him well, but never really enjoyed what he brought to the podcast....pretty much for the reasons you articulated so well.

Reactions: JKG33

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I know it is easier said than done when you're in your 40s/50s with a family, but him and Greg Wyshysnki should have gambled on themselves when MvsW was at it's peak. The podcast had a massive audience for the time. Had they gone independent and leveraged that audience, with the right management, they would probably have done a lot better.

They were in the top 100 podcast rankings in Canada back in the early 2010s. Now keep in mind how advertisers view the hockey audience as valuable and affluent. They had a direct tap to that audience, and there were very few hockey podcasts to compete with.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I like Marek. He seems like he's a more interesting person that he lets on air. I think it would be interesting for him to have a gig where he can be more opinionated, hard to do when you work for the NHL rights-holder.

He has the chops to cover things outside the NHL too (CHL, world juniors, PWHL). Would be very interesting to know what happened.

He's got the brand to create his own pod and have a following for it. If there is more to him than he lets on, that non corporate platform would be the one that shows it.

I have no idea how that looks from a monetary perspective though.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Are these broadcasting employment contracts typically fixed term agreements or indefinite?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I know it is easier said than done when you're in your 40s/50s with a family, but him and Greg Wyshysnki should have gambled on themselves when MvsW was at it's peak. The podcast had a massive audience for the time. Had they gone independent and leveraged that audience, with the right management, they would probably have done a lot better.

They were in the top 100 podcast rankings in Canada back in the early 2010s. Now keep in mind how advertisers view the hockey audience as valuable and affluent. They had a direct tap to that audience, and there were very few hockey podcasts to compete with.
Agreed. The freedom they were able to have in a non-corporate setting was great.

They got me through the 2012 lockout. How the hell they managed to have an entertaining hockey podcast with no hockey to discuss I'll never know, but they did.

The Littlest Hobo episode remains an absolute highlight of my podcast listening life. The sheer shock Wysh had when he realized it was a dog and not an actual hobo was hilarious.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: wraithsonwings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad