Jeff Marek no longer with Sportsnet - Unknown why

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Very surprising news. I have a hard time imagining him being insubordinate.

I wonder if he got poached. I heard rumours that Amazon was aggressively pursuing talent from other networks.
Amazon loves ruining everything, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Very surprising news. I have a hard time imagining him being insubordinate.

I wonder if he got poached. I heard rumours that Amazon was aggressively pursuing talent from other networks.

He was also the host of Ice Surfing and Amazon will be doing a show like that.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
You rip what you seesaw. And off you go, with your fake laughs.

He pretty much single-handedly destroyed Hockey Central @ Noon, by unceremoniously kicking Darren Millard, Kypreos & MacLean off of it. That trio was always a lot better than what Marek did with the show afterwards. I had to stop following it.

Milquetoast is, indeed, the keyword, and there's only so much of it you can take.

(That Marek also threw Don Cherry under the bus goes without saying; that was required standard behavior of Sportsnet employees.)

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
You rip what you seesaw. And off you go, with your fake laughs.

He pretty much single-handedly destroyed Hockey Central @ Noon, by unceremoniously kicking Darren Millard, Kypreos & MacLean off of it. That trio was always a lot better than what Marek did with the show afterwards. I had to stop following it.

Milquetoast is, indeed, the keyword, and there's only so much of it you can take.

(That Marek also threw Don Cherry under the bus goes without saying; that was required standard behavior of Sportsnet employees.)
Don Cherry threw himself under the bus.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I like Marek. He seems like he's a more interesting person that he lets on air. I think it would be interesting for him to have a gig where he can be more opinionated, hard to do when you work for the NHL rights-holder.

He has the chops to cover things outside the NHL too (CHL, world juniors, PWHL). Would be very interesting to know what happened.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
So other than the blogger Jonah "hearing things from multiple sources," has there been any actual word on this from any other media. There certainly doesn't seem to be any kind of official verification unless I missed something.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So other than the blogger Jonah "hearing things from multiple sources," has there been any actual word on this from any other media. There certainly doesn't seem to be any kind of official verification unless I missed something.

That blogger is as tuned into Toronto media as it gets. He's a reliable source

Reactions: WillTheThrill

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Firstly, the original tweeter is apparently someone who is indeed very connected. Multiple hockey media personel are following him on twitter, even a guy like Bob McKenzie. I would say that's pretty reliable.

Secondly, yes. There are multiple smaller outlets who have reported that a SportsNet representative has confirmed that Marek is no longer with them. For an example:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
That blogger is as tuned into Toronto media as it gets. He's a reliable source

Firstly, the original tweeter is apparently someone who is indeed very connected. Multiple hockey media personel are following him on twitter, even a guy like Bob McKenzie. I would say that's pretty reliable.

Secondly, yes. There are multiple smaller outlets who have reported that a SportsNet representative has confirmed that Marek is no longer with them. For an example:
The other media outlets having seemingly confirmed it makes a big difference.

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
Steve Dangle is insufferable swill. As someone who has the misfortune of living just beyond the GTA limits and still has to catch some of his whatever it is he does on TV, he is the absolute Snicklefritz of sports/social media personalities.

Last edited:

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
His strength is his hockey knowledge and history of the game. His weakness in the media is his lack of fandom and passion to a team.

Only my opinion.

At times he seemed to be allergic about the Leafs. Would rather share his insights about Minnesota or Winnipeg etc etc

I started to tune him out a bit…

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
His strength is his hockey knowledge and history of the game. His weakness in the media is his lack of fandom and passion to a team.

Only my opinion.

At times he seemed to be allergic about the Leafs. Would rather share his insights about Minnesota or Winnipeg etc etc

That's probably a good thing for a podcast that covers all 32 teams

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Only my opinion.

32 Thoughts and Hockey Central are produced by the national rights holder. They were never intended to be Leafs/Toronto centric shows

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Surprising that the guy who came across as the champion of walking on egg shells somehow got fired. It seemed like he and Friedman were crowned hockey news royalty for no known reason, but Marek did grow on me a little - at least he was someone to listen to with reasonable hockey knowledge during the day.

Is it still guessing or do we know the reason he was let go yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad