Rumor: Jeff Carter wants to play "a few more years"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Playoff performance of the pens will dictate alot. Another first round exit and this team will look much different. Unless some BIG hometown discounts are accepted cant see the forward group hanging on. Sid will want Rust to stay. E rod has been valuable , zucker will be gone , and they need another goalie still. Where's the $$$ gonna come from for Carter?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Was a fantastic trade for the pens last deadline. Hopefully the Avs learn from it and try to rejuvenate a cheap solid vet.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
That's a bad priority order.

Those two are more likely to be drivers of the Pens success in the next several years than Carter, as effective as he currently is.

Letang and Malkin are the priorities. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already since knowing where you stand on them influences every subsequent deal you might make.

After that we need to see what Rust will cost and decide if we can stomach it. Letting Rust walk and plugging Rodrigues in his spot is certainly an option.

Kapanen is an RFA and will be brought back one way or another.

Cap dumps, if you can move them, are Zucker and Matheson. Useful players, but more expendable than those above.

Then you figure out Carter and Heinen, in that order. Heinen might end up being a more budget friendly replacement for one of the other Fs we can afford to keep.

I think ZAR walks regardless. Sully loves him, but we can't keep paying 4th liners this much.
I feel like maintaining center depth for the final two or three years of competitiveness is better than making sure you have a depth winger like Kapanen long term. Poulin and Nylander should be cheap options to replace Zucker and Kapanen.

Malkin for $9m x 3y
Letang for $8m x 3y
Rust for $7m x 3y
If he wants to stay and compete, Carter for $4m x 2y

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
With a healthy Sid and now Malkin, Carter has the luxury of playing where he fits as a 3rd line center or RW. thus he can maximize his TOI and not have to be over used. With those centers and Blueger, Pens are strong down the middle and Carter at center on a third line is a big advantage in matchups in the playoffs. I really didn't see this coming but he has made a difference in the Pens. Lots of positives here and Hextall had personal knowledge of him as assistant GM in LA.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I feel like maintaining center depth for the final two or three years of competitiveness is better than making sure you have a depth winger like Kapanen long term. Poulin and Nylander should be cheap options to replace Zucker and Kapanen.

Malkin for $9m x 3y
Letang for $8m x 3y
Rust for $7m x 3y
If he wants to stay and compete, Carter for $4m x 2y
Can’t afford rust at 7 million I hope they move him for picks at the deadline. No way do they pay Carter 4 million

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
That assumes an awful lot.

Personally (assuming neither takes a performance nosedive), I think the Pens should prioritize Carter and Rodrigues - who should both come in at reasonable numbers - and move an RFA Kapanen for futures.
Fair enough, but which would you choose?
Rodrigues at $4m x 4y
Rust at $7m x 3y

Just a guess as to ballpark what they'd sign for.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I think the Penguins and Rust are done after the season. Unless one of Malkin or Letang walks.
Because you think somebody is gonna give him a stupid deal in UFA? Or because you think it's just the end of the road for Rust and the Pens?

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Because you think somebody is gonna give him a stupid deal in UFA? Or because you think it's just the end of the road for Rust and the Pens?

I think it's a certainty that someone will offer Rust far more than the Pens can, or should, pay. Of all their contract needs, he seems to be the one most easily replaced.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Rodrigues at $4m x 4y
Rust at $7m x 3y

If the Pens sign Rust, I doubt it's on a 3 year deal. If anything, it'd be a longer deal to bring down the AAV.

Reactions: Gfroer

Gfroer

Jan 6, 2019
Rodrigues at $4m x 4y
Rust at $7m x 3y

If a team wants Rodrigues that badly you let him go. No reason to hand out a contract like that based off one good season. 3yrs/10.5mil is the absolute max Id even consider.

Also I dont see any way Rust signs for only 3 years and the Pens are in a position to give him a longer deal to keep the AAV down. They'll stink by the end of the deal after Sid retires and it won't matter what his cap hit is anways. Hyman got 7yrs/38.5 last off-season so I cant imagine Rust settling for much less than that dollar amount.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You'd have to think at this stage if he wants to keep playing and have control over where, he'd take a huge discount, no?

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
If money ain't an issue for him then I'm sure he could get a 2 year deal on a number of contending teams for a low cap hit. Pitt seems like a good fit though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad