Rumor: Jeff Carter wants to play "a few more years"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

member 334057

Would love him on the Sabres as a mentor to some of the younger guys, especially Cozens but I doubt he's looking at a late career path like Gionta and is probably looking for another cup run or 2 before he retires.

Reactions: Habsrule

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
40 Goals pace since coming to Pittsbrugh, he should stay, we want all the old people here. Maybe Cullen could make a comeback.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Its hilarious how perfect of an acquisition he was. Big, fast, experienced, 2X Cup winner, goals in big moments, good at faceoffs, good shot, RHS C, good at both offense and defense, good character, lockerroom guy, 2.7M on the cap for two years (at time of arrival). You cant ask for a better guy to help a team go for it in the playoffs. Hextall has really had some great moves in his limited activity thus far

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
2 years at 3 mil sounds about right for Carter. Some team might offer more if he keeps scoring like he has been, but he'd be 39 at the end of that deal. It's hard for me to imagine a 39 year old Carter scoring at a 50+ point pace.

He'll probably be a great candidate to fill a Matt Cullen-circa-2016 type role for a team, though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wonder what his money demands are. Play a few more years as in a 2-3yr x $3mil? No. At $1mil as not to be a cap burden and go year by year, sure.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Its hilarious how perfect of an acquisition he was. Big, fast, experienced, 2X Cup winner, goals in big moments, good at faceoffs, good shot, RHS C, good at both offense and defense, good character, lockerroom guy, 2.7M on the cap for two years (at time of arrival). You cant ask for a better guy to help a team go for it in the playoffs. Hextall has really had some great moves in his limited activity thus far
Its also hilarious how many thought he was done while you could clearly see LA was very bad & Jeff didnt care anymore either.

Yeah HF at its finest.

Still one of my favorites.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
1fa41e4c68c6c04a1b32f5e9b729fbbe.png

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He's been everything you could hope for and more since coming to the Pens. Sounds like he likes it here so hopefully he and the team can find something that works for both parties. Pens have a lot of moving piece to sign in a flat cap world though. Can't bring back everybody.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
If Carter stays that should close the book on Rodrigues and probably Kapanen as well.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think that it can't be more than 2 million for Pittsburgh. We have too many expensive players we need to sign coming up.

It has to be cheaper than what he brings or I am afraid we can't. It will suck but that's how the salary cap goes.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If Carter stays that should close the book on Rodrigues and probably Kapanen as well.
That's a bad priority order.

Those two are more likely to be drivers of the Pens success in the next several years than Carter, as effective as he currently is.

Letang and Malkin are the priorities. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already since knowing where you stand on them influences every subsequent deal you might make.

After that we need to see what Rust will cost and decide if we can stomach it. Letting Rust walk and plugging Rodrigues in his spot is certainly an option.

Kapanen is an RFA and will be brought back one way or another.

Cap dumps, if you can move them, are Zucker and Matheson. Useful players, but more expendable than those above.

Then you figure out Carter and Heinen, in that order. Heinen might end up being a more budget friendly replacement for one of the other Fs we can afford to keep.

I think ZAR walks regardless. Sully loves him, but we can't keep paying 4th liners this much.

Reactions: BillyOcean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad