Confirmed with Link: Jean-François Houle Extended (updated post #531) - Laperriere & Marciano Also Extended

Should Houle be brought back?

• Yes

Votes: 28 33.7%
  • No

Votes: 55 66.3%

• Total voters

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
And the fact they haven't named a new coach could very well be because someone like Favreau is who they want and he's still busy. I'm also sure if Favreau is who they want, they already approached him/his agent.
I remember in Nov/Dec there was was media noise about Habs/Houle talking extension already and then nothing near the end of the Rocket season or until now.

So the Habs approaching someone else somewhere in Jan/Feb is probably what happened, but nothing was agreed.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If Houle’s return were but a formality, it would have happened already.

I’m inclined to think that the org. is weighing its options.
The significant move so far has been the naming of John Sedgwick as GM.
That was the tip off for me that he may want to bring his own people in.
Remember when we weren't going to fire Ducharme? :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The significant move so far has been the naming of John Sedgwick as GM.
That was the tip off for me that he may want to bring his own people in.
Remember when we weren't going to fire Ducharme? :sarcasm:
I too am leaning on this being a Sedgwick thing, looking at his options and making sure he doesn’t strike out on his first big decision as Rocket GM. Hopefully, it won’t be a nepo hire.

Reactions: Rapala

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
yup lol
still, he did enough to stay, IMO. Give him a 1 year "make the playoffs or else" kind of deal
You don’t want the coach to play lifers over prospects.

They could give him a bunch of requirements, but I doubt they will. The habs will find someone else or they won’t. If their other options fall through presumably they will bring Houle back and give him dome advice.

Making the playoffs takes more than coaching in the AHL. Though with only one team missing it should be a low bar to clear.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
You don’t want the coach to play lifers over prospects.

They could give him a bunch of requirements, but I doubt they will. The habs will find someone else or they won’t. If their other options fall through presumably they will bring Houle back and give him dome advice.

Making the playoffs takes more than coaching in the AHL. Though with only one team missing it should be a low bar to clear.
I am a little surprised at the 75%-25% spread over getting rid of Houle. I think the players going up to the big leagues were well prepped and the newbies especially.

As i said, the only blemish that i can see is that Laval was expected to make the playoffs and they didn't. I agree with you that it cant be blamed on JFH, but let`s face it; he would be the easiest one to blame and get rid of.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I am a little surprised at the 75%-25% spread over getting rid of Houle. I think the players going up to the big leagues were well prepped and the newbies especially.

As i said, the only blemish that i can see is that Laval was expected to make the playoffs and they didn't. I agree with you that it cant be blamed on JFH, but let`s face it; he would be the easiest one to blame and get rid of.

It's more than that - they showed no fight, they looked disorganized. I'm sure that really rubbed the executive staff the wrong way when the playoffs were on the line that they didn't fight tooth and nail, going large stretches of play without generating shots.

Then you add the public comments and general poor handling of certain prospects that are more what you'd see from Therrien and you can see a clash of philosophies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Favreau would make lot of sense. That would also explain why nothing was announced yet.

If they are looking around and still are employing houle, I think it's kind of cruel.

Just let houle go. In this scenario, the writing is on the wall already, and you have a lameduck coach on your hands.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If they are looking around and still are employing houle, I think it's kind of cruel.

Just let houle go. In this scenario, the writing is on the wall already, and you have a lameduck coach on your hands.
Maybe they already told Houle his contract would not be renewed and Houle is looking for a job without advertising it. Not everyone like media attention ;)

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

I agree that most of the prospects did better and fit in well when they were called up. Most guys did not consistently do well in the AHL, though. I suppose Houle could get a pass because of the goaltending early, but with only one team not making the playoffs, and the habs spending to get a good team it's a pretty low bar he failed to clear in terms of team performance.

I wasn't really pushing for Houle to go with my post, more pointing out that the habs appear to be looking at other options. I really don't like the idea of bringing Houle back with an ultimatum to make the playoffs because it would likely push him to coach just for the win and his skillset appears to go the other way. I doubt the stress would help him or the players in any case.

That said I expect Houle has done what he can do with the team and it might not be a bad idea to bring in a new perspective. If the habs are trying to get a candidate now they should try to get that person and not do a year or two with Houle potentially taking whoever is available if they don't want to bring him back after that. If they aren't sure they have the right guy they shouldn't keep him around.

Reactions: Gaud

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Many good points here , in answering no , I focused on another point. Then ahl team can also be the feeder of coaches of the future of the club and for me houle has no place behind a habs bench either as a head coach or an assistant . As such the ahl team has to hire someone that the big club can undeveloped to be an assistant In The future, or even a head coach

Maybe they already told Houle his contract would not be renewed and Houle is looking for a job without advertising it. Not everyone like media attention ;)
100 pct that . This management has shown they respectable to all and do all to raise the value of anyone associated with them . Current or past .
Unlike MB regime that used the media to bring down many

Reactions: Runner77

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
@Vachon23 thoughts on Favreau?
" Favreau, c'est un petit gars d'chez nous qui vient d'ici " - L Gélinas
" Favreau C'est un gars avec un gros gabarit " - B Brunet
" Favreau c'est un gars qui a pas peur d'aller "au petit coin" durant la game " - M. Bergeron
" Favreau ? hé ben dis dont " - P Houde
" Fardeau ? c'est pesant , surtout quand c'est lourd pis que ça arrive comme un chevaux dans la soupe " J Perron
" Favreau , un tit gars du peuple que Molson va chercher pour endormir les fefans qui commencent à s'impatienter "
-R Tremblay

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
" Favreau c'est un gars qui a pas peur d'aller "au petit coin" durant la game " - M. Bergeron
" Fardeau ? c'est pesant , surtout quand c'est lourd pis que ça arrive comme un chevaux dans la soupe " J Perron
" Favreau , un tit gars du peuple que Molson va chercher pour endormir les fefans qui commencent à s'impatienter "
-R Tremblay
Favreau is Franco-Ontarian.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
-R Tremblay

Nailed the Perron one :laugh:

• Love
Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad