Confirmed with Link: Jean-François Houle Parts Ways with Habs/Rocket to Coach at Clarkson University

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Should Houle be brought back?

• Yes

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 72 69.2%

• Total voters

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think it really goes with the mandate the organization gives him. His job might not be based on wins and losses, but how well he prepares the players for call ups. Not that they think losses are acceptable, but the priority is set on development.

I'm not a fan of how he limited Mysak. Whether Mysak was a depth player in Laval or not, the fact he put a cap on his potential is what sucked. But overall, he puts the prospects in key spots in the line-up.

Unfortunately, I think it's legit because we're hearing it from different people now.

Mandate they also gave him was to make the playoffs so they could play meaningful playoff hockey and they failed, but not only did they fail, they failed miserably.

They weren't organized. They weren't well coached. They weren't energized. They went large stretches of big games without producing a shot on goal. He then leaned heavily on ineffective veterans who were doing nothing, specifically on the powerplay and died on his over reliance on those guys.

Those final few weeks of the season should have terminated him alone, let alone how he's handled some of the kids since he's been there and knowing he is gonna f*** Mesar over already based on his bias against him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Mandate they also gave him was to make the playoffs so they could play meaningful playoff hockey and they failed, but not only did they fail, they failed miserably.

They weren't organized. They weren't well coached. They weren't energized. They went large stretches of big games without producing a shot on goal. He then leaned heavily on ineffective veterans who were doing nothing, specifically on the powerplay and died on his over reliance on those guys.

Those final few weeks of the season should have terminated him alone, let alone how he's handled some of the kids since he's been there and knowing he is gonna f*** Mesar over already based on his bias against him.

Last year, they didn't show up for the Belleville games to qualify for the playoffs. But the year before, he did get the team into the playoffs in the final game of the season, so they got up for that game. And the year before, he coached them to the ECF.

In his defense last year, he had more rookies to work with. We know them: Roy, Mailloux, Dobes, Kidney, Davidson, Farrell & Heineman. Farrell and Heineman joined at the end of the year before, but this was their first full seasons. And considering where the team was in mid-season, the fact they climbed back to battle for a playoff spot, even if they came up short and shat the bed in the end, it is still a positive.

And then you add Roy getting called up and doing well in Montreal. Xhekaj was sent down and found his game and when he got called back up, he was improved. Armia is a vet, but it was the same for him. Mailloux got better as the year went on. Same with Dobes. Davidson was a healthy scratch in Laval to start the year, he was put in the Top-6 before he got hurt.

I don't think his mandate last year was to make the playoffs. I think his mandate was about developing the prospects. If they made the playoffs, all the better.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Last year, they didn't show up for the Belleville games to qualify for the playoffs. But the year before, he did get the team into the playoffs in the final game of the season, so they got up for that game. And the year before, he coached them to the ECF.

In his defense last year, he had more rookies to work with. We know them: Roy, Mailloux, Dobes, Kidney, Davidson, Farrell & Heineman. Farrell and Heineman joined at the end of the year before, but this was their first full seasons. And considering where the team was in mid-season, the fact they climbed back to battle for a playoff spot, even if they came up short and shat the bed in the end, it is still a positive.

And then you add Roy getting called up and doing well in Montreal. Xhekaj was sent down and found his game and when he got called back up, he was improved. Armia is a vet, but it was the same for him. Mailloux got better as the year went on. Same with Dobes. Davidson was a healthy scratch in Laval to start the year, he was put in the Top-6 before he got hurt.

I don't think his mandate last year was to make the playoffs. I think his mandate was about developing the prospects. If they made the playoffs, all the better.

It'd be a positive if it wasn't just a horrible display of coaching in the final games that mattered. I just can't get behind giving the keys to a guy who publicly bashes young kids on his team, plays clear favorites, and when it comes to deliver, he has them shitting the bed in unforgivable fashion.

They didn't need to make the playoffs but they needed to show up and look cohesive and organized. They didn't. They looked like they didn't know how to play hockey. Great opportunity to bring in someone way more current and not taking it is a miss by the organization.

Same with Marty's assistants, they seem a bit too loyal to some guys with suspect results at best.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
It'd be a positive if it wasn't just a horrible display of coaching in the final games that mattered. I just can't get behind giving the keys to a guy who publicly bashes young kids on his team, plays clear favorites, and when it comes to deliver, he has them shitting the bed in unforgivable fashion.

They didn't need to make the playoffs but they needed to show up and look cohesive and organized. They didn't. They looked like they didn't know how to play hockey. Great opportunity to bring in someone way more current and not taking it is a miss by the organization.

Same with Marty's assistants, they seem a bit too loyal to some guys with suspect results at best.
And he clearly stated that he wants to coach in the NHL which is fine, but not something AHL coaches should be saying publicly in my opinion.

I get the impression that this mindset influences his decisions as he wants to win above all so as to pad his resume.

Lefebvre did the same thing

Maybe I’m wrong, but it’s just the feeling I get and I’m disappointed in this extension

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
And he clearly stated that he wants to coach in the NHL which is fine, but not something AHL coaches should be saying publicly in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with him saying he would like to be behind an NHL bench. I believe his fate was linked to Jay Woodcroft. If Jay would be hired, he might be hiring JF Houle as assistant as they've already worked together in Bakersfield.

I get the impression that this mindset influences his decisions as he wants to win above all so as to pad his resume.

JF Houle obviously wants to win. But while he does have vets he plays (which no coach doesn't rely on vets), he still puts prospects in prominent roles. And there have been examples of him putting prospects in key roles and special teams.

Lefebvre did the same thing

Lefebvre was losing and worst of all, he wasn't developing anyone. And as much as we can point to Lefebvre, the truth is, the organization as a whole was doing things backwards when it came to prospects.

At least Houle has had a run to the ECF, made the playoffs last year, and most important of all, players get called up and do well with the big club.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it’s just the feeling I get and I’m disappointed in this extension

I would have been happy if they looked to make a change. But I'm not of the opinion that bringing Houle back is a bad thing.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Muahahahaha! The cries have started early this year! Usually, it’s draft day. Face the facts that he is preparing the kids the way HuGo want it. His GM should get him better vets to surround the kids. Posters here look at the coach; I look at the GM who provided the coach with lame vets. Kids did good.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

bo-burnham.gif

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Muahahahaha! The cries have started early this year! Usually, it’s draft day. Face the facts that he is preparing the kids the way HuGo want it. His GM should get him better vets to surround the kids. Posters here look at the coach; I look at the GM who provided the coach with lame vets. Kids did good.
And all the people HuGo wanted out the org are already gone, these are THEIR people.

As I previously posted, Hughes handed over his summer camp to Houle 25yrs ago and their relationship goes back over 30yrs when Houle was a student at that summer camp

Reactions: Shred and Tyson

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
This.

He did kind of suck, but so did his vets and honesty, Dobes and Mann were f***ing terrible at the start of the year. Mann continued, but Dobes moved like he was playing with a high sensitive mouse for the first time. He looked terrible and like he shouldn't even be an AHL goalie. Fast forward to late January, early February and you'd swear it was a different person in that equipment.

Getting a good veteran dman and a player who's reserved to the AHL, but they're a star down there, pay them well and should help.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You can dislike Houle all you want but let's discuss some things first-
1. He didn't have much of a say as to what veterans were signed and brought in
2. Last season's Laval team was the youngest in the league with several rookies including in goal.
3. It took 1/3 of the season to get the rookies, new vets in synch.
4. Every player that the Habs have called up in recent years have jumped in and played well.
5. The progression Logan Mailloux and Jakub Dobes made from day one until the end of the year is undeniable.

Houle's job is to help develop the prospects.

The GM for the Rocket needs to do his job and bring in decent veterans.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You can dislike Houle all you want but let's discuss some things first-
1. He didn't have much of a say as to what veterans were signed and brought in
2. Last season's Laval team was the youngest in the league with several rookies including in goal.
3. It tool 1/3 of the season to get the rookies, new vets in synch.
4. Every player that the Habs have called up in recent years have jumped in and played well.
5. The progression Logan Mailloux and Jakub Dobes made from day one until the end of the year is undeniable.

Houle's job is to help develop the prospects.

The GM for the Rocket needs to do his job and bring in decent veterans.

What's your source on point #1? It's not like he came in after the players were hired, this was his third year in charge, so if he had no say on his roster (particularly the vets), there is a communication issue there.

#3 is a point against Houle.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What's your source on point #1? It's not like he came in after the players were hired, this was his third year in charge, so if he had no say on his roster (particularly the vets), there is a communication issue there.

#3 is a point against Houle.
I stated an opinion based on the typical mindset that a GM gets the players and the coach coaches them.
I may be wrong as an armchair expert. I don't take this stuff that serious.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I will take that bet. #1 priority of an AHL coach is to develop talent and no one can argue that he has not done that.
Damn even in fictional bets I am eating you know what hahahahah .
Well sir if current reports are correct you are right and i look like a fool :))

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
But you’re right, Houle doesn’t decide who they sign. That’s the GM job

But a good GM would talk with his coach to know the kind of players he thinks he needs.

There shouldn't be an iron curtain between GM and coach.

For example, Bisson was a Bouchard signing.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Meh, I'm not super crazy about JFH and I felt we could potentially do better, but he's certainly not the worst thing ever. The kids who came up with the big team after a stint in Laval all seem to have the right attitude and work ethic, he's definitely done some good on that front. I can live with him, but I do hope we're going to replace Buchberger with someone good to back him up.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He just decides who plays and despite the shitty veterans, they got to waste PPs at will because Houle was gonna ride them no matter what, even if the PP was generating nothing and they were 20 minutes without a shot on net.
They wasted pps with the young guys out there, too.

Roy was honestly terrible after the first month and half/2 months of the season. He got called up and didn't deserve it. Got sent back down and was worse than before somehow.

Farrell disappeared for games, or barely did anything. Hopefully next year with a bit more confidence and better team he can do more.

Houle definitely isn't the best, but the players he had overall weren't that great, either

Would be great if they could bring back Richard. Honestly give him a 1 way contract so he makes NHL league min while he's there.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Deal :) let’s wait for after the memorial cup. Either habs announce he is back or a replacement .
Again I say he finds a job somewhere else and habs move on without looking like they fired him … (even though they de facto did )

That sounds like you are just creating a hedge for your bet. He may very well want to move on if there is a worthwhile opportunity. He has unarguably done a fantastic job in developing and preparing the kids that he has dealt with but if he has aspirations of becoming an NHL coach he will need to run a pro team with his own system and personal stamp on it which he does not have in Laval.

Any fan who is basing their witch hunt on his win/loss record just doesn't get it.....like at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: HABitual Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad