Value of: Jayden Struble to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Not much. The player is very ordinary. Always the same thing with him : whether in the NCAA, AHL or NHL, an excellent start with the adrenaline, then when it drops, it's not crazy. He will suffer from the rise of Mailloux, Hutson and Reinbacher. So at best he's a 3rd line on a weak team in the league.

Not very interesting for Edmonton. With Ekholm, Nurse and Kulak, there is no room. And the Broberg project reassured in the final phase.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'm not sure Montreal is looking to move him right now. A 3d rounder is likely his actual value, but Montreal has plenty of picks in the system.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harris is the next one moved out, Struble's physical play is something Montreal doesn't have enough of.

Not much. The player is very ordinary. Always the same thing with him : whether in the NCAA, AHL or NHL, an excellent start with the adrenaline, then when it drops, it's not crazy. He will suffer from the rise of Mailloux, Hutson and Reinbacher. So at best he's a 3rd line on a weak team in the league.

Not very interesting for Edmonton. With Ekholm, Nurse and Kulak, there is no room. And the Broberg project reassured in the final phase.
Reinbacher and Mailloux are RD, so they are unlikely to push him out.

The real issue is Guhle returning to LD, Hutson and Xhekaj likely taking the 3 regular LD spots, but given how often defensemen get hurt, having Struble as a 7th D option isn't a bad thing.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
With limited cap, roster space and assets I'm not sure a LHD who would be #5 on the Oilers depth chart really makes much sense to target.

Reactions: HabsQC

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What would Edmonton have to ship the Habs way to bring in Struble?
We not trading Struble. He's one of few who have options. Which is a big deal for Habs.

A big mobile defenseman like that he should get better over next few years. Have more value 2-3 years from now. No sense us selling low on him.

Reactions: lakai17

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Doubt a pick or prospect works... Oilers probably wouldn't do a 1st, late 2nd isn't worth it for Mtl and a 3rd is flat out laughable.

Holloway for Strubble & 4th... Something like that probably gets KH to listen.
I doubt that gets us Holloway, but that's absolutely 100% yes from me.

We'd have our 3rd line locked up:

Holloway - Beck - Newhook

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I'm not sure Montreal is looking to move him right now. A 3d rounder is likely his actual value, but Montreal has plenty of picks in the system.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harris is the next one moved out, Struble's physical play is something Montreal doesn't have enough of.

Reinbacher and Mailloux are RD, so they are unlikely to push him out.

The real issue is Guhle returning to LD, Hutson and Xhekaj likely taking the 3 regular LD spots, but given how often defensemen get hurt, having Struble as a 7th D option isn't a bad thing.
He could have played on the right because in general there are 2 right-handers for 4 left-handers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We not trading Struble. He's one of few who have options. Which is a big deal for Habs.

A big mobile defenseman like that he should get better over next few years. Have more value 2-3 years from now. No sense us selling low on him.

Agreed. Too early to trade Struble. His 1st pro year was very good so lets see how year 2 and 3 progresses. Showing that level of maturity that early is a very good sign. Doubt he will be a 40+ pts guy but this kid is a warrior.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I doubt that gets us Holloway, but that's absolutely 100% yes from me.

We'd have our 3rd line locked up:

Holloway - Beck - Newhook
You have good reason to doubt that it would get Holloway as there is no way that the Oilers would even consider that deal. As @Spawn say Struble would be the #5LHD right now while I think Holloway is viewed as a important Swiss army knife going forward because he can play both center on the 4th line and wing up and down the lineup.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
There is pretty much no deal to be made.

With the amount of D prospects we have, we aren't interested in D whether old or young.

Trading him for just picks would be counter-productive.

We don't want older forwards.

So it would be around guys like Holloway, Savoie or Jarventie (not saying 1 for 1 obviously) and Edmonton probably won't be interested in that.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Agreed. Too early to trade Struble. His 1st pro year was very good so lets see how year 2 and 3 progresses. Showing that level of maturity that early is a very good sign. Doubt he will be a 40+ pts guy but this kid is a warrior.
Yup.

I figure at least one of him, Hutson, Guhle and Xhekaj will flame out for some reason (if Guhle it would likely be due to injuries), so there's no reason to sacrifice a LD unless the return is really attractive and helps out the rebuild (such as a Holloway type forward).

Plus, it looks like EDM has good depth on LD, so there's no deal to be made here.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

I'd say this pretty much sums it up. Harris is OK at everything, but Struble has strong physical play, which gives him role on the habs. 3rd probably gets him but I don't see anyone being that interested in him. 3rd pairing D, that I see included in a bigger deal. Not much sense in trading him straight up

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
If I'm the Oilers GM I would strongly consider something around Holloway for Struble or another young D prospect. I don't see Holloway being much more than a good 3rd line player that can occasionally play on the 2nd line, and the Oilers can always use more D. The signings this off season made him expendable since their window is the next 2 seasons.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He looks like Nurse, so maybe 9,5 million…?

jayden-struble-2024-45.jpg

darnell-nurse-2024-41.jpg

what the heck?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
If I'm the Oilers GM I would strongly consider something around Holloway for Struble or another young D prospect. I don't see Holloway being much more than a good 3rd line player that can occasionally play on the 2nd line, and the Oilers can always use more D. The signings this off season made him expendable since their window is the next 2 seasons.
did you even watch the playoffs? Holloway is going to be a stud middle sixer with the outside chance his offensive production can be consistent enough for him to be a 2nd liner. You are trading that for a bottom pair guy? Lol wtf

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Struble is already better than Kulak and will just be turning 23 when the season starts so lots of runway left to improve. We got a 2nd and 4th for Brett, would take at least that but as noted we are flush with picks so Holloway would be the target - he was great some shifts in the playoffs but also invisible most of the time so he’s not a slam dunk stud but a gamble you hope pays off.

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
did you even watch the playoffs? Holloway is going to be a stud middle sixer with the outside chance his offensive production can be consistent enough for him to be a 2nd liner. You are trading that for a bottom pair guy? Lol wtf
Yes, every game. He looked good but not great. Easily replaceable. I think he could be packaged with Ceci for a good return. Also thanks for the condescending first line!

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Maybe attach a mid pick to get a 2nd pick? Like Struble and a 4th for a 2nd? We don't need more pick but more quality

Reactions: HabsQC

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Yes, every game. He looked good but not great. Easily replaceable. I think he could be packaged with Ceci for a good return. Also thanks for the condescending first line!

With the pieces the Oilers picked in the offseason, I can see why Holloway could/would be seen as replaceable and included in a package. Trading him for 4/5LD or at best, a slight upgrade over the 3LD is not the way to go.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Struble is already better than Kulak and will just be turning 23 when the season starts so lots of runway left to improve. We got a 2nd and 4th for Brett, would take at least that but as noted we are flush with picks so Holloway would be the target - he was great some shifts in the playoffs but also invisible most of the time so he’s not a slam dunk stud but a gamble you hope pays off.
There is no compelling argument to say that Struble is better than Kulak right now. Kulak has been very good for the Oilers especially in the playoffs where he has elevated his game three years in a row. He has also been an excellent partner for Broberg. Struble is still very much an unknown quantity. He has had a rather sheltered start to his career and has still been somewhat underwater. He'll need a few more years for your claim to have any chance of being true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad