Jay Leach named assistant coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
At minimum no longer coaching the PP. A true shame the Bruins were too in their own way than to bring Savard back.
I'm a big Chris Kelly fan, but having him oversee the power play never made any kind of sense to me. If he does not stay, I suspect he might be headed to Ottawa for his first head coaching gig. I wish him the very best regardless.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
He already was and his name was Sacco, hence the promotion.
1718241865540.png

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
should have been the coach in the first place...

Perhaps, but there was no need to rush it. When Leach left the Bruins, he had no experience coaching at the NHL level and a lot less overall than Monty. Now Jay has had some good time to hone and develop his craft elsewhere, and he'll get more this year while reintegrating into the Bruins fold. Meanwhile Monty has his sink or swim year and we see how that pans out. If he has success you can re-sign him, if not you've got a very good replacement candidate already on board. Puts Boston in a strong position coaching-wise.

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
I would be surprised if Montgomery goes into season as a lame duck coach. That's not how you should operate with a good coach. I would anticipate some type of extension.
Same - he should be extended. I hope they don’t let him float in the wind. That’s BS for any organization to do. Not saying he had to get a 5 year contract but a 2 year for me would make sense. For what he got out of that group this past year alone…..

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Perhaps, but there was no need to rush it. When Leach left the Bruins, he had no experience coaching at the NHL level and a lot less overall than Monty. Now Jay has had some good time to hone and develop his craft elsewhere, and he'll get more this year while reintegrating into the Bruins fold. Meanwhile Monty has his sink or swim year and we see how that pans out. If he has success you can re-sign him, if not you've got a very good replacement candidate already on board. Puts Boston in a strong position coaching-wise.
I don't want Sacco anywhere near the head coaching job.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Who did he have to work with?
Calgary was 19th in goals for, worse on the PP.

The Bruins were top 10 on the PP most of the season and crapped out at the finish line to land in the middle of the pack. We still get the obligatory, "Fire Sacco," demands, regardless of him not running the PP, and calls to get Kelly off it from the lunatics who read that preseason article explaining coach responsibilities. I think everyone ignores the fact Mongomery was hired by the Blues to fix their specials, but you can bet your butt the nuts would want him bullied if they had. And this is all for a team/roster damn near everyone claimed was a bubble at best, center disaster zone.

My view of things says Joe Sacco and the Bruins overcame serious issues on the PP while the Flames just sucked.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I think from the outside looking in it's hard to say what exact impact each individual coach has. Head coaches have ultimate responsibility and take the majority of both the credit and the blame, but with the assistants it's more difficult to get a proper gauge on each of their merits. Sacco's sole stint as the main man was a long time ago now. Fair to say it didn't set the world on fire though and the fact he's now been settled in an assistant role for multiple years since probably pretty strongly suggests that's his ceiling as a coach. So as far as that goes yeah I probably wouldn't have him high on my list of candidates for the top position and Leach definitely seems to have more potential in that regard.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Question is why Sweeney bring in his coaches and Monty isn't?
Sacco has been here since Sweeney has been GM. Where the Bruins have faltered in big game situations the common denominator has been Sacco.
This never made sense to me. Anyone know if other teams do this? I was under the impression the head coach got to pick his assistants.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
This never made sense to me. Anyone know if other teams do this? I was under the impression the head coach got to pick his assistants.
Not when management isn't happy with the job he's doing. One of the first GM moves prior to firing the coach is messing with his coaching staff. I'm sure the too many men penalties didn't do Monty any favors.

Reactions: HustleB and BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
wonder if Leach was considered for the coaching gig in Seattle? Seems odd, appears he is well respected but just can`t get the NHL HC gigs? I`m not knocking his return, just wondering out loud, thx for any insight anyone may have

Reactions: Gordoff

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Not when management isn't happy with the job he's doing. One of the first GM moves prior to firing the coach is messing with his coaching staff. I'm sure the too many men penalties didn't do Monty any favors.

If I’m not mistaken both Monty and Cassidy before him were given the coaches to work with. They always seem to be friends/colleagues with Sweeney.

I’m not going to pretend to know what other GMs are doing now but I was always under the impression the head coach hired his own assistants.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I'm a big Chris Kelly fan, but having him oversee the power play never made any kind of sense to me. If he does not stay, I suspect he might be headed to Ottawa for his first head coaching gig. I wish him the very best regardless.
Kelly is back with the Bruins. He also had a gig in Ottawa and two weeks after taking the role he left and came to Boston.

I don't think Sacco wants to be a head coach. He could have easily gotten the job with another team over the years and hasn't.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Kelly is back with the Bruins. He also had a gig in Ottawa and two weeks after taking the role he left and came to Boston.

I don't think Sacco wants to be a head coach. He could have easily gotten the job with another team over the years and hasn't.
Sacco coached Colorado before coming here

Reactions: Gordoff

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
This was from the Seattle Time this morning:

During Leach’s time working with Kraken defensemen, Vince Dunn blossomed into a premier two-way talent, Will Borgen became an everyday mainstay, Adam Larsson extended his “iron man” streak nearly three more seasons and prospect Ryker Evans broke into the NHL.
Leach was a guy I was hoping would get the nod when the B's were looking to replace Bruce. I'm interested to see what he can do with this defensive group and if he can unlock any untapped potential.

Looking at some quick data over the last 3 years Seattle ranked at 5v5:

SA - 4th
xGA - 5th
GA - 16th
HDCA - 6th
HDGA - 15th

Its seems like their issue was in net. Here's there netminders over the last 3 years:

1718289273260.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad