Recalled/Assigned: Jarred Tinordi sent down (Nov 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The main thing for Beaulieu and Tinordi at this point is to play. Having one in the press box is not good idea...I was a fan of Drewiske as #7 instead of #24 or 28 to begin the season.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Makes sense. It was either Tinner or Beaulieu and Tinordi has not looked great. Hopefully he'll be a no 1 down in Hamilton and play most of the season there. He needs some more confidence and to simplify his game.

Hopefully they rotate Weaver, Gonchar, and Beaulieu on the 3rd pair.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I think Tinordi is better than the current version of Gonchar, I'm kind of confused where MB is going here.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
You have to think Gonchar will require a practice or two before he plays, but you never know. Boston is coming off a back-to-back on Thursday and might be ripe for the taking. Having Gonchar on the 3rd pairing and PP might be a smart idea, but I don't think it should be at the expense of Beaulieu as I feel he's necessary for the 2nd wave PP duties and has been playing pretty well.

I'd probably take out Weaver who has been struggling to find his form from the post season but has been getting better over the past few games.

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Gilbert
Emelin-Gonchar

I do kind of worry that Therrien might be inclined to put Gonchar with Markov however, which would be a bad idea with how much Markov plays. I think the pairings I posted might be the best place to start. Gives Emelin someone who speaks Russian, and Gonchar less responsibility to start his Hab stint.

Thoughts?

ps. Side note, because this is a Tinordi thread I don't think he should have been sent down but I get them not wanting to have 8 defensemen on the active roster so he's probably the only choice at this time. Injuries do happen though so I can't imagine he'll be down for long if he has a good attitude and puts in the work.

Saintpatrick*

Before a Boston game no less. :shakehead

Came here to post the same thing. Don't understand the logic behind sending down one of your toughest defenseman. Hell I'd bench Weaver or Gonchar in favor of Tinner for that game.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Came here to post the same thing. Don't understand the logic behind sending down one of your toughest defenseman. Hell I'd bench Weaver or Gonchar in favor of Tinner for that game.

Whose tough on the Bruins right now though? Lucic is basically it, and he's too busy trying to hit Emelin to go after a skill player where we would need Tinordi.

I guess McQuaid? But meh, they aren't the same team we're used to where they are running Montreal into the wall. The Canadiens have actually been out hitting them recently in games, so I don't think there's a worry at this time.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I still have that feeling Bergevin isn't done and he will be targetting a young forward, get the feeling one of Tinordi or Beaulieu will be moved

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Why trade for a lesser player in the first place?

This was a salary cap trade first and a hockey trade second, IMO. They didn't trade for Gonchar because they thought he'd be great, they traded him to get a contract (Moen's) off the books next year. And if Gonchar can help our powerplay in the meantime, bonus.

But still - he's here, he's getting paid by us, he's going to get a look.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
They should send Bowman back - he brings nothing to the table.

He looked a step behind last night, but in fairness he may need a couple of games to get used to the pace and timing of the NHL game again, and his linemates. Fourth line is really a misfit for his game...he's a fringe NHL second liner who's not ideally suited for the fourth line. When he has someone to get him the puck he can snipe.

When you call these guys up, they should get a good look given Prust is playing on the third line on his off wing, but that line has had some success due largely to the other two, so MT will keep them together until they start to wane offensively.

I'd like to see Tinordi go down to Hamilton and get really comfortable at that level..then bring him up when he's good and ready. Another half year in Hamilton won't be a bad thing.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

This was already discussed. The main reason is to free up cap space for next year. He also brings more offensive upside than Tinordi or Gilbert and could benefit our struggling powerplay.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

I think they wanted some leadership as well. Gonchar is a very useful player if he's utilized properly. The issue I have is, I don't have any confidence in Therrien being able to do this and even less in Daignault.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
This was a salary cap trade first and a hockey trade second, IMO. They didn't trade for Gonchar because they thought he'd be great, they traded him to get a contract (Moen's) off the books next year. And if Gonchar can help our powerplay in the meantime, bonus.

Agreed, but I can't help but think we could have gotten a somewhat useful overpaid 1 yr contract instead, I dunno, I like the idea, but I think bowman is a downgrade from Moen and Gonchar a downgrade from tinner, so in essence we got worse in order to dump moen, not the brilliant move it's being portrayed as.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Agreed, but I can't help but think we could have gotten a somewhat useful overpaid 1 yr contract instead, I dunno, I like the idea, but I think bowman is a downgrade from Moen and Gonchar a downgrade from tinner, so in essence we got worse in order to dump moen, not the brilliant move it's being portrayed as.

I don't know if anyone's calling it "brilliant". In the end you're talking about some minor shuffling of 4th liners and 3rd pairing defensemen (and it's not like we lost Tinordi forever or anything). Even if Moen/Tinordi is better than Bowman/Gonchar, it's surely not going to be the thing that sinks our season or anything like that.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I guess MB would prefer Tinordi play 24 minutes per game in the AHL as opposed to playing 12 minutes a game in the NHL, one game out of three.

Makes sense for the development, sucks for Tinordi though. But I think that the Habs are good at keeping their players' spirits up by explaining that this is helping their development.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I would be happy with

Emelin-Subban
Markov-Gilbert
Beaulieu-Gonchar

It's comforting reading that Gonchar has played on the right side often...but that's also where he got beat badly by offensive dynamo Travis Moen so who knows
We already can't play defense. Weaver had a rough start, but he's been very good lately.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I still have that feeling Bergevin isn't done and he will be targetting a young forward, get the feeling one of Tinordi or Beaulieu will be moved

From what he is saying about defensive depth and having to be patient with young d-men, I don't see him moving Beaulieu or Tinordi any time soon unless the offer is crazy good in return. He's definitely not "shopping" them IMHO.

Andrighetto is probably the best offensive weapon we have in Hamilton but idk if MB is going to waste him on a 4th line with Malhotra and Weise.

I could see him getting an extended look once the Prust-Eller-Sekac line slows down a bit, for now just ride the wave. Sekac using his speed opens up chances for anybody he is with.

That's what I said...MB wants all the cap space possible for next year, he basically ate Moen's 1.85 mil this year instead of next with Gonchar costing 3.6 mil the rest of the way(with 20% taken off plus Dallas eating 400k). More cap space next year towards Gallagher and Galchenyuk extensions, plus maybe adding a d-man or winger by UFA or trade.

If Gonchar isn't a fit here, maybe he can flip him elsewhere around midseason(his cap hit would be around 2-2.5 mil depending on when) if he isn't playing/producing. If he really sucks, waive him and cut 925k off the 3.6 mil and let him go KHL or elsewhere in Europe.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I've really liked Beaulieu with Gilbert lately, found both their play went up :dunno:

Also agree with a poster from another thread who said way Subban's been playing let's keep Nathan up :laugh:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Tinordi's needs to be playing huge minutes, keeping his game sharp and being used in all situations. I had expected him to be in the lineup for the Boston game, but getting icetime is necessary for young prospects, keeping their confidence high and succeeding when playing. Whether in Hamilton or Montreal, getting icetime is the most important factor in development at this stage, for him to be ready for the playoffs this year. I love seeing the competitiveness that's present in both teams, with so much depth at all positions. Injuries don't require trades anymore, the development of prospects thrives with so many NHL ready players in Hamilton. No longer is complacency found in the midst of the hard working character type players, that is the signature of the Habs/Bulldogs now, as it was in the Stanley Cup Championship yrs. for the Habs/Nova Scotia teams of the 70's.:nod:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Have to be concerned with Tinordi 4 1/2 years after being drafted and he still is not good enough to play a regular shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad