• Jari Kurri

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Teemu Selanne

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Who's the best Finnish NHLer ever?

My first thought was Kurri, because I'm from Alberta so I was more or less brainwashed into thinking that everything Oiler was the epitome of greatness. He's got an edge on Selanne in terms of points per game, although playing with Gretzky will do that for you. He was also somewhat responsible defensively, even though I always thought his Selke nomination was a bit of a stretch. He's got more championships, although again, playing with Gretzky gives you a leg up.

Both players were first team all stars. Both players won goal-scoring titles.

Selanne played longer and had a better peak, despite not playing with Gretzky. It remains weird that his best season was his rookie season, and he still holds the rookie goal-scoring record. He has a higher overall point total than Kurri (again, playing without Gretzky) but he had 200 additional games to rack them up. He was not so reliable defensively, although he had a Lady Byng, and also had a Hart nomination.

What do y'all think. It's got to be Selanne, right? Better peak, longer career, did it without playing alongside the best player in the world?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Selanne has the most points in Olympics history.

Has a Ducks he did well in the playoff, but it is a bit of a what if, what he would have done with a better and playoff bound type of team during his prime.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I don't love the dip Selanne took for several years in the middle.

I don't think that can be used as an argument against Selanne in this case considering Kurri was no longer a PPG player 33 onwards and nowhere close to being one of the top point producers in the league.

Meanwhile, Selanne revitalized his career as one of the best wingers in the game in his mid 30s. He finished 13th in points twice as a 35 and 36 year old, then 10th in points as a 40 year old.
I look at Kurri from 82-88 alone and I see a better player.
That being said, im inclined to agree here. Kurri was significantly better defensively than Selanne while providing a similar (though lower) level of offense

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I don't love the dip Selanne took for several years in the middle. I look at Kurri from 82-88 alone and I see a better player.
I think Kurri might have been the more well-rounded player - he did play some defense. But I just can't get past thinking Selanne put up multiple 100+ point seasons with less-than-stellar teammates. Paul Kariya was a great player but could you pick Steve Rucchin out of a lineup? I think Selanne was more talented - although maybe a bit mercurial at times.

Ad

Ad

Ad