Value of: Jani Hakanpaa

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think so. He currently plays too high in the lineup but he's a solid #5 and paid like it.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Signed for one more season after this one, I really like what he's brought to the team and hope he sticks around.

Still prone to the odd bad penalty, but overall a solid d-man and as shown last night, very tough to rattle. :laugh:

Reactions: Stubu

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Assuming he's not lured away to star in the next Thor film, I don't really see any reason the Stars would trade him. The numbers might not show it, but I thought Year 1 was a little better than Year 2 for him. Still, for what he makes and what he does, you can't really go wrong with him in his role.

The Stars will need some younger D to step up (not just Harley) after next season... I'd let Suter and Miller go easily, but prefer to keep Hakanpaa around if possible on a similar deal to his current one.

• Haha
Reactions: eartotheground

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
prefer to keep Hakanpaa around if possible on a similar deal to his current one.
I sincerely doubt that Hakanpää can be had for 1.5M/yr. He brings a lot more than size and shutdown-play. He hits a lot and I`d assume his pricetag will be around 2.5-3M if he hits UFA

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I sincerely doubt that Hakanpää can be had for 1.5M/yr. He brings a lot more than size and shutdown-play. He hits a lot and I`d assume his pricetag will be around 2.5-3M if he hits UFA

Yeah Jani is not that young ( will be 32 when his current deal expires ) . His next deal will be his one shot to make some decent bank in the NHL before his game starts to decline.

Reactions: jonlin

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Assuming he's not lured away to star in the next Thor film, I don't really see any reason the Stars would trade him. The numbers might not show it, but I thought Year 1 was a little better than Year 2 for him. Still, for what he makes and what he does, you can't really go wrong with him in his role.

The Stars will need some younger D to step up (not just Harley) after next season... I'd let Suter and Miller go easily, but prefer to keep Hakanpaa around if possible on a similar deal to his current one.

Speaking of him, not to derail the conversation, but how has Colin been playing? Looks like he's out of the lineup in the postseason as the extra D (minutes went from 24 to 16 to 14 to DNP); was he not doing well or was this just a consequence of better players ahead of him? What role could he play at this point, and what would Stars fans ask for him?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Speaking of him, not to derail the conversation, but how has Colin been playing? Looks like he's out of the lineup in the postseason as the extra D (minutes went from 24 to 16 to 14 to DNP); was he not doing well or was this just a consequence of better players ahead of him? What role could he play at this point, and what would Stars fans ask for him?

While Miller brings more offense and upside than Hanley in general he also makes more mistakes. The team right now just wants a safe guy they can throw out for 10-12 minutes on the third pairing that doesn't take any risks.

He was fine for most of the year , as was Lundkvist , but they're both prone to dumb mistakes. Hanley is not in a very limited role. Just don't overexpose Hanley to the other teams best players because he's not very good despite beeing a safe option.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I believe he turned down better offers to sign with Dallas, specifically citing the other Finns and the city itself as reasons why.

I think it would be very surprising if he were to be moved. We have a logjam at D, but that would be better resolved by moving Suter or Miller instead.

Necro bump, eh?

I moved it to a new thread.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I believe he turned down better offers to sign with Dallas, specifically citing the other Finns and the city itself as reasons why.

I think it would be very surprising if he were to be moved. We have a logjam at D, but that would be better resolved by moving Suter or Miller instead.

I moved it to a new thread.

Toronto went after him and supposedly offered a similar/better offer and he chose Dallas

Reactions: Stubu and LT

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
If I was Dallas, I`d offer Hakanpää an extension this summer, 3yrs and 2.2M/yr, beginning in 2024. Hakanpää was 15th(224 hits) in hits with a +18. He is a pure stay-at-home D and also has a mean side to his game. If he goes UFA, I`m thinking he could ger 2.5-3M/yr, but he seem to enjoy playing in Dallas and could be had for a small discount.

Reactions: illone84

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Just wondering if he’d be available from Dallas this off-season and if so, what the cost would be?
Hitleader on dallas with 224 hits. Their biggest and meanest D, with a +18. Pure stay-at-home guy. He is on a bargain contract at 1.5M and Dallas need cap. He wont move if its not an severe overpayment

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I don't think so. He currently plays too high in the lineup but he's a solid #5 and paid like it.
Jani Hakanpaa is a good physical stay at home defender that is important to the kill. Dallas should be in talks to extend Hakanpaa as he has been steady on the Stars blueline.

Hakanpaa started the season on the 3rd pairing but has worked his way up to the top 4, 2nd pairing with Esa Lindell, also Jani’s IQ in the defensive zone is somewhat underrated.

Nils Lundkvist on the other hand has seemed to lose the trust of the coaching staff and has been press boxed in favor of Thomas Harley or Joel Hanley.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
He made a few turnovers that led to Wild goals, starting in game 1 with the OT turnover that ended up being the game winner, and he had another one in either game 2 or 3. The second one got the coaches thinking about sitting him. He was solid and unspectacular for the most part in the regular season and I expect he will get back in at some point, maybe when someone else makes a mistake.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
The Stars defense next year is fine, but it’s construction is kind of messy. Only Hanley is coming off the books, so you have Heiskanen, Lindell, Suter, Miller, Hakanpaa, Harley and Lundkvist as your seven. The issue is Lundkvist- you spent a first for him and in hindsight he still needed time in the oven for this season, so you need him to come in and produce next season. Problem is the D group is kinda crowded at the bottom. Logical move would be to buy out Suter at a low hit, but he might be playing himself into another season this series.

Which brings me to Hakanpaa. Hes one of three guys- himself, Miller and Suter- that I can see being off the roster next season. He provides a lot for his cap hit with his defense and work on the PK, but he’d be the type of sweetener the Stars could use in a package to get a top 4 D or a good, physical top 6 winger, which are the two main needs. I don’t think his standalone value would be worth it for the Stars to move him by himself, but in a package he could be worth moving for roster management purposes/getting a better player.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I mean sure he is movable for a good payment but at 1.5 AAV hes your ideal 3rd pair LD and 2nd Pair LD on the PK. Dont know why Dallas would move him when he hold a minimal but valuable role on the D

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Carolina always wants all the Finnish players and all the Dmen. I imagine Carolina isn't outbid if he's available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad