Jamie Oleksiak: Starting to deliver on his potential

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
Nothing wrong with fans being excited when their team finds guys on the cheap who turn their careers around once acquired. Been seeing that alot lately with Pitt like its been mentioned...and its a big reason theyve won back to back cups. Not to mention, teams like the Pens need to be able to do this type of stuff to remain at the top when they constantly trade away top picks each year, leaving the prospect pool pretty thin.

Adding players like Hagelin, Daley , and Schultz ..two years ago played a big role in back to back cups.

This year they added Sheahan and Oleksiak for cheap and its paying off again so far. We'll see how they perform come playoff time.

Thats the reason the thread was started.
If this thread had been posted on the Penguins board, that would've been the reason this thread was started. The reason it was posted on the main board was to give some insecure Penguins fans a chance to gloat about trades they think they've won. That's fairly obvious.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
If this thread had been posted on the Penguins board, that would've been the reason this thread was started. The reason it was posted on the main board was to give some insecure Penguins fans a chance to gloat about trades they think they've won. That's fairly obvious.

No better or worse than 90% of the other mongoloid inducing threads on the main board.

Reactions: ncm7772

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Who forced you to click on the link?

It's called "General Hockey Talk" for a reason.

I don't see a bunch of other threads about Oleksiak littering the board, I see one. If this thread about a #6 defenseman offends you so much, ignore it and read the hundreds of other threads on here.

And who cares if fans want to brag about how well a player is doing? That's part of being a fan and in many instances how I find out information I didn't know, i.e. Rakell just hit 30 goals again.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
Who forced you to click on the link?

It's called "General Hockey Talk" for a reason.

I don't see a bunch of other threads about Oleksiak littering the board, I see one. If this thread about a #6 defenseman offends you so much, ignore it and read the hundreds of other threads on here.

And who cares if fans want to brag about how well a player is doing? That's part of being a fan and in many instances how I find out information I didn't know, i.e. Rakell just hit 30 goals again.
This thread doesn’t offend me. I find it comical. I always enjoy inflated opinions of certain players by fans. It’s entertaining.

As far as bragging being part of being a fan, that’s a bunch of BS. Lots of fans don’t do. It doesn’t make them any less of a fan. Bragging shows your own personal character traits.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Glad he is succeeding elsewhere. Good guy but he was horrible in Dallas. This comes out as a win-win trade. You guy got a bottom 4 D who is helping and our D, Johns especially, have been much better since we got rid of Oleksiak.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Yes, they were. Each of them is much better regarded now than they were when we acquired them.

Daley was traded for Scuderi of all people.
Hags was a dud in Anaheim, which is why he was dealt just half a season into a 4 year deal.
Kessel was looked at as a loser that Toronto had to move on from in order to succeed. The Leafs had to retain over a million just to get the deal done.
Daley was a very solid top 4 D for years before Chicago wasnt a fit for him... He got pushed out from Dallas and was no longer a fit under Ruff's systembut before those years he was a very good player for us. Pitt didnt turn him around... They bought low on a good player in a system that didnt use him right.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Pittsburgh is such a good team, they can turn OK players into great players...

I mean its hard to explain why everyone does so well there.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Remember that time your coach said he failed Oleksiak by not playing him properly?

Yeah. Those were good times.

He was rushed as a prospect but after that during the last 2 years he got every opportunity in 2 different systems (one incredibly offensive and the other incredibly defensive) and looked objectively horrible in both. It didnt matter if we played him 3rd pair, 2nd pair, LD or RD he gave us a good game every 15-20 games and it was painful to watch. Im happy he is doing better after a restart but I havent seen a player do less with as many opportunities as Oleksiak did in Dallas.

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
You Think fans would learn by now that the pens are Dmen fixers.

Daley- Hawks fans were saying Scuderi was the better player and Daley was trash...lol wrong.

Schultz- Edmonton fans were happy with a 3rd, calling it an overpay....lol how ridiculous does that look now?

Oleksiak- Dallas fans can't seem to accept that they're wrong...he's a fine Dman...it's okay you're not the only fanbase who have been wrong about the penguins Dmen before...

"Dmen fixers" thanks for the laughs. You have 2 superstars. Case closed.

Reactions: Cletus56

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
"Dmen fixers" thanks for the laughs. You have 2 superstars. Case closed.

It seems to me the Pens still had their superstars when they regularly came up short between 2009 and 2016.

Daley was a very solid top 4 D for years before Chicago wasnt a fit for him... He got pushed out from Dallas and was no longer a fit under Ruff's systembut before those years he was a very good player for us. Pitt didnt turn him around... They bought low on a good player in a system that didnt use him right.

Daley took a lot of heat in Dallas. You may have felt he was a solid top 4 defenseman, but that was far from the consensus at the end of his tenure there. He was "pushed out" for a reason.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Daley took a lot of heat in Dallas. You may have felt he was a solid top 4 defenseman, but that was far from the consensus at the end of his tenure there. He was "pushed out" for a reason.

It's like I said before. He was asked to do too much in Dallas and had a poor D-corps surrounding him. We didn't hate Daley. He was in over his head and took heat of the moment crap from fans. He was still better than most of us ever thought he would be. Don't try and re-write history.

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's like I said before. He was asked to do too much in Dallas and had a poor D-corps surrounding him. We didn't hate Daley. He was in over his head and took heat of the moment crap from fans. He was still better than most of us ever thought he would be. Don't try and re-write history.

To clarify: You mean to say he was not put into a position to succeed in Dallas, failed in Chicago, and then thrived in Pittsburgh?

That sounds like exactly what I'm crediting the Pens for. It's the same thing as Schultz. And Kessel, for that matter.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This thread doesn’t offend me. I find it comical. I always enjoy inflated opinions of certain players by fans. It’s entertaining.

As far as bragging being part of being a fan, that’s a bunch of BS. Lots of fans don’t do. It doesn’t make them any less of a fan. Bragging shows your own personal character traits.

Fans brag all the time. Who cares.

I don't do it, but I don't get all bent over it like you when fans do it.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't be in some random thread complaining about it.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
To clarify: You mean to say he was not put into a position to succeed in Dallas, failed in Chicago, and then thrived in Pittsburgh?

That sounds like exactly what I'm crediting the Pens for. It's the same thing as Schultz. And Kessel, for that matter.

More like, Daley had many good years as a Star. The D-corps thinned out and he was pushed up the depth chart. Even then he actually succeeded. It just kept progressing to the point where he was a de facto 1D in Dallas.

FTR I never argued your point about Pittsburgh here. I specifically mentioned the job the Pens did with Niskanen as a feather in the cap. I just thought you were going hard on the "we took this poor healthy scratch Daley and turned him into a good player". If he didn't work out at all in Chicago that is on them. He DID work out in Dallas and was 30 games removed from that when he arrived in Pittsburgh.

Just because we traded him didn't mean we didn't value him. The context of the trade was Daley had just one year left on his contract. The emergence of Klingberg meant he was going to be pushed back down the depth chart and not worth the extension he would be seeking. He was still a very good player when he left Dallas. If you slice off the less than half season in another uniform you would have zero claim adding Daley to the list of D-men Pittsburgh has rehabbed.

I was really happy for Daley when he won the Cup. His best years in Dallas were wasted in terms of team competitiveness. Great dude and by all accounts a great teammate.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
More like, Daley had many good years as a Star. The D-corps thinned out and he was pushed up the depth chart. Even then he actually succeeded. It just kept progressing to the point where he was a de facto 1D in Dallas.

FTR I never argued your point about Pittsburgh here. I specifically mentioned the job the Pens did with Niskanen as a feather in the cap. I just thought you were going hard on the "we took this poor healthy scratch Daley and turned him into a good player". If he didn't work out at all in Chicago that is on them. He DID work out in Dallas and was 30 games removed from that when he arrived in Pittsburgh.

Just because we traded him didn't mean we didn't value him. The context of the trade was Daley had just one year left on his contract. The emergence of Klingberg meant he was going to be pushed back down the depth chart and not worth the extension he would be seeking. He was still a very good player when he left Dallas. If you slice off the less than half season in another uniform you would have zero claim adding Daley to the list of D-men Pittsburgh has rehabbed.

I was really happy for Daley when he won the Cup. His best years in Dallas were wasted in terms of team competitiveness. Great dude and by all accounts a great teammate.

But again...that's just like Kessel, and just like Schultz. They were never bad players, but they struggled when in over their heads. They were simply misused on their previous teams and so seen as disposable, but found confidence and became better players when they were used in roles that played to their strengths in Pittsburgh.

Case in point is your example of Dallas moving Daley because of Klingberg's emergence. With that new development, Daley no longer had to be misused as "the defacto #1 d" but could've been pushed back down the depth chart into a role better suited to him. Instead he was viewed as disposable.

As far as I can see, nothing here suggests that Daley doesn't belong in the category of quality assets the Pens bought at a low ebb, then nurtured into players of value. But YMMV, and probably does. ;)

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
Fans brag all the time. Who cares.

I don't do it, but I don't get all bent over it like you when fans do it.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't be in some random thread complaining about it.
You seem to be getting "bent" over this conversation. I'm just calling it as I see it. If I get to educate somebody on what it means to brag, well that's a bonus.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You seem to be getting "bent" over this conversation. I'm just calling it as I see it. If I get to educate somebody on what it means to brag, well that's a bonus.

It's ok to admit it bothers you. Not like you will have to do the walk of shame and drink a bottle of Pepto Bismol.

Again, since "bragging" like this bothers you so much, don't click on these types of threads.

This will help you save up your anger to be offended by more important things, like partly cloudy days.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
It seems to me the Pens still had their superstars when they regularly came up short between 2009 and 2016.

You clearly did no watch him play in Dallas. The last year he was here he got pushed out and was no longer a fit. Before that he was in Dallas for years and gave us very good top 4 minutes. You guys didnt reclaim or fix him, you just put him in a better spot that the Hawks did

Reactions: Cletus56

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
It's ok to admit it bothers you. Not like you will have to do the walk of shame and drink a bottle of Pepto Bismol.

Again, since "bragging" like this bothers you so much, don't click on these types of threads.

This will help you save up your anger to be offended by more important things, like partly cloudy days.
It's ok to admit I'm getting to you. Would you like an apology? How bout a nice box of chocolates? What can I do to put your mind at ease?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
One thing I've liked from Oleksiak is he's pretty good with the puck...didn't expect him to able to rush the neutral zone and enter the blue line..very good skater for his size. Bomb of a shot that's been hitting the net more of late.

Not the best at passing or vision. The Pens should use him on the first PP unit...his one timer would keep teams honest. No one is scared of Letang's shin shots.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
more proof in my mind that the Pittsburgh defense is more of a product of their system

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad