Injury Report: Jamie Drysdale, RHD | Feb. 26 INJURY UPDATE: week-to-week per Sportsnet [post #1]...evaluated in two weeks

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Dislocation/subluxation you think? Would have to think if the labrum tore again they wouldn't be talking about him possibly playing this year again.
I'd be shocked if it wasn't a dislocation. Every new shoulder ligament injury introduces more instability to the joint, and that thing is already held in there with paperclips and string at this point. This is going to be a career long/lifelong concern for him

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I'd be shocked if it wasn't a dislocation. Every new shoulder ligament injury introduces more instability to the joint, and that thing is already held in there with paperclips and string at this point. This is going to be a career long/lifelong concern for him
That's what it looked like to me, but everyone in the game thread laughed it off like they were medical experts.

As soon as I saw the arm dangling and him waving it about, it looked like a dislocation, which also ties up with a big jolt like he took from the hit.

To re-tear a labrum from a hit like that would have been surreal.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Another lost trade in a long line of lost trades....The last 3-4 years has been an abysmal showing for the hand picked GMs. This is why corporate ownership is bad.....

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Why didn’t we get a high 1st instead? He’s worth at least a 5 OA at this point. Chicago has a lot of picks. The ducks I assume still have their pick.

Given Tippett and Risto went from day to day to IR, this doesn’t look good. As others have said, 2 years of missed development time is terrible.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Week-to-week with the Flyers means it’s bad, but he’s going for a second opinion in a week. Please pray to whatever god you believe in.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Why didn’t we get a high 1st instead? He’s worth at least a 5 OA at this point. Chicago has a lot of picks. The ducks I assume still have their pick.

Given Tippett and Risto went from day to day to IR, this doesn’t look good. As others have said, 2 years of missed development time is terrible.

They wanted a shiny toy they could sell the fanbase on immediately.

An NHL ready player was a must. I’ll bet my left nut.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I broke mine cycling too. But I have no idea what happened. I was on a side street, no traffic at all. When I came to I was on a stretcher being loaded into an ambulence, I didn't know what year it was or who was president (it was Reagan). I knew my collarbone was broken because every little bump along the ambulence ride was agony. At the hospital they gave me a neurological exam, told me that I had a concussion, and said I could go home. I told the doctor that I thought my collarbone was broken and he literally said, "I'll be the judge of that".

This was back in the '80s and people didn't wear helmets then. I do think that I'm pretty lucky to be alive, I know that cyclists have died from that kind of thing.

Welll....the whole story. It was a beautiful sunny day in Ambler. I decided to head over to New Hope , stay awhile and head down the Delaware River to Yardley, I-95 and home. On the river road from New Hope, on one of the lazy S-curves, I was leaning over pretty far, coming the opposite way was a black SUV and he was heading over the double yellow line. Two choices hit him square on the grille and get killed, or straighten up and pray. I chose the second one. Next I don't know. I blacked out, probably from fear. Apparently from the state troopers who came to the crash, fromv reports from the other drivers who were behind me, I flew off about 10 foot above the ground, landed on my chin part of the helmet and left shoulder, flipped over and skided 30 feet, spread out like an eagle. Everyone thought I was dead. 30 minutes later an EMT came. Don't remember that at all. They took me to St. Mary's Hospital. It took about another hour or so to come to. Of course, they took X-Rays. I had a lot of contusions on the back and ass where I slid. The collarbone, really didn't hurt and it took several hours before I could remember anything. Once the shock wore off, man, my body was in pain.

Funny thing I went looking for my m/c, found it, the front fork was bent, but the state trooper who found me wanted to buy it. I sold it to him for a couple hundred bucks. It was my little Suzuki 650 S.
I kept my Ducati 851 for awhile then sold it, when I no longer had a desire to go on the crazy roads again. That was in 2008. But in 2015 I did get a hankering to ride again, so I took a PA. MSF course for fun. I was 65. Funny I got the highest score combined, beating out a bunch of hotshot 18 year olds.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
They wanted a shiny toy they could sell the fanbase on immediately.

An NHL ready player was a must. I’ll bet my left nut.
I said this in another thread, I really want to know what stipulations they put on the trade for Gauthier. DB said they were targeting defenseman and centers only. It was also reported that Gauthier had a ~10 team list he wouldn't sign with (although I don't know if that's true or not). It feels like they favored RH-shooting defenseman as well. Did they want an NHL-ready player only? I agree it feel that way.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Every time we talk about what an alternate package could have looked like, you kind of have to say what you think that package could have been. There is such a small list of assets around the league that would have even been suitable for discussion, and an even smaller list that would have been available in such a trade if we’re targeting players <22 y/o. This was always going to be a 1-for-1 type of deal.

Who else would have made sense in such a swap? Who would people have wanted to target instead of Drysdale? There’s probably only like 5-10 names that could have made sense in the first place. Probably fewer.

The only other type package I can think of would have been if we wanted to use Gauthier + other assets to acquire a legit established star like Pettersson who might be available, but I don’t think that would have been a popular idea around here either since we’re probably talking about Gauthier + 1st + another roster player if we’re being realistic.

Reactions: scumpup

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Every time we talk about what an alternate package could have looked like, you kind of have to say what you think that package could have been. There is such a small list of assets around the league that would have even been suitable for discussion, and an even smaller list that would have been available in such a trade if we’re targeting players <22 y/o. This was always going to be a 1-for-1 type of deal.

Who else would have made sense in such a swap? Who would people have wanted to target instead of Drysdale? There’s probably only like 5-10 names that could have made sense in the first place. Probably fewer.

The only other type package I can think of would have been if we wanted to use Gauthier + other assets to acquire a legit established star like Pettersson who might be available, but I don’t think that would have been a popular idea around here either since we’re probably talking about Gauthier + 1st + another roster player if we’re being realistic.
I am willing to offer sheet Pettersson and give up 4 first round picks for Pettersson long term. I would have absolutely traded a 1st+ Gauthier+Frost for long-term Pettersson.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I said this in another thread, I really want to know what stipulations they put on the trade for Gauthier. DB said they were targeting defenseman and centers only. It was also reported that Gauthier had a ~10 team list he wouldn't sign with (although I don't know if that's true or not).
I'd bet my life he wouldn't have signed for a Canadian team.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I am willing to offer sheet Pettersson and give up 4 first round picks for Pettersson long term. I would have absolutely traded a 1st+ Gauthier+Frost for long-term Pettersson.
I would have done that too if it was a possibility. No guarantee Gauthier would have been OK with Vancouver though. In the small amount of hindsight we have, I think waiting until the deadline probably would have been optimal to give things like this a chance to develop around the league. But I can also understand wanting to cash in on Gauthier immediately after the WJC.

Reactions: VladDrag

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I would have done that too if it was a possibility. No guarantee Gauthier would have been OK with Vancouver though. In the small amount of hindsight we have, I think waiting until the deadline probably would have been optimal to give things like this a chance to develop around the league. But I can also understand wanting to cash in on Gauthier immediately after the WJC.
I agree, and to be clear, I'm not too upset with the targeting of Drysdale, either. They were given a shit-hand, regardless of what I personally thought of Gauthier's skill set/projection.

The one area where I will 'push back', if you want to call it that, is that I don't know if his value drops if it gets out he doesn't want to sign with the Flyers. The Flyers would have had a few more years of control to either attempt to get him to sign, or wait for another player to become available. They would have had time.

But this all goes back to what stipulations did they put on the return. Quite frankly, there's too much 'what-ifs' at play here. And it's why I am not judging this trade too harshly, and won't in the future.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

A player with his injury history should have been non negotiable when you are trading a top 5 OA, or say a top asset.

I understand Cutter didn’t want to sign in Philly, but they needed a body out of this deal. Not a guy that can barely play at such a young age.

Taking gambles with injuries is dumb.

Love for him to be something worth a damn, his skating looks solid - but f*** whoever pushed for the acquisition.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I agree, and to be clear, I'm not too upset with the targeting of Drysdale, either. They were given a shit-hand, regardless of what I personally thought of Gauthier's skill set/projection.

The one area where I will 'push back', if you want to call it that, is that I don't know if his value drops if it gets out he doesn't want to sign with the Flyers. The Flyers would have had a few more years of control to either attempt to get him to sign, or wait for another player to become available. They would have had time.

But this all goes back to what stipulations did they put on the return. Quite frankly, there's too much 'what-ifs' at play here. And it's why I am not judging this trade too harshly, and won't in the future.
Agreed. I’m pretty soft on the stance that his value would have dropped. I don’t think the return would have changed materially had we waited, up until around the draft. I don’t think the situation would have been tenable after this summer. I’m also still a bit skeptical that we couldn’t have called CG’s bluff. I have my doubts that he would have been willing to forego another year toward his second contract.

A player with his injury history should have been non negotiable when you are trading a top 5 OA, or say a top asset.

I understand Cutter didn’t want to sign in Philly, but they needed a body out of this deal. Not a guy that can barely play at such a young age.

Taking gambles with injuries is dumb.

Love for him to be something worth a damn, his skating looks solid - but f*** whoever pushed for the acquisition.
So who should they have targeted instead? Again, it’s a very small list. I want to hear who you think they missed out on.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad