James Wright

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
There's really no one else to push him out right now. He's a placeholder. Does nothing really wrong in his own zone so he's not gonna be benched for that.

He keeps the puck in the other end, plays the PK very well and creates chances occasionally. I think he's doing his job -- the fact that he has 2 points rather than the 7 or 8 we might ideally have hoped for doesn't really amount to anything beyond bad luck and statistical noise. It's not relevant to anything. Good work, James!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
James Wright has been a solid 4th line center. I like him better than Slater as a centerman. As a wing he is awful but his smart positioning makes him a better center IMO. But at least it means he's somewhat versatile and won't cost much more than his qualifying offer. I hope we keep him for depth at the very least next season.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I take Slater over Wright all day long! Even watching Wright in practise, he cannot handle the puck at all. Probably the worst hands I have ever seen at this level.....or even jr.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
I think Wright is fine on the 4th line and Pk. Shame about his lack of finish/bad luck. But that has to change one of these games... Right?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
He keeps the puck in the other end, plays the PK very well and creates chances occasionally. I think he's doing his job -- the fact that he has 2 points rather than the 7 or 8 we might ideally have hoped for doesn't really amount to anything beyond bad luck and statistical noise. It's not relevant to anything. Good work, James!

Actually...

When it comes to our fourth line - depth players; ie: Wright, Peluso, Thorburn, Halischuk, Tangradi and Slater...

Only Tangradi has spent more minutes in the other team's zone than our own. In order of best to worst for possession it goes: Tangradi, Peluso, Slater, Wright, Halischuk and Thorburn.

It should be noted that Wright's possession numbers were better when he was in C over LW, but it is impossible *statistically* with the small sample size to know if that was him being in a better suited position for himself, if it was small sample, if it was his wingers (Tangradi is the best of our 4th line players at promoting possession), it it was due to easier usage, or any mix of all or any of the above. (Eye test though tells me he looked better at C although still not optimal)

It should also be noted that it is the norm for fourth line players to be out possessed as they are basically the worst players in the league. Usually about only 20% of the leagues best 4th line players are consistently positive possession players.

Also, re: luck factor. When Wright is on the ice, the Jets score a very league average amount of goals per shot... Which means that his poor offensive numbers are likely more him than any good or bad luck.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
He's an alright 13th forward. He shouldn't have regular roster spot, but it is what it is. It's necessary for our team right now. He's better than Thorburn at least.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Actually...

When it comes to our fourth line - depth players; ie: Wright, Peluso, Thorburn, Halischuk, Tangradi and Slater...

Only Tangradi has spent more minutes in the other team's zone than our own. In order of best to worst for possession it goes: Tangradi, Peluso, Slater, Wright, Halischuk and Thorburn.

Sure, but that isn't really the simplistic stat that I'm looking for. I need one conditioned over my personal subjective expectations and idiosyncratic subjective evaluations of the relative importance of being in the other team's zone, or being in possession of the puck, at the times in question. :propeller

seasontixholder*

Did someone actually say Wright is better in the dot than Slater? Slater is one of the better dot men in the league for face off wins. I bet Slater would have had more than 2 points. His biggest fanboy was Noel and he's gone. Send him packing.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I actually feel bad piling on Wright.
He tries so hard.
If everyone on the Jets gave the same effort he gave we'd be unstoppable.
Though if everyone on the team had his hands, we'd never score a goal.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
True, but making the other team spend a lot more time in its end, or getting set up again, will save goals against, which is as good as scoring goals ourselves. Not that Garret will let me get away with claiming that this is the case for Wright, but on the observational level, it seems to me that Wright's most memorable moments have come from forcing sustained periods of play away from our end (and then not scoring -- but, as I pointed out, Byfuglien went goalless much longer, as measured by number of fruitless shots taken, than Wright has).

Majikme

Apr 20, 2013
Has almost one good scoring chance a game, but can never capitalize. I get up to cheer, then promptly sit back down as i see it's 17 with the puck. Great effort though

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
The fact he has only 2 points but is only a -1 tells me that he is not hurting our team.
It really says the other team is not scoring when he is on the ice.
It's not up to 4th line players to lead the team in offence.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Fact:
This season, Wright has the same amount of points as PAVELEC (in more games) :shakehead

Fact, A guy who hadn't scored all season, scored two goals last night to
help beat us. Burrows

I'm more concerned about Thorburn playing a good chunk of time on the 3rd line
only scoring two goals than a guy like Wright on the 4th line who usually plays
under 10 mins. a game.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Fact, A guy who hadn't scored all season, scored two goals last night to
help beat us. Burrows

I'm more concerned about Thorburn playing a good chunk of time on the 3rd line
only scoring two goals than a guy like Wright on the 4th line who usually plays
under 10 mins. a game.
Wright averages 9:34, it was a chunk above 10:00 under Noel - like 2 or 3 minutes.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Honestly don't mind Wright on a 4th line. Same with Slater or Tangradi.

However... It kills me that you could debate over which one of those 3 are the better player.

Ewz.

Jets don't have any 4th line players where you could say: oh okay they can play in the top 9 for a bit with injuries; that's fine.

ediger

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly don't mind Wright on a 4th line. Same with Slater or Tangradi.

However... It kills me that you could debate over which one of those 3 are the better player.

Ewz.

Jets don't have any 4th line players where you could say: oh okay they can play in the top 9 for a bit with injuries; that's fine.

and that's where this lineup gets killed. With everyone healthy, they're looking OK. Lose one guy and you're screwed. Absolutely nobody to bump up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad