Prospect Info: Jakob Pelletier, Left Wing, 26th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I don't ever recall Pelts as a 2 way guy being a projection. I always thought it was an energy middle 6 who could chip in points and wasn't a total defensive liability which is different than 2 way).

I agree that Coleman might be a better guy to emulate than Huberdeau if we want a middle 6 defensively responsible guy. However, I don't seem to recall that being his projection in his draft year. He was mentioned as an energy guy cross between Gallagher and Marchand.

If his development path has gone heavily into 2 way territory, I totally agree with you that play maker Mangiapane makes sense, as is getting Coleman to mentor him. However, I am not totally sure if that's the appropriate evaluation for him or the appropriate path for him if he wants a longer NHL career. If diminutive defensive minded winger is indeed incorrect, then IMO it's risking doing Baertschi 2.0 on Pelts. Heck, one could even say that it'd be the same risk of breaking Huberdeau by demanding that 2 way game of him vs asking him to focus on offense at an ultra high level.
He's always been good defensively, but defense and being a shit disturber I think come more naturally than offense. Also Pelletier and Huberdeau training together is because of their relationship, not teh team trying to develop him.

Reactions: Figgy44

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I don't ever recall Pelts as a 2 way guy being a projection. I always thought it was an energy middle 6 who could chip in points and wasn't a total defensive liability which is different than 2 way).

I agree that Coleman might be a better guy to emulate than Huberdeau if we want a middle 6 defensively responsible guy. However, I don't seem to recall that being his projection in his draft year. He was mentioned as an energy guy cross between Gallagher and Marchand.

If his development path has gone heavily into 2 way territory, I totally agree with you that play maker Mangiapane makes sense, as is getting Coleman to mentor him. However, I am not totally sure if that's the appropriate evaluation for him or the appropriate path for him if he wants a longer NHL career. If diminutive defensive minded winger is indeed incorrect, then IMO it's risking doing Baertschi 2.0 on Pelts. Heck, one could even say that it'd be the same risk of breaking Huberdeau by demanding that 2 way game of him vs asking him to focus on offense at an ultra high level.

Strengths listed are two way play and IQ with player comparison of Marchand.

"Lightning quick hands, tight edges, and a flair for the dramatic. Despite his size, he’s not afraid to cut into the dirty area of the rink. Already a deft two-way threat and can play all three forward positions. Would like to see even better acceleration and top-end speed for his size."

Scouting reports can be wrong and I've seen plenty I didn't agree with but Pelletier was definitely seen as a player who was good defensively, at least in junior. Baertschi was drafted higher, put up better point totals in junior and was projected to be a high skill scorer. Developing Pelletier into a two way guy at the NHL level isn't risking a Baertschi 2.0. There might even be more risk in trying to develop him into a high end point producer than a well rounded middle 6er because it may cause him to abandon skills that he's naturally pretty good at and have him cheating for offense.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

Strengths listed are two way play and IQ with player comparison of Marchand.

"Lightning quick hands, tight edges, and a flair for the dramatic. Despite his size, he’s not afraid to cut into the dirty area of the rink. Already a deft two-way threat and can play all three forward positions. Would like to see even better acceleration and top-end speed for his size."

Scouting reports can be wrong and I've seen plenty I didn't agree with but Pelletier was definitely seen as a player who was good defensively, at least in junior. Baertschi was drafted higher, put up better point totals in junior and was projected to be a high skill scorer. Developing Pelletier into a two way guy at the NHL level isn't risking a Baertschi 2.0. There might even be more risk in trying to develop him into a high end point producer than a well rounded middle 6er because it may cause him to abandon skills that he's naturally pretty good at and have him cheating for offense.

I get where you're coming from, but two way threat isn't the same as defensive game.

Jakob Pelletier Scouting Report: 2019 NHL Draft #28

Defensive Game​

Pelletier needs some work on his defensive game. His positioning and ability to cut down passing lanes could use some work. When he does make a play he can quickly transition to offence. However, Pelletier’s lack of size creates issues, especially when he is supporting the defence down low. Pelletier has some difficulty in containing bigger forwards down low and will need to add muscle in order to be more effective.

Another I read said he's adept at defense and a responsible forward,

Jakob Pelletier - 2019 NHL Draft Prospect Profile - The Hockey Writers NHL Prospects Latest News, Analysis & More

This one mentions 200 foot game. Says Pelletier oozes hockey IQ and knows where to be without the puck. However, no specific mention of defensive acumen or defensive terminology is used. I think that jives with the Dobberprospects comment about two way threat. I think it's mentioned in a way that Pelletier knows where to be in the dzone in a responsible manner (ie: a threat/not cheating on offense), but a defensive winger stalwart he is not (especially due to his size).

This is further confirmed by the 2022 and 2023 comments in the Dobberprospects link you provided that says his defensive acumen needs work.

I will certainly agree that perhaps there's enough there in the scouting reports not to worry about Baertschi 2.0. But I certainly don't seem to see enough in the scouting reports to expect Mangiapane or Coleman 2.0 either. Konecny was mentioned somewhere, but I don't feel like that's a correct style comparable either.

Either way, I really hope Pelts succeeds. But I've have never been so worried about a prospect not making it as I have felt for Pelts.

Ledge And Dairy

I've always thought Pelletier's ceiling was a two-way playmaker middle 6 guy so I don't know where or how I gave the impression I thought he would turn into more. I just don't think the skills he needs to focus on developing in order to fill that role are going to be best developed by training with a guy who doesn't have any of those qualities in his skillset. My projection of him is a sort of playmaker instead of shooter version of Mangiapane with the takeaway ability of a poor man's Mark Stone. He'd be better off spending the summer with Backlund or Coleman even though he's become better friends with Huberdeau. Getting Huberdeau lite out of him would be very disappointing to me.
I think you have a very poor view on Huberdeau as a player and a flawed view on how training outside of camp and practices works. Before Huberdeau was traded here he played on Florida's first PK unit and his first season here his defensive numbers were actually quite good. Like he was ranked 36th leaguewide among forwards that year in CA/60, and it's not like he was getting easy deployment like 4th liners.

As for offseason training, it's not like Huberdeau's teaching him he should be cheating zone exits and stuff. It's more like edgework training, speed and endurance, stick handling, shooting, 1 on 1 battles, etc. They simply don't have the amount of high enough caliber people out at the rink for real game simulation. If anything I think learning to defend against a player like Huberdeau would be fantastic for him to develop as a 2-way player. You certainly aren't going to get that level of offensive prowess to defend against with Backlund or Coleman in a 1 on 1. He'll get to imitate guys like Coleman and Backlund at camp when we have legitimate 5v5 competitive hockey

Ledge And Dairy

I get where you're coming from, but two way threat isn't the same as defensive game.

Jakob Pelletier Scouting Report: 2019 NHL Draft #28

Another I read said he's adept at defense and a responsible forward,

Jakob Pelletier - 2019 NHL Draft Prospect Profile - The Hockey Writers NHL Prospects Latest News, Analysis & More

This one mentions 200 foot game. Says Pelletier oozes hockey IQ and knows where to be without the puck. However, no specific mention of defensive acumen or defensive terminology is used. I think that jives with the Dobberprospects comment about two way threat. I think it's mentioned in a way that Pelletier knows where to be in the dzone in a responsible manner (ie: a threat/not cheating on offense), but a defensive winger stalwart he is not (especially due to his size).

This is further confirmed by the 2022 and 2023 comments in the Dobberprospects link you provided that says his defensive acumen needs work.

I will certainly agree that perhaps there's enough there in the scouting reports not to worry about Baertschi 2.0. But I certainly don't seem to see enough in the scouting reports to expect Mangiapane or Coleman 2.0 either. Konecny was mentioned somewhere, but I don't feel like that's a correct style comparable either.

Either way, I really hope Pelts succeeds. But I've have never been so worried about a prospect not making it as I have felt for Pelts.
The most accurate comparable I've seen is Gallagher, and if that's what he eventually becomes that's great. Gally was super effective in his prime as a mini Marchand like player.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Pelletier had that one outstanding prospect tourney a few years ago where he was a high-motor puck hound. That's exactly what Marchand was when he started out, and then the offensive instincts grew over time. I get that comparable.

He just hasn't really shown that at the NHL level, where he mostly just seems to be trying to keep up with the pace. Hopefully this year that changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad