Player Discussion Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
First things first... we all agree to call him JFK, right? Because if I have to spell out Forsbacka-Karlsson from now on, I'm going to strangle one of the Bruins' regional scouts.

Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson
Center
6-1, 185
Stockholm, SWE
Omaha Lancers (USHL)
Born October 31st, 1996
Commmitted to Boston University for the 2015-16 season

RANKINGS
29th by McKeen's
31st by Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
47th by Last Word on Sports
52nd by TSN
55th by ISS Hockey
61st by HockeyProspect.com
69th by Future Considerations

SCOUTING REPORTS

A player who has worked hard at his all-around game, but needs to gain more consistency. That being said, he can be an offensively effective center; possesses a high level of hockey intelligence and plays with intensity. A smooth, yet not dynamic skater. An excellent passer; can turn a "nothing doing" play into a scoring chance. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=115158#sthash.OadpGHnM.dpuf

He's a good, industrious type player who can contribute in multiple ways. He has confidence and smarts with the puck offensively. Attuned to the defensive aspects of the game and invests in this area. He competes through the game and is not deterred in any way. Improving his speed will enhance his efforts.

While Forsbacka-Karlsson lacks a wow-factor to his game, the Swedish import is an effective two way pivot who profiles well as a second or third pairing center at the highest level. He was one of the top play-makers in the USHL in his draft year.

He has good stickhandling, and uses his size to protect the puck down low, working well in that cycle and maintaining possession for his team. Forsbacka-Karlsson is very effective on the forecheck, forcing defenders to rush plays and make mistakes.

He is very good in the face-off circle, winning draws in both the offensive and defensive zone. He is a top penalty killer for the Lancers, and shows very good anticipation and the ability to cut down passing lanes with his long and active stick.

"JFK" is a classic Swedish two-way center that does not stand out offensively, but that is good in the face-off circle, stable in short-handed and uses his game inside to reduce the time and area of their opponents: "An honest player, very good defensively. Without the puck, he is very good, "said one of THN's surveyed scouts.

Who wants to win a draw? One of the best prospects at winning faceoffs in the draft. A good two-way player his skill set leans to defence which is the strength of his game. Comparable: Jarrett Stoll

Last edited by a moderator:

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
VIDEO

Looks like he's got good hands, looks calm with the pucks on his stick, and he's got some moves.

Different angle of two of those goals at the start of this video:

Smart pass, well-executed:

Nice move at the blue line, a little bit of burst, and then great vision to find the trailing defenseman for the OT winner:

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
i really like the pick. hes was in a handful of guys i wanted in the 2nd a few months ago. safe bet to be a bottom 6 center who can penalty kill, put up some points, and be a reliable hard working player night in and night out. Some wanted more sizzle with the pick like a bracco or sprong (part of me did too) but he fits a need for this team. Plus he played with donato briefly this season in omaha, which can't hurt.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
In that first video, the first goal he scores on the breakaway, he looks spitting image to Bergeron to me. Even down to the mannerism after he scores the goal taking out his mouth piece. Mind blogging...

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
In that first video, the first goal he scores on the breakaway, he looks spitting image to Bergeron to me. Even down to the mannerism after he scores the goal taking out his mouth piece. Mind blogging...
Holy crap. Didn't see it before, but now I can't unsee it. Even the scouting reports make him sound similar to Bergeron. And they were both selected 45th overall.

Now considering changing his nickname from "JFK" to "Swedish Bergeron".

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI

I though the same exact thing......was going to post it until I saw this. Just the form and mannerism of the way he deked and the bend of his legs - it was very similar to Bergy

Save the Seeker

Jun 24, 2015
The goal at 1:20 is a spitting image of the goal against Toronto in Game 7. Man I really hope this kid works out.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Holy crap. Didn't see it before, but now I can't unsee it. Even the scouting reports make him sound similar to Bergeron. And they were both selected 45th overall.

Not only that, he says he looks up to Bergeron and patterns his game after him.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Holy crap. Didn't see it before, but now I can't unsee it. Even the scouting reports make him sound similar to Bergeron. And they were both selected 666th overall.

Forsbergeron!

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
JFK will be going to BU and he said that he models his game after.....drumroll.... Patrice Bergeron.

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
Forsbacka-Bergeron ;)

I really do like the pick though. He seems to have amazing vision and hands, and he can put the puck in the net as well. He really did remind me of Bergy in the clip of his breakaway goal. Pretty neat he patterns his game after him, didn't know he also patterned his celly's AND mannerisms too ;) he's a pretty big kid too at 6'1 190, could provide some size but needs to put on a couple pounds. Led his team in scoring too! 53 points in 50 games

Last edited:

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Jakob F Karlsson also played for the Swedish U18 National Team and is supposed to be very respected, very well liked among teammates and coaches. He's very intelligent and a good kid.

I spoke with his teammate on the U18 Nats team Jonathan Leman (Euroranked 68, not drafted) and his father and they had very good things to say about JFK.

That he has played in the USHL and now going to BU will of course be extremely helpful for him and being in Boston won't hurt.

You never know but I think it was another very good pick this draft.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Watching those videos you have to see bits of Bergeron.

We have about 5-6 promising center prospects in the system.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
An elite 4th line center would be nice.

With early and mid 2nd round picks I want the Bruins to aim higher than that. Our future is already overloaded with bottom 6 grinders it sounds like.

Not as much top 6, high end potential. Some of those high end prospects will probably bust, as will some of the bottom 6 kids. I'd like to see a greater focus on the top potential. Like drafting Subban, I liked that.

If they see him as a future Bergy, great. If they see him as a future Kelly, I wish we aimed higher.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
An elite 4th line center would be nice.

Nope. I think hes a diamond in the rough, IQ is already wicked for a young guy, hes got hands and is a play maker. I think his ceiling will be decent, i think he will have a good first season in the NCAA after playing in the USHL, he is gonna be another goodie, i know i may be being a bit overly positive but i seriously can't remember the last time I have been this confident in our draft choices (excusing last year where I think it was obvious from the highlights of Pasta that we had someone very special)

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener
With early and mid 2nd round picks I want the Bruins to aim higher than that. Our future is already overloaded with bottom 6 grinders it sounds like.

Not as much top 6, high end potential. Some of those high end prospects will probably bust, as will some of the bottom 6 kids. I'd like to see a greater focus on the top potential. Like drafting Subban, I liked that.

If they see him as a future Bergy, great. If they see him as a future Kelly, I wish we aimed higher.

Yep in such a strong draft the Bruins are aiming higher.
But Krejci and Bergeron are likely to be around for awhile.
At center prospects there's Spooner, Khokhlachev, Heinen, Donato and Kuraly too.

Love the depth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: