Value of: Jake Virtanen to BOS

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Why would the Canucks Move him? What would the motivation be.

The Canucks need fast, strong, young talented players who can grow with the team. They need them in almost every position.

Any player is available on any team for the right price, but why this guy? The price would have to be something that fits into the rebuild (age and a piece with his kind of tools that the team needs) and gives us a really good chance to be a better fit than Jake, but a successful Jake is something the Canucks need.

He is improving all the time, one of the only physical guys in the team, can fly, responsible defensively, growing in confidence in offence and is a recent top pick. Selling low on a guy like that even if he has been a relative disappointment, why?

Sure, there are those who think he is a talentless plug. But on this developing Canucks team (today or in the system), we don't have any other players like him (speed/size combo)

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
What would it take Nuck fans?

He's the same age, plays the same style, has the same production this year as Debrusk and he is considerably heavier.

So basically, what would it take to get Debrusk out of Boston because that's probably going to be what it takes to get Virtanen to Boston.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Why would the Canucks Move him? What would the motivation be.

The Canucks need fast, strong, young talented players who can grow with the team. They need them in almost every position.

Any player is available on any team for the right price, but why this guy? The price would have to be something that fits into the rebuild (age and a piece with his kind of tools that the team needs) and gives us a really good chance to be a better fit than Jake, but a successful Jake is something the Canucks need.

He is improving all the time, one of the only physical guys in the team, can fly, responsible defensively, growing in confidence in offence and is a recent top pick. Selling low on a guy like that even if he has been a relative disappointment, why?

Sure, there are those who think he is a talentless plug. But on this developing Canucks team (today or in the system), we don't have any other players like him (speed/size combo)

Sometimes change of scenery works for kids who haven't fully developed. We have a stockpile of young D and not a lot of room on the big club. We'd probably look at trading a young D like Zboril
former first round pick and maybe a bit more even it out since Z is 8th on our D depth chart. VAN defence could use an up and coming top 4 as many claim Z will be.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
He's the same age, plays the same style, has the same production this year as Debrusk and he is considerably heavier.

So basically, what would it take to get Debrusk out of Boston because that's probably going to be what it takes to get Virtanen to Boston.
I asked that question a few days ago and read through three pages of people telling me Debrusk is in no way available. So there's your answer.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011

Albeit they have the same first name Debrusk would not be traded straight up for Virtanen LOL

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Albeit they have the same first name Debrusk would not be traded straight up for Virtanen LOL
No, I never meant traded for each other. Just that whatever it would take for the Bruins to move Debrusk is likely similar to what it would take the Canucks to move Virtanen. They're very similar players.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I asked that question a few days ago and read through three pages of people telling me Debrusk is in no way available. So there's your answer.

Anyone is available if the price is right or if the GM is dumb.

See: Peter Chirelli

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
For Canucks fans they need to know if Virtanen's year is an outlier or patience finally paying off with him. For that reason, the price is going to be too high for your liking with good reason.

Now if he dries up in scoring or returns to how he has been most of his career then the threads will pop up but that's across every fanbase.

I think the Bruins and Canucks make good trading partners because apart from Hughes, the future D lineup is in dire need of some young depth and top four talent. But would the Bruins actually part with Vaaks or Lauzon for a winger? Not likely but they are getting pressure here where the Canucks are entertaining, in close games and can see player development while they 'lose for Hughes' so they can ask for as much as one of those two.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What would it take Nuck fans?

you don't trade kids like this when they are on a hot streak... will Virtanen stay hot the rest of his career?

today you want him because he is showing signs of life... and that's why canucks want to keep him.

over the past few years I have personally often suggested we try to pry him loose... and one reason I target him is he has frustrated the canucks fans and probably their front office.

its all about buy low...
there is no sell high because hes a guy rebuilding teams will want when hes on a hot streak

so to answer your question... if we offered a pastrnak or maybe a McAvoy we could obviously get Virtanen {and probably an add as well} but if we aren't giving them something BETTER than a hot Virtanen there is absolutely no motivation for them to make this deal

wait... if he struggles again... we might have a chance to get him for a price we are willing to offer.

I personally will continue to have a wish list that has him on it. hes a great choice for you to target. he would be perfect for what we are needing to add to our team

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

This is just a ridiculous take.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
you don't trade kids like this when they are on a hot streak... will Virtanen stay hot the rest of his career?

today you want him because he is showing signs of life... and that's why canucks want to keep him.

over the past few years I have personally often suggested we try to pry him loose... and one reason I target him is he has frustrated the canucks fans and probably their front office.

its all about buy low...
there is no sell high because hes a guy rebuilding teams will want when hes on a hot streak

so to answer your question... if we offered a pastrnak or maybe a McAvoy we could obviously get Virtanen {and probably an add as well} but if we aren't giving them something BETTER than a hot Virtanen there is absolutely no motivation for them to make this deal

wait... if he struggles again... we might have a chance to get him for a price we are willing to offer.

I personally will continue to have a wish list that has him on it. hes a great choice for you to target. he would be perfect for what we are needing to add to our team
What hot streak are you talking about? He has 1 assist in his last 5 games and on pace for 32-35 points.

Youre not wrong ,he has frustrated fans and front office but the Canucks have very little winger depth right now. ATM he has way more value to the Canucks than what teams would offer

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I would keep him, short of an overpayment. He's cheap for what he brings, and he still oozes potential, albeit not as consistently as you would like.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
JV has a skill set that’s extremely hard to find and he’s grown his game to the point where he’s a legit top six forward most nights.If we had a ton of depth on wing then it could be a consideration but we don’t and Virtanen brings youth,speed and a physical game that few players in the league possess and we need all those things now.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
How? They do both play a very similar style with Virtanen being the bigger body and better skater. Virtanen also has 8 more points this year on a far worse team.

What on Earth is ridiculous about it other than the fact you don't like it?

You are wrong. I think your looking at Virtanen’s PIMs as he and Debrusk have the same amount of points with Debrusk scoring 2 more goals in 3 less games.

It’s ridiculous because last year a rookie Debrusk had 3 less points in 70 games than Virtanen has had in his entire career of 169 games.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What hot streak are you talking about? He has 1 assist in his last 5 games and on pace for 32-35 points.

Youre not wrong ,he has frustrated fans and front office but the Canucks have very little winger depth right now. ATM he has way more value to the Canucks than what teams would offer

I guess by hot streak i mean not in the coaches dog house buried on the 4th line

As you and i know... virtanen helps a team more than just goals and assists when hes playing his game

Sadly sometimes he has struggled in past years and becomes mistake prone when his confidence wanes

Hes been good this year

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Sometimes change of scenery works for kids who haven't fully developed. We have a stockpile of young D and not a lot of room on the big club. We'd probably look at trading a young D like Zboril
former first round pick and maybe a bit more even it out since Z is 8th on our D depth chart. VAN defence could use an up and coming top 4 as many claim Z will be.
He is not available except for over payment.

We are not trading him for Zboril, that’s ridiculous. That is not even fair value, let alone an overpayment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad