News Article: Jake Gardiner and the Toronto Maple Leafs blueline

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Twitter: Kypreos: Leafs actively shopping everyone but Bernier, Kessel, Bozak and Rielly ‎(
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

Oh well. If some media guy said it on Twitter, then it MUST be a "fact", right?

:amazed:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Kypreos is far from "some media guy". He is as solid as you can get with this kind of info. Not saying he actually knows what is going on seeing as not even most GM´s seem to know that. But he is well connected.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Kypreos is far from "some media guy". He is as solid as you can get with this kind of info. Not saying he actually knows what is going on seeing as not even most GM´s seem to know that. But he is well connected.

Uh......Nick Kypreos stopped playing professional hockey in 1997. For the last 17 years, he's been sitting in a chair, in front of a camera, talking about the game, and occasionally, he even goes on social media and spreads rumours, or tries to garner interest in his topics.

He used to be an NHLer. He's now a media guy.

And what he suggested is NOT a "fact" at all.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Uh......Nick Kypreos stopped playing professional hockey in 1997. For the last 17 years, he's been sitting in a chair, in front of a camera, talking about the game, and occasionally, he even goes on social media and spreads rumours, or tries to garner interest in his topics.

He's a media guy.

And what he suggested is NOT a "fact" at all.

Well, time will tell. Like most of these guys spreading rumors, what happens will decide if they where right or not.

MSG*

I think we'll see a MUCH better defence corps this upcoming season. Of course they struggled, with so many guys with so little NHL experience(Rielly, Gardiner, and even Franson to some extent didn't have much). But next year, Rielly and Gardiner should be more poised, smarter with the puck, and overall....more ready/experienced.

And hopefully Franson will be replaced by someone who can actually defend.

There's nothing wrong with Phaneuf & Gunnarsson that a bit less ice-time couldn't cure.

Didn't you tell the world everything was fine before the collapse and during? I'd lay off the predictions, that's just me.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Obviously our defense isn't great, but I think they shoulder to much of the blame for being 'bad defensively'. Do they make mistakes? Of course. But how many times, do you see them send it up the boards only to have the breakout disrupted by our forwards breaking out? Way to often.

I think it has more to do with the forward support and poor system. Hopefully these change next year.

Ramming it around the boards into the wingers' feet is not a quality start to a break-out.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Gardiner has shown to be one of our best possession players, is a beautiful skater, and moves the puck well. He should be a core part of our blueline for years to come, and I hope that he gets locked in for a bargain contract by Nonis. Unfortunately, it does appear he's on the trade market: though I do get the impression that Nonis favor's moving Kadri over Gardiner (not that I support that either), due to comments about being very reluctant to trade young defencemen.

What is the swarm system exactly?

Generally that when the other team's player player gains control of the puck in the leafs end, two or more Leafs are to move in and quickly outnumber the opponent, gain control of the puck and move it to out to an open player. It hasn't worked.

Here's a Maple Leaf Hot Stove blog posting that does a pretty good job deconstructing Carayle's overall system. http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2013/11/28/toronto-maple-leafs-systems-defensive-zone/

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Didn't you tell the world everything was fine before the collapse and during? I'd lay off the predictions, that's just me.

LOL. So I was wrong about the Leaf's ability to finish up the season without completely and totally collapsing. That's okay. I'll get over it. And you're certainly welcome to not listen to a word I have to say.

But I AM going keep flapping my gums.

:)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Kyper/MacLean/Dreger etc. still have reputations to uphold. They are not going to last long if they just wake up everyday and start posting complete BS about everyone and their organizations. Save that for the National Enquirer. There is usually something behind these "facts", maybe not the same way everyone is reading into it. Certainly at some point you would think the Leafs would come out and straight up say Phaneuf is staying. Or JVR is a core piece. They didn't.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Offensively it was the forwards unwillingness to take a hit in order to get the puck that decreased their time of possession...The forwards also lacked the desire (and compete level) to back-check, which is crucial to Randy's system.

Defensively they just couldn't get the puck out for long stretches of time...again they were bullied off the puck far to often and made weak blind passes that ended up on the sticks of the opposing defenseman...Gardner stinks in his own end..I hope he is traded while his perceived value is still somewhat high.

Again, how can you say he stinks defensively when all the stats say otherwise. It's like if you were to say that Microsoft is going bankrupt. Others saying no way, their accounts are showing their value in the billions. Then you replying, but my eyes say they are going bankrupt. Makes no sense. Please provide some factual evidence.

We still don't know that Carlyle was talking about Gardiner in that exit interview. Personally I thought it sounded a hell of a lot like Franson, especially since one of the points was how the player felt restricted at the end of the season. That would be an odd thing for Gardiner to feel since he was let loose completely at the end of the season.

Another thing I find interesting is how so many are talking about how Leafs need to start to use advanced statistics to analyze players, yet I see many of the same posters wanting to get rid of Gardiner due to eye test while his advanced stats are among the best on the team.

And as I've said many times before, I find it odd that Gardiner can be so awful defensively yet have the best GA/60 with a sustainable on-ice save%. So he's awful defensively but it just doesn't show up statistically over 82 games?

He has flaws but like many puck-moving D-men he alleviates this by making sure to keep the puck out of his own zone as much as possible.

P.S Best thing of the article is the comment down below that praises Franson and says that the difference in PK ability from last year was all Fraser. Fun stuff.

Cause some posters don't care about the facts, and just have visions.

HonestHockey*

Lol you noticed that too. Mirror images.

Yup, and put others down for voicing their concerns before the collapse happened.

What are you talking about. I didn't need analytics to see the problems. Losing every puck battle in our own end was pretty obvious. I'll give an example of the problem. The St. Louis 23-7 shot total in the first period of their game with Toronto. Leafs could not get the puck out of there own end bc they didn't win one battle. And who got stuck in there own end and on the ice the most?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Those stats don't back up what my eyes witnessed all season...Gardner was often out of position defensively and was easily moved off the puck...Those are traits you don't want in a D-man...He also made some dumb dumb plays and had trouble getting the puck out.

Lucky for him Bernier bailed his azz out time after time.

And he plays the softest mins to only Rielly on our defence, he is a turnover machine without a clue how to play with a lead. More are realizing this as time goes by. Stats don't equal the eye test.

Jake is a talented 30 point offensive Defenceman with flaws in his game, this is a very accurate description.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Again, how can you say he stinks defensively when all the stats say otherwise. It's like if you were to say that Microsoft is going bankrupt. Others saying no way, their accounts are showing their value in the billions. Then you replying, but my eyes say they are going bankrupt. Makes no sense. Please provide some factual evidence.

Better example would be if some one said Windows 8 was flawed and not user friendly. Then one argues that it have sold very well and there for must be good, just look at the numbers of users it have and another respond with saying he dont care how many copies of the flawed OS Microsoft have sold since he him self have used it and found it flawed and not user friendly.

Bank account numbers are always either black or red and makes for a bad comparison when it comes to hockey players.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Ramming it around the boards into the wingers' feet is not a quality start to a break-out.

Who said "Ramming it around the boards" sure wasn't me. Usually yeah on a typical break out, wingers stay on the half board area. Regardless of where the pass is (along the boards or tape to tape) the forwards always seem to cough it up. They are either to low, or too high, or standing still.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Kyper/MacLean/Dreger etc. still have reputations to uphold. They are not going to last long if they just wake up everyday and start posting complete BS about everyone and their organizations. Save that for the National Enquirer. There is usually something behind these "facts", maybe not the same way everyone is reading into it. Certainly at some point you would think the Leafs would come out and straight up say Phaneuf is staying. Or JVR is a core piece. They didn't.

None of this changes the FACT that their speculation/opinions are just that.......SPECULATION/OPINIONS.

NOT FACT.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

By watching him play, that's how, he has no clue how to read a play, or win a battle one on one in the defensive zone. He is reluctant to make the safe play indicating a lack of IQ. All one has to do to watch a game or read a Game thread.

Just because a player can skate with the puck doesn't not mean he is Scott Stevens or Rod Langway.

You see the difference don't you?

HonestHockey*

We still don't know that Carlyle was talking about Gardiner in that exit interview. Personally I thought it sounded a hell of a lot like Franson, especially since one of the points was how the player felt restricted at the end of the season. That would be an odd thing for Gardiner to feel since he was let loose completely at the end of the season.

Another thing I find interesting is how so many are talking about how Leafs need to start to use advanced statistics to analyze players, yet I see many of the same posters wanting to get rid of Gardiner due to eye test while his advanced stats are among the best on the team.

And as I've said many times before, I find it odd that Gardiner can be so awful defensively yet have the best GA/60 with a sustainable on-ice save%. So he's awful defensively but it just doesn't show up statistically over 82 games?

He has flaws but like many puck-moving D-men he alleviates this by making sure to keep the puck out of his own zone as much as possible.

P.S Best thing of the article is the comment down below that praises Franson and says that the difference in PK ability from last year was all Fraser. Fun stuff.

Yeah every reporter in the room wrote Gardiner but you know better. It was absolutely Gardiner.

Also I love how the analytics ignore that Gardiner was second in ice time against the second worse quality of competition on the team. Plus the fact that he supposed moves the puck well yet finished 3rd in team scoring for defensemen was a minus 3 against that low quality and everyone totally ignores that with him logging the most ice we totally collapsed.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
None of this changes the FACT that their speculation/opinions are just that.......SPECULATION/OPINIONS.

NOT FACT.

Only they get paid while we disagree here for free.
Oh sorry was I supposed to capitalize as well?
FREE.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

NOT FACT.

Well they base their speculation on sources they have within the teams. Some times teams them self leak this info to get other teams interested.

If Leafs wants to rebuild but are a bit uncertain on how to start the process, leaking info that the team is up for grabs and only 4 players are untouchable will definitely generate interest around the league.

And it can be that Kypreos have sources in other franchises then the Leafs who all say the same thing, Leafs are trying to trade Dion along with a bunch of the other players. Then it does not take a genius to realize that is probably the case.

If a media guy would make this rumors up he would not have a job for very long. A blogger on the other hand can come up with just about anything to get more hits.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Only they get paid while we disagree here for free.
Oh sorry was I supposed to capitalize as well?
FREE.

LOL. You don't like when I put the caps on? :)

Kypreos's "factual tweets".....

#Leafs remain aggressive in #NHL trade market. The only 4 players I hear they are not actively shopping are Bernier Kessel Bozak and Rielly.

and

Ontario captains on the way out soon? Independent sources say both #Sens and #Leafs shopping Spezza/ Phaneuf to west conf #NHL teams

So yes, he's a hockey analyst. He has some connections. And he HEARD something(sorry for the caps).

Still zero facts being reported. One guy who had real connections to the Leafs 17 years ago heard something from another guy and told a bunch of guys.

We'll have to wait & see.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
LOL. You don't like when I put the caps on? :)

Kypreos's "factual tweets".....

#Leafs remain aggressive in #NHL trade market. The only 4 players I hear they are not actively shopping are Bernier Kessel Bozak and Rielly.

and

Ontario captains on the way out soon? Independent sources say both #Sens and #Leafs shopping Spezza/ Phaneuf to west conf #NHL teams

So yes, he's a hockey analyst. He has some connections. And he HEARD something(sorry for the caps).

Still zero facts being reported. One guy who had real connections to the Leafs 17 years ago heard something from another guy and told a bunch of guys.

We'll have to wait & see.

That's different from what you said above. This was a better response to speculation with maybe a hint of truth behind it. You should have led with this response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad