Value of: Jake DeBrusk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Perron is certainly a playoff warrior and instigator that the B's could use. Foligno is missed in this type of leadership role. I don't know if Perron is as well liked by his teammates, as Uncle Nick, but he has been through some wars.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There's some silly takes in here trying to argue that DeBrusk has a value that he really has no where near the value being implied.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
My fellow Isles fans might disagree but I’d trade Nelson for a re-signed DeBrusk + B’s first round pick.

Who says no?

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Would you take Merkulov or Lysell instead of the pick?
I can’t say I’m familiar with the Bruins prospects but a brief perusal of those guys stats makes me think Merkulov would be appealing to the Isles.

I doubt any deal for Nelson that didn’t involve a first round pick would cut it.

Nelson is a top shelf #2C on track for his third straight 35 goal season playing with linemates that are meh. He also has an extra year on his current contract at a reasonable $6M AAV.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
There's some silly takes in here trying to argue that DeBrusk has a value that he really has no where near the value being implied.

He is a weird one. Like over last year and the year before he is tied with Hagel, Hyman, Tarasenko and DeBrincat in 5 on 5 goals. That’s really good and he is only 27.

But then you have the COVID season, which maybe there is an excuse for, but it happened and oh my god was it bad.

The two years prior to COVID he was either tied or +/- a couple goals with Stamkos, Rantanen, Schenn, Wheeler, Forsberg and Saad at even strength.

He has a long history of being a first line talent as a goal scorer at 5 on 5 and is still only 27. I just don’t think folks realize how good of a 5 on 5 goal scorer he has been for so long.

He has added being a really good PKer and someone who positively effects possession to his game. The knock on him before was that if he wasn’t scoring goals, he was useless. That isn’t the case anymore.

But he doesn’t get many helpers. And his “take the puck to the net whenever I get it” game probably isn’t going to fit with him being effective on the PP with more opportunity. And he is looking for a new contract in a year where his shooting percentage has dropped for 14% over the last couple years down to 10%.

All in all it means it’s hard to get a feel for his contract. If he makes it to UFA he would be, by far, the youngest of the available top 6 forwards which opens up his market to teams beyond contenders. And he is a great complementary goal scorer for a team that already has all their PP guys worked out. And if it’s hard to get a feel for his contract, it’s also hard to get a feel for his trade value.

This makes no sense for Calgary

And, yet, the Bruins mod vetted insider says that Calgary is one of the three known teams to have shown interest:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
And, yet, the Bruins mod vetted insider says that Calgary is one of the three known teams to have shown interest:

I mean to take him to flip is one thing. Extended Hanifin for extended Debrusk as he suggested would be putrid for Calgary

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him and Hanifin swap teams. Both sign extensions immediately afterwards
Bruins would have to add significantly. While I doubt the Flames are actually interested, it'd only make sense if DeBrusk was the equivalent of Kuzmenko in the Lindholm deal aka cap to make it work.

The Flames have a billion wingers already; the last thing they need is another one.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
He's a weird one to mark down. I'd say he's definitely a complimentary player. His best season (last season) he was consistently next to Marchand and Bergeron. Even when he announced his trade request, he was flanking those 2 and started to heat up quite a bit.

I think he's a complimentary player with a bit more skill than your average comp. player. I think he'd by dynamite next to Mackinnon/Rantanen, Aho/Svechnikov, Draisaitl or McDavid, the list goes on. As said above, he's turned out to be a great PKer, a solid 2 way player, and he has great speed. He also has a knack for a shootout if your team goes into extra time in half the games they play like the Bruins have this year.

With his consistency issues, Idk his value draft pick wise or money wise. We'll have to wait and see.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
DeBrusk isn't a bad player, he's a good complimentary player on a good team. He's somewhat similar to a Saad, a shoot first type player that isn't going to provide many assists, and goal numbers will be pretty dependent on his linemates. If he drops to a 3rd line, it's not like he's going to boost the players around him, but he'll still be a quality player there. Put him on the top line, and he'll produce more, even some really good numbers, but it's not like he's the driver on the line.

He's also always been a pretty streaky player. Like this season 8 of his goals came in a 13 game stretch, 12 points in that same stretch. Which to me has felt like why the relationship between him and the Bruins has always been one foot out the door. He's a good enough player that you don't want to just dump, but someone they probably felt like they would want to upgrade. And now they are at the point where if they want to make that upgrade, he's the one that has to go to make the cap work.

If Blues trade Buchnevich, I imagine someone like DeBrusk would be an option as a replacement.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He's a weird one to mark down. I'd say he's definitely a complimentary player. His best season (last season) he was consistently next to Marchand and Bergeron. Even when he announced his trade request, he was flanking those 2 and started to heat up quite a bit.

I think he's a complimentary player with a bit more skill than your average comp. player. I think he'd by dynamite next to Mackinnon/Rantanen, Aho/Svechnikov, Draisaitl or McDavid, the list goes on. As said above, he's turned out to be a great PKer, a solid 2 way player, and he has great speed. He also has a knack for a shootout if your team goes into extra time in half the games they play like the Bruins have this year.

With his consistency issues, Idk his value draft pick wise or money wise. We'll have to wait and see.
Think Boston is finding out, he’s not a good fit with their current Cs. He really does need to play with a C who drives play more. Without one, he’s just not going to consistently produce in anyone’s top 6.

He can however, be a great 3rd line player anywhere, because he does have some offense, and he’s very good away from the puck.

So different teams would likely see him in different roles. When it comes down to value though?? Think he’d be more valued as a 3rd line, depth scoring player. The chances they’d get any Grade A assets for him are pretty slim.

Even if they’re not interested in giving him another contract yet, they’re better off acquiring a Top 6 wing, and moving him down the depth chart…. Or, like I mentioned before. Maybe there’s another playoff team out there, who can swap them a player who can be more consistent in their Top 6/PP, because that team has more need for a high paced, secondary scoring winger, for their own 3rd line.

It’s why I mentioned Perron earlier. He fits better for what the Bruins need, and DeBrusk fits better for what Detroit needs THIS SEASON. Detroit also has a C, he may produce in the top 6 with.

There’s just little options out there for trading DeBrusk right now, because of his pending status. With Tampa and Detroit now pushing 10 points clear for those Wild Cards, it even takes more teams off the board.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Think Boston is finding out, he’s not a good fit with their current Cs. He really does need to play with a C who drives play more. Without one, he’s just not going to consistently produce in anyone’s top 6.

He can however, be a great 3rd line player anywhere, because he does have some offense, and he’s very good away from the puck.

So different teams would likely see him in different roles. When it comes down to value though?? Think he’d be more valued as a 3rd line, depth scoring player. The chances they’d get any Grade A assets for him are pretty slim.

Even if they’re not interested in giving him another contract yet, they’re better off acquiring a Top 6 wing, and moving him down the depth chart…. Or, like I mentioned before. Maybe there’s another playoff team out there, who can swap them a player who can be more consistent in their Top 6/PP, because that team has more need for a high paced, secondary scoring winger, for their own 3rd line.

It’s why I mentioned Perron earlier. He fits better for what the Bruins need, and DeBrusk fits better for what Detroit needs THIS SEASON. Detroit also has a C, he may produce in the top 6 with.

There’s just little options out there for trading DeBrusk right now, because of his pending status. With Tampa and Detroit now pushing 10 points clear for those Wild Cards, it even takes more teams off the board.

I think the only chance Jake gets traded is if it's in one of those crazy 3 team trades at the deadline. Like you said, there's very little options right now.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I think you are underselling him. He has scored 5 on 5 goals at a clear first liner rate in 4 of the 5 last seasons (obviously was brutal the COVID year). He is a complementary guy for sure in that he needs to play with top 6 talent to get the results, but he is also a really really really good complementary guy. I don’t think the market would be limited to playoff teams. He is 27 and can fit the windows of the teams that are close. Especially that giant pile of bubble western teams.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I think the only chance Jake gets traded is if it's in one of those crazy 3 team trades at the deadline. Like you said, there's very little options right now.
100%. On a 3 way, think it would almost have to be a big acquisition on the wing. Someone who’s obviously going to replace DeBrusk in the Top 6, and that team knows they can flip DeBrusk quickly. Don’t see him included for a dman, or for a C though. They’re just creating another hole doing that.

But let’s say Guentzel goes to Boston for whatever that package is… where it would also include DeBrusk as a cap piece… and then Dubas turns around and gets a 3rd and a prospect from Toronto or Detroit for him.

Could absolutely see something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad