Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Anything that starts with 5 I do it. Over that probably not.

100% this. From Sweeney’s comments it sounds like they know what their limit is for Jake. Seems like Jake’s camp doesn’t like that number.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
They have Coyle it 4 years ago and DeBrusk has three seasons of 25 or more goals - Coyle had none

Plus higher cap, inflation

He’s getting 6
2 bad contracts don't make a right. i like Coyle, but he is over paid for what he provides, especially for when that contract was handed out. A lot of people though it was too much at the time. He plays hard, often with nothing to show for it. All these guy's like Coyle, Zacha, DeBrusk have moments of being clutch, and then disappear long enough to have us thinking when is this going to become consistent.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
2 bad contracts don't make a right. i like Coyle, but he is over paid for what he provides, especially for when that contract was handed out. A lot of people though it was too much at the time. He plays hard, often with nothing to show for it. All these guy's like Coyle, Zacha, DeBrusk have moments of being clutch, and then disappear long enough to have us thinking when is this going to become consistent.
That’s why they aren’t stars but good players

Consistency is the key - not easy (just ask anyone trying to eat healthier and lose weight lol)

Bruins don’t have many bad contracts

The league as a whole is figuring out trading bad contracts to Arizona every year attaching picks not a good recipe

JDB strengths are where I’m focusing - he can play left and right both special teams and with skill guys but for 7 M he should be putting up say Trochek numbers

6 M is as high as I go and I think fair

Coyle was stuck behind 37 & 46 for minutes, better linemates and power play time

He finally gets the opportunity and he scores 25 and 60

If they all were more consistent we probably couldn’t afford everyone lol

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
DKH, spot on take. We have to deal with, as the cap goes up, salaries means go up(and ticket prices). Players start getting paid market value, which often contradict their overall value to a team. Jake is a great player when he is on.
His "Playoff Jake"-ness is what is so infuriating. He cares. I'd hate to see him mature and put it all together in another uni'.

Reactions: DKH

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He will go to the Leafs, be a 30 plus goal scorer, and perform well against us in the playoffs. He will be some teams, Verhaeghe. We will plug in some 3rd liner in hopes he can support Pasta with scoring.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
DKH, spot on take. We have to deal with, as the cap goes up, salaries means go up(and ticket prices). Players start getting paid market value, which often contradict their overall value to a team. Jake is a great player when he is on.
His "Playoff Jake"-ness is what is so infuriating. He cares. I'd hate to see him mature and put it all together in another uni'.
Great point market value v overall value

Jake is frustrating and ideally he’s a 30 goal 60-70 point guy which portably is a 7-8 M player

Some team I would think will pay him that - Sweeney should not

Sweeney was negotiating in his PC talking directly and publicly to DeBrusk going on record what they think of this player - two way street comment was the bumper sticker quote but he made it clear we would like to keep you

As much as I like him 99 % players are not getting over 5 years term from me unless they are foundational pieces

Frederic & Geekie up next summer - both could be 20-25 goal scorers so you can’t be overpaying

Sweeney gives Jake 6 years or 7 M that’s dumb even if he is offered that somewhere else and brings back

I admit I love piping hot large McDonald’s fries but not at post Covid double prices - pass

Same way about all these FA wanting a bag

Elias Lindholm ideally 4/24 here

After that I would start to squirm in years and dollars

EL good but not game changer

Draisaitl & Eichel are game changes and are UFA to be sooner rather than later

Don’t box in with Lindholm and find out he’s Zacha like production better defensively- nice but they need to try and get Pastrnak a beast at center

I can't see a universe where Jake takes under 6.5M. But let's see.
The only one would be here

Sweeney ‘two way street’ seemed you want to be here but your agent asking out of value/range

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Jake has no family no kids right? He loves Canada. I dunno, this is the perfect spot to bolt.

He signs a big deal here and starts cold, he's right back in the Boston drama within 4 weeks. At least a new city gives him a whole season to figure it out.

Reactions: HustleB

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I can't see a universe where Jake takes under 6.5M. But let's see.
They are called negotiations for a reason.

He, like every player (or agent) wants lockout protection. That drops the price.

He wants some sort of trade protection. That also drops the price.

And now, players want some sort of expansion draft protection assumed to be coming as soon as 2027 and that drops the price.

I like Jake, but he's not the type of player you give all that too and pay him 6 million a year.

I can't see any team offering all or any of that. Maybe a 1 million signing bonus in a potential lockout year. But that's it.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

He, like every player (or agent) wants lockout protection. That drops the price.

And now, players want some sort of expansion draft protection assumed to be coming as soon as 2027 and that drops the price.

I like Jake, but he's not the type of player you give all that too and pay him 6 million a year.

I can't see any team offering all or any of that. Maybe a 1 million signing bonus in a potential lockout year. But that's it.
I think he can get that if he’s willing to go to a low tier team/franchise. Think Utah/Calgary/Columbus etc. Probably get more than $6M too. Question is if he wants to do that.

Reactions: goldenblack

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Everyone looks at the money and the terms, but looking at that proposal a key for me is the NTC very limited and a that is important that you are not hand cuffed if you need or want to move him.
I can't say where that came from, only that I didn't pull it out of my ass.

It doesn't give him the money or term he wants, but has a little lockout protection, a small say in where he gets dealt if at all, and more trade protection in a possible expansion year.

Players need to decide what's more important to them.

This goes all the way back to last September when JDB said he wants to remain in Boston and Sweeney said JDB has to decide whether he really wants to stay in Boston.

The Bruins are locked in and are not going above what has been on the table for some time now. If JDB doesn't adjust his ask, I think he is done in Boston.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I can't say where that came from, only that I didn't pull it out of my ass.

It doesn't give him the money or term he wants, but has a little lockout protection, a small say in where he gets dealt if at all, and more trade protection in a possible expansion year.

Players need to decide what's more important to them.

This goes all the way back to last September when JDB said he wants to remain in Boston and Sweeney said JDB has to decide whether he really wants to stay in Boston.

The Bruins are locked in and are not going above what has been on the table for some time now. If JDB doesn't adjust his ask, I think he is done in Boston.
I have nothing against the player, but I must admit he is frustrating player, and his recent playoff play adds to that frustration, but I cannot blame Sweeney if he walks away from all this.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If this guy gets his money from the Bruins, his stress will be sky high. If he thinks he’s had stress here, wait till he gets his money. If I’m him, I go somewhere else. If he signs a decent contract, then it’s the same crap he’s used to. Money brings expectations. Especially in Boston. Let’s remember that.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

We're talking about all the cap space the Bruins have, but nine teams have even more and four teams are within 2.5.

Lot of money to spend out there and the NHL is projecting the cap to hit $92 in two seasons.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
We're talking about all the cap space the Bruins have, but nine teams have even more and four teams are within 2.5.

Lot of money to spend out there and the NHL is projecting the cap to hit $92 in two seasons.
Have to look at RFAs etc on those teams though. A bit of a mirage in some cases. We really only have Sway as a big ticket (and Jake as UFA).

Reactions: DKH

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

I wonder if the owner of Utah is going to spend ,what do they have something like $43 million more if you include Webers contract.

Reactions: EverettMike

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting listening to Beers & Jaffe discuss DeBrusk

I thought I liked him

Jaffe says 6x6 he would do

Beers inconsistent scorer but plays 200 feet when not scoring, offers flexibility and important minutes and big part of Bruins

Hmmmm

Have to look at RFAs etc on those teams though. A bit of a mirage in some cases. We really only have Sway as a big ticket (and Jake as UFA).
Yes I looked

Sweeney brilliant not having any high end young players other than Swayman looking to get paid

The plan is working ……..

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Interesting listening to Beers & Jaffe discuss DeBrusk

I thought I liked him

Jaffe says 6x6 he would do

Beers inconsistent scorer but plays 200 feet when not scoring, offers flexibility and important minutes and big part of Bruins

Hmmmm

Yes I looked

Sweeney brilliant not having any high end young players other than Swayman looking to get paid

The plan is working ……..

I'm fine with 6x6 for Jake if you remove most of the protections that Dom mentioned...

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I’d be embarrassed coming with an inflated ask based on how inconsistent I was, alleged broken hand notwithstanding

But I’d also fix my eyebrow issues

Reactions: Alicat

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Think collectively we can do better than this post...

Associated Press: Bruins’ Jake DeBusk looking on as contract extension is negotiated

IMG_5168.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad