Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I also wonder cause I'm pretty sure Dom mentioned it at this TDL, that the offers for JD weren't good. It's been two separate occasions now where he's been on the block (with I think Sweeney looking to deal him) and things haven't materialized.

I could totally see him getting an outrageous deal from some GM but at the same time, I think the book is out on him and clearly no one was out there ready to give up significant assets for him.

Could he score 40 with McDavid? Probably with his eyes closed but there is a pretty big difference between someone like him and Hyman. Hyman brings it every shift and this hot/cold act by JD every. single. season. does not go unnoticed.

I put chances higher on JD getting a 5 x 3 contract (bringing him to age 30) than a long term deal at like 6.5 x 7 that some people think. Just my opinion.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting to see him on first PP

I like JVR signing siphoned JDB PP time till March

Great game last night - I’m sure Mione like myself enjoyed 74 performance

I think JDB gets 30 million.

Is it 5 for 6 or 6 for 5?

PK AND PP AND one of the better options 3 on 3.
I think you are correct

Reactions: Mione134

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Interesting to see him on first PP

I like JVR signing siphoned JDB PP time till March

Great game last night - I’m sure Mione like myself enjoyed 74 performance

I think not having Jake on the first unit of the PP didn't help him get his groove back. He scores a lot of his goals/contributes there. Last night is where he should be.

Hopefully it continues. Drinks at Kowloon to celebrate if it does, Dan!

Reactions: DKH

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Have to admit I let out a loud “OOF” when he missed that empty netter wide that would’ve put him at 20 on the year.

finishing with 40+ point is fine. He plays in a bunch of situations for you. I definitely expected more this season with the minutes he got, but it is what it is.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The only way I would give Debrusk good money is if he is a monster this playoffs through all the games they play. Like the Debrusk we saw in Edmonton. We know he can get up in play that way when it’s in front of family but he has to want it like that in the playoffs. If not then I’d be wary because if he gets comfortable will he be even more inconsistent
I'm with you. Monster playoffs? Okay let's talk. Anything less? Best of luck to ya.

He's not a bad player, but good lord am I ever sick of the argument. Equally sick of finding myself on either side of it.

If the money will be spent, do it on something you can be reasonably confident that you know what you're buying. Ten years of DeBrusk, game 81... I couldn't tell ya.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I would like to see DeBrusk remain a Bruin. Is this something that interests DeBrusk? I do think he has earned the right to decide and I also think location will play, as big a role as contract. I am of the opinion he is heading to Alberta. I suspect management's hand's are tied . Think contract offers will be very similar.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I am a big Jake guy but his days are over in Boston I believe. Im okay with it at this point.
I agree with this. That does not mean it's not going to hurt to watch him playing for another team next year, and him playing like he is capable of playing

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I agree with this. That does not mean it's not going to hurt to watch him playing for another team next year, and him playing like he is capable of playing

True, but we are just as likely to see him in the midst of a monster slump when he plays the Bruins. That I am okay with.

• Haha
Reactions: bme44

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Jake is Mr. Inconsistency ... he benefited by playing with world class players. Our expectations of him are the "Edmonton game" what we get is irrelevance more games than not. He just can not take it to another level for a sustained period of time. He is a complementary player that has the 'potential' to score 20 plus goals when paired with elite players. If he is asking anything more than 5.5 Sweeney should let him walk. Closer to his current salary would be ideal.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If we let him walk in the off season which I’m ok with you know the main boards are going to be painful about the draft
I understand what you're saying, but I could not care any less about that

Barring a long playoff run where he puts the team on his back a few times, I'm more than willing to let him walk away

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I understand what you're saying, but I could not care any less about that

Barring a long playoff run where he puts the team on his back a few times, I'm more than willing to let him walk away
Who you have replacing him

Reactions: wintersej

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Who do we have replacing 40 pts? That's not that complicated if we're honest. Sweenius just showed he knows how to find 40 pts.

And his PK and PP minutes can be spread around. As is do we miss him at all on the PP? I'm gonna go NAH.
Who’s NAH

• Haha
Reactions: Kegs

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
I didn’t realize he was playing last night until about halfway through the game. I legitimately thought he was scratched and spent some time trying to figure out who came in for him.

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
My great hope is Jake is coasting a bit and prepping physically and mentally for the playoffs. It’s his last chance to pump up his value for his next contract.
He does have the ability to be a difference maker when he brings it fully. I’m praying he is our difference maker in the playoffs….I still believe Jake has an “X factor” that we only had a glimpse of during the series that Kadri tried to kill him.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
If we let him walk in the off season which I’m ok with you know the main boards are going to be painful about the draft
And deservedly so. We were a laughing stock and honestly that night warrants a pink slip for Sweeney, Dean Malkoc, and the rest of the scouts.

The good news is that Sweeney doesn't seem to make decisions based on the 2015 first round. Some posters think that he will bring back Jake because he'd be admitting that he royally screwed up that night. I don't think there's any evidence to support that. He was a man and admitted that they screwed up big time and it was a learning curve. Neely came out and did the same thing. He essentially said that the entire draft table was sniffing glue when they were putting the list together. That's the right approach. I don't think Sweeney cares for one second what the message boards or sports radio shows say.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Who’s NAH

he's first cousins with NOPE

Honestly, I don't even care. I'm exhausted

But it's not even a huge chore. Sweenius just got Geekie and Heinen for pennies and both showed they can get you close to 40 pts if you were giving them PP time.

Moneyball mentality, replacing Debrusk isn't proving to be a colossal challenge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad