Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Tied for 132 in goals is in fact 3rd line production.

32 teams multiplied by 4 top six wingers per team is 128. So he’s just on the outside of top 6 winger production while he’s been bouncing around the first and second line for the bruins.
Forwards. Includes centers. (and it's T137 now sorry).

Amongst wingers, he's T75.

And at 5v5, among wingers he's T76.

Want to do that math?

Reactions: HustleB and DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
DeBrusk should be 25 goals that’s my bar

However he does play well on both special teams and plays both wings

He’s the one guy who gets back because of his speed and smarts

there is more to evaluating a player

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Forwards. Includes centers. (and it's T137 now sorry).

Amongst wingers, he's T75.

And at 5v5, among wingers he's T76.

Want to do that math?
My bad read it wrong.

Still not giving him $6m though.

Bryan rust is a better player than him. Not paying a guy $6m a year who averages 40 points a season. Rust is making a tick over 5 with better production and similar PK deployments.

Even with “inflation” he doesn’t deserve rusts salary

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
My bad read it wrong.

Bryan rust is a better player than him. Not paying a guy $6m a year who averages 40 points a season. Rust is making a tick over 5 with better production and similar PK deployments.

OK. But the Rust deal was signed two years ago. I'm not sure why you don't think there will be salary inflation with an increase in cap. Where is the money going to go?

Didn’t realize he was that high

Appreciate you giving your time on this board
People vastly overrate what a third liner produces. And think that every top-6 forward gets 60+ points.

Reactions: HustleB and DKH

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
My bad read it wrong.

Hes 10 points behind slafkovsky who is year 2 on a worse team

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
OK. But the Rust deal was signed two years ago. I'm not sure why you don't think there will be salary inflation with an increase in cap. Where is the money going to go?

People vastly overrate what a third liner produces. And think that every top-6 forward gets 60+ points.
Because Rust is a better player the cap is going up 5%. Inflation doesn’t get Debrusk $6m a year which is a 20% increase.

Debrusk averages 40 points a year(covid years pro rated for a full season). If he was producing 50 or 60 a year on average I’d say give him $6m. Nes not even close to averaging that though.

Reactions: lopey

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Marchand I read on another thread isn’t get any younger

so if that is true and he’s got 2-3 years left who are the LW behind him ?

I’m not stuck in traffic right now so I can’t think of anyone other then

Heinen
Frederic
Beecher
Kuntar

I like them all the way Mary Poppins liked the Van Trap kids but I don’t see a LW worthy of top 6 (other than Heinen but I don’t want to go there and get @sarge88 day off to a bad start especially if he’s got to go to a DD in a strip mall area)

Imagination is powerful - heck Einstein said it’s more important then knowledge but imagining Guentzel & whoever is signing here is ridiculous

I just realized my Eichel, Hertl, and Hanifin vision I used had them all sitting in a locker room talking to Cassidy

DeBrusk I would go five at $5.5; if he leaves the good news is we got Marchy & Heinen 2-3 more years till a couple of LW magically appear to save us
If my day starts with waking up to go to work, it’s already a bad day.
And it’s the locally owned and operated Heav’nly Donuts that offers a small dose of enjoyment to my work day.

However that goes away with the last sip of iced tea and last bite of my blueberry muffin and it’s on to 7.5 more hours of misery.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Because Rust is a better player the cap is going up 5%. Inflation doesn’t get Debrusk $6m a year which is a 20% increase.

Debrusk averages 40 points a year(covid years pro rated for a full season). If he was producing 50 or 60 a year on average I’d say give him $6m. Nes not even close to averaging that though.
Again, you don't apply 5% across everyone, because everyone isn't up for a new deal. This isn't rocket science. Lower tier players aren't going to get more. The top guys are going to get a big jump. The middle guys a decent sized one. And when your one of a handful of girls at the dance, you're going to have a lot of suitors. Anyone who goes to UFA this year that's not a plug is going to get paid more than people are used to seeing from a comp standpoint given we've been flat cap for years.

And I don't want to give him $6M either, but that most likely means he's gone. Which may be fine, but it certainly doesn't help.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Again, you don't apply 5% across everyone, because everyone isn't up for a new deal. This isn't rocket science. Lower tier players aren't going to get more. The top guys are going to get a big jump. The middle guys a decent sized one. And when your one of a handful of girls at the dance, you're going to have a lot of suitors. Anyone who goes to UFA this year that's not a plug is going to get paid more than people are used to seeing from a comp standpoint given we've been flat cap for years.

And I don't want to give him $6M either, but that most likely means he's gone. Which may be fine, but it certainly doesn't help.
next year or twothe nhl minimum salary jumps almost 10% so your are wrong in saying lower end guys won’t be getting paid more.

It’s absolutely going to be trickled throughout teams rosters

Reactions: lopey

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
next year or twothe nhl minimum salary jumps almost 10% so your are wrong in saying lower end guys won’t be getting paid more.

It’s absolutely going to be trickled throughout teams rosters
So $90K for the minimum guys? Ok.

We've seen big salary jumps in other sports. We've seen it in the NHL. It's not going to be applied evenly - it never is. And even more tilted in the NHLs case because of the paucity of high end players who actually make it to UFA.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Guentzel seems like a perfect fit for Carolina

He’s a big time golfer - US born not far from home - playing on a line with Jarvis & Aho

He gets the 8th year there

Seems like a slam dunk

I’ll go 8 years which could be a problem because of age but if they do 8X8 seems a good bet

DeBrusk if the season ended today I offer 5 years at $5.5 M that’s a middle tier forward using the DKH chart on deals signed that have UFA years (the chart was just thought up waiting to take a left out of a Dunkin Donuts parking lot so I had a lot of time to think about this)

10+ super star
7-9.9 star
4-6.9 good/very good

DeBrusk falls smack dab in middle of the last one
I think Guentzel is going to get paid. Not sure if he will stay in the Carolinas, but I see him getting offered 10 for his services. Jake? I agree with you that 5.5 would be ideal. I do not think he will stay for that though IF he gets a higher offer elsewhere.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Just a question of who they could bring in with that money. I'd rather bring back Bertuzzi or pick up someone like Chandler Stephenson who I'd imagine would be in the same ballpark.

Or Sweeney could just pull some more rabbits out of his hat for league minimum.
I get the frustration with Jake, and I am someone who wants more from him and maybe it is time too move on from, but those players you mentioned are a no go for me , I would rather keep Jake.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Slaf was first overall

Bruins fans are calling talk radio here trashing pasta

Slaf would be so hated in Boston
The fans that trash Pasta are the fans that listen to that trash talk radio that knows shit about hockey. If you are getting your hockey info from Felger, " oh is time for me to kiss your ass Mike, Maz and of course we have "Cannabis Murray "

Reactions: Ladyfan and DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If my day starts with waking up to go to work, it’s already a bad day.
And it’s the locally owned and operated Heav’nly Donuts that offers a small dose of enjoyment to my work day.

However that goes away with the last sip of iced tea and last bite of my blueberry muffin and it’s on to 7.5 more hours of misery.
How are the blueberry muffins ? Is this the one in Lowell

The fans that trash Pasta are the fans that listen to that trash talk radio that knows shit about hockey. If you are getting your hockey info from Felger, " oh is time for me to kiss your ass Mike, Maz and of course we have "Cannabis Murray "
That is the one

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Guentzel seems like a perfect fit for Carolina

He’s a big time golfer - US born not far from home - playing on a line with Jarvis & Aho

He gets the 8th year there

Seems like a slam dunk

I’ll go 8 years which could be a problem because of age but if they do 8X8 seems a good bet

DeBrusk if the season ended today I offer 5 years at $5.5 M that’s a middle tier forward using the DKH chart on deals signed that have UFA years (the chart was just thought up waiting to take a left out of a Dunkin Donuts parking lot so I had a lot of time to think about this)

10+ super star
7-9.9 star
4-6.9 good/very good

DeBrusk falls smack dab in middle of the last one
You consistently brighten my days!

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Wait so I’m honestly a little confused here. I’m saying I wouldn’t pay him $6m and you also are saying you wouldn’t pay him $6m.

So what are you saying?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Wait so I’m honestly a little confused here. I’m saying I wouldn’t pay him $6m and you also are saying you wouldn’t pay him $6m.

So what are you saying?
There's a difference between what a player's value is and whether or not you'd be willing to pay him that. People saying they'd go 3x$4M or whatever for him is pointless, because that's not his value and he wouldn't accept that.

His value (if he were to hit UFA) is absolutely above $5.5M per year. The question is whether you'd sign up for it or not.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
There's a difference between what a player's value is and whether or not you'd be willing to pay him that. People saying they'd go 3x$4M or whatever for him is pointless, because that's not his value and he wouldn't accept that.

His value (if he were to hit UFA) is absolutely above $5.5M per year. The question is whether you'd sign up for it or not.
Oh I see where we disagree.

I don’t think it’s hard for a top 6 player who gets power play time to get 40 points a year. That’s actually below expectation.

Most third liners in the nhl today, given debrusks deployments and PP time would have very similar numbers.

Hell, look at heinen and Frederic. If they were given debrusks position the whole year in the top 6 and PP time they’d be blowing past debrusk.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Oh I see where we disagree.

I don’t think it’s hard for a top 6 player who gets power play time to get 40 points a year. That’s actually below expectation.

Most third liners in the nhl today, given debrusks deployments and PP time would have very similar numbers.

Hell, look at heinen and Frederic. If they were given debrusks position the whole year in the top 6 and PP time they’d be blowing past debrusk.
And here we are again overrating third liners.

Jake's production - again, compared to his peers - is much higher than people think. And now the trope is anyone could do what he does if they were given PP time. And yet there are scores of players who don't do that.

Jake is 176th among forwards for PP TOI by the way, and only two of his goals are powerplay goals.

But ok.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad