Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
We will score a goal on at least one of his shifts every single game he plays against us, so there’s that too. I’ve zero fear of playing against him.
I like your confidence even if it is over confidence. Few combos were better than Kam/Trouba in the first few months of the season. To just cut him should be the last resort but some fans are emotionally involved because they want him gone so much. Just like some couldn't wait to get rid of Zooks and JT Miller. Last offseason some were like that with Bread as well.

Reactions: eco's bones

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I like your confidence even if it is over confidence. Few combos were better than Kam/Trouba in the first few months of the season. To just cut him should be the last resort but some fans are emotionally involved because they want him gone so much. Just like some couldn't wait to get rid of Zooks and JT Miller. Last offseason some were like that with Bread as well.

Again, JT Miller admitted he acted a fool here and basically said he needed to be traded twice to become who he is now. He was never going to be that here. Zooks was never going to put us over the top either.

Schneider will look better this year and ZJ in the wings, who I am more than willing to give a full season shot to. His mobility & puck prowess may have come in handy against a team like Florida.

I think there will be takers for him, cap rising, he has pedigree and has infamous hits. Let’s fleece while he’s still valuable.

Reactions: DanishRanger

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Again, JT Miller admitted he acted a fool here and basically said he needed to be traded twice to become who he is now. He was never going to be that here. Zooks was never going to put us over the top either.

Schneider will look better this year and ZJ in the wings, who I am more than willing to give a full season shot to. His mobility & puck prowess may have come in handy against a team like Florida.

I think there will be takers for him, cap rising, he has pedigree and has infamous hits. Let’s fleece while he’s still valuable.
Well looking to trade Trouba is fine. That is much different than the people saying just cut him today.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Well Rempe's got infamous hits already too. Fanbases like to whine. When it's one of our guys getting lit up though it's almost always fine and dandy. If you think Maurice, Brind'amour, Keefe, Patrick Roy would have a problem if one of their D flattened Panarin or Fox with heads down......think again. It's pretty much the thing I like best about Trouba....maybe keeping your head up is too old school now but pretty much all his hits have been fine as far as player safety and hockey is still a combat sport.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Trouba needs to be traded and you attach a draft pick to him to get the full benefit of the move. The solution is obvious. If Drury refuses to do that then we will be in Groundhog Day every deadline trying to put a band aid over a top 6 RW wound until Othman can take that spot.

Perreault's way more likely to be in our top 6 before Othmann. By the time Othmann's ready for anything like top 6 ice time Trouba's current contract will have expired and Othmann will at the least be on his second contract. He's not as close as some people think he is. Also he might top out as a 3rd line guy.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Perreault's way more likely to be in our top 6 before Othmann. By the time Othmann's ready for anything like top 6 ice time Trouba's current contract will have expired and Othmann will at the least be on his second contract. He's not as close as some people think he is. Also he might top out as a 3rd line guy.
Sometimes fans get emotional and just want change for change sake even if it is not logical. I do think we need changes. I do not think we should make bad moves though just to make moves. The thought of attaching an asset to get rid of Trouba is premature at best. Goody basically got traded. PLD got traded. There is nothing saying we have to make a rash move by June 30th. My hope is Drury has thought things out. I'd really seek out how Trouba of Oct-Nov-Dec became Trouba of April-May. I have never seen a guys game drop of a table that hard. How much was injury related?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sometimes fans get emotional and just want change for change sake even if it is not logical. I do think we need changes. I do not think we should make bad moves though just to make moves. The thought of attaching an asset to get rid of Trouba is premature at best. Goody basically got traded. PLD got traded. There is nothing saying we have to make a rash move by June 30th. My hope is Drury has thought things out. I'd really seek out how Trouba of Oct-Nov-Dec became Trouba of April-May. I have never seen a guys game drop of a table that hard. How much was injury related?

Yeah Trouba's got two years left. We won't have cap issues unless we sign a big name UFA or make a big deal by trading off assets instead of actual NHL players. As far as the bigger names like Guentzel, Reinhart, Pesce....it's likely it won't happen and they'll sign with other teams though I do expect that we're going to look hard for a vet RW that can play with Mika and Chris.

Trouba had his issues in the playoffs. Whether or not that was all ankle injury related. Still the Rangers had one of the better defenses and won the league and if the end result wasn't satisfactory most defense corps around the league are worse......some a lot worse. Also the closer that Trouba gets to contract expiration the easier he will be to move and he's got two years left and I'm not attaching a 1st or 2nd just to get rid of his contract especially when we're not anywhere near real cap trouble. That IMO would be stupid.

Also however bad Trouba was particularly against the Panthers....Fox was also hampered by a knee injury and Lindgren claimed a cracked rib from the Carolina series. Neither of them were particularly good and neither was Miller or Gustafsson. The entire team was on its heels the entire series. The only players who really stood out were Shesterkin, Trocheck and Lafreniere. Fans like to land on one guy like that's going to fix everything else. Almost always after that player is gone they land on someone else and the cycle begins all over again.

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
I would like to respond with a question of you myself: Who would you say is the leader(s) of the Florida Panthers, the Oilers, last year's Golden Knights, the Lightning SC teams, the Pens SC teams, hell the Rangers 94 team?
Generally the Captains for all of the teams you mentioned- most of the time there are 2-3 strong leaders supporting the captain. I thought that was obvious?

To me, Trouba seems like a leader. Trocheck, Laf (when older) too.

Zbad, Fox, Panarin…. Absolutely not. In fact, the opposite. An effective leadership team has to work together and certain characteristics have to be innate.

The Rangers 94 team- are you really asking who the leader was there?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yeah Trouba's got two years left. We won't have cap issues unless we sign a big name UFA or make a big deal by trading off assets instead of actual NHL players. As far as the bigger names like Guentzel, Reinhart, Pesce....it's likely it won't happen and they'll sign with other teams though I do expect that we're going to look hard for a vet RW that can play with Mika and Chris.

Trouba had his issues in the playoffs. Whether or not that was all ankle injury related. Still the Rangers had one of the better defenses and won the league and if the end result wasn't satisfactory most defense corps around the league are worse......some a lot worse. Also the closer that Trouba gets to contract expiration the easier he will be to move and he's got two years left and I'm not attaching a 1st or 2nd just to get rid of his contract especially when we're not anywhere near real cap trouble. That IMO would be stupid.

Also however bad Trouba was particularly against the Panthers....Fox was also hampered by a knee injury and Lindgren claimed a cracked rib from the Carolina series. Neither of them were particularly good and neither was Miller or Gustafsson. The entire team was on its heels the entire series. The only players who really stood out were Shesterkin, Trocheck and Lafreniere. Fans like to land on one guy like that's going to fix everything else. Almost always after that player is gone they land on someone else and the cycle begins all over again.
I agree with you. The pile on 2 players (Trouba and Mika) was misguided. Most the team did not play well vs Florida. It was not only 2 guys.

I think our Dmen are over rated. I think good goaltending tends to save them. When I say them I'm talking about most of them including Fox, Lindy, and Trouba. I thought Florida's Dmen played so much tougher and better. Now in defense to our Dmen our forwards let them be abused. They were sitting ducks below our goal line at times and they took a beating. Our forwards should have been trying to slow down guys.

Our team does need changes but they have to be smart moves not just irrational emotional moves. I think Drurys first two moves of this offseason were smart. I hope Drury figures his way out of this puzzle. I know a lot of fans say just do this or that. I'm honestly not sure what we should do.

I would like to respond with a question of you myself: Who would you say is the leader(s) of the Florida Panthers, the Oilers, last year's Golden Knights, the Lightning SC teams, the Pens SC teams, hell the Rangers 94 team?
The 94 team had multiple leaders. Big names like Messier and Leetch but also other guys like Lowe, Graves, McTavish, etc.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
To everyone saying that Trouba “had his issues” in the playoffs this year, can we discuss what that means exactly? He didn’t just have issues - he was beyond terrible. If his line wasn’t getting caved in or scored on he was taking penalty after penalty. The missed hit in the elimination game was a perfect physical embodiment of how awful he had been.

Also, does anyone have objective statistics for his supposed good play pre-Christmas? Because to me he’s been pretty bad for years now. Not ECHL level awful, but bad.

Regardless of potential fit, you simply cannot have that on your third pair. We would be much better off with a keep it simple stay at home type next to Jones. I don’t want this guy out there trying to “lead by example” anymore.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
To everyone saying that Trouba “had his issues” in the playoffs this year, can we discuss what that means exactly? He didn’t just have issues - he was beyond terrible. If his line wasn’t getting caved in or scored on he was taking penalty after penalty. The missed hit in the elimination game was a perfect physical embodiment of how awful he had been.

Also, does anyone have objective statistics for his supposed good play pre-Christmas? Because to me he’s been pretty bad for years now. Not ECHL level awful, but bad.

Regardless of potential fit, you simply cannot have that on your third pair. We would be much better off with a keep it simple stay at home type next to Jones. I don’t want this guy out there trying to “lead by example” anymore.
“He’s done a tremendous job evolving into that type of player.”

The 29-year-old is having his finest year since coming to New York in a trade from Winnipeg before the 2019-20 season. His positional play and reads have been exemplary. He has paired with K’Andre Miller to form a tandem that entered Monday with the best goals-for percentage in the NHL (13 for, 5 against, 72.2) among the 20 duos with at least 250 minutes at five-on-five. He’s a linchpin of the penalty kill.

“I think this is probably the most comfortable I’ve been,” he said. “The first year of the captaincy is out of the way and I’m comfortable in that role, more comfortable than I was last year.

That was on Nov 27 2023

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
“He’s done a tremendous job evolving into that type of player.”

The 29-year-old is having his finest year since coming to New York in a trade from Winnipeg before the 2019-20 season. His positional play and reads have been exemplary. He has paired with K’Andre Miller to form a tandem that entered Monday with the best goals-for percentage in the NHL (13 for, 5 against, 72.2) among the 20 duos with at least 250 minutes at five-on-five. He’s a linchpin of the penalty kill.

“I think this is probably the most comfortable I’ve been,” he said. “The first year of the captaincy is out of the way and I’m comfortable in that role, more comfortable than I was last year.

That was on Nov 27 2023

Larry once called Kevin Hayes a linchpin too

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Larry once called Kevin Hayes a linchpin too
Even in this thread it was pretty much agreed that Trouba played well in October-November. The coaches must have seen some good things since he was leading the whole team in minutes played. I did not see many posts bashing him back then except from the people that always hate him. His play dramatically dropped. If I'm Drury I want to make sure why before I make a plan on how to proceed. Will he bounce back? Or is his play in the last couple of months his new norm?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Who honestly watches this team and says: “My oh my that Jake Trouba! Helluva hockey player!”

No one. He’ll throw a nasty hit every other game, but outside of that, at that cap hit, can stay or go. That’s not irrational or ‘emotional’ when you’ve a growing Schneider, Zac Jones thirsting for consistency or a trade who plays with more pace and puck movement while being defensively responsible.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So come July 1st are we really thinking he can get dealt ?

If he does wouldn’t they have to take a bad contract back ? I suggested Burkovsky from Seattle but that’s just a similar issue at a different position

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Your argument lost all credibility when you threw the 94 Rangers in there. If that team didn't have the best leader ever, we would be without a cup for 84 years. Of course that comment has zero to do with Mr. Trouba.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I am going to engage in this exercise because it's fun.

Raw stats

October - 1-2-3 +1 in 9 GP
November 0-6-6 +7 in 12 GP
December 1-4-5 +1 in 14 GP
Through the end of December (I'm not using post christmas because this is easier)

2-12-14 +9 35 GP

New Years onwards

1-9-10 -11 in 34 GP.

From a raw number perspective, yeah he definitely appears to have fallen off after the new year.

Using NST because they're the only resource I know of that allows you to break things up by dates for the numbers that scare people who don't like numbers. I'm not a huge fan of theirs because they miss shit all the time but I can't imagine they miss so much that the numbers are totally off the reservation.

Through Dec 31st these were Jacob Troubas Rates (amongst regulars, I'm removing Zac Jones from the equation) -

xGF/60 - 4th out of 6 (2.54)
xGA/60 - 6th out of 6 (2.82)
HDCF/60 - 2nd out of 6 (11.45)
HDCA/60 - 6th out of 6 (13.19)

His defensive game was very bad in the first half of the season while his offensive game was... okay? Kind of lines up with what he is, a mediocre offensive defenseman who is bad defensively and throws the occasional big hit.

Jan 1 to end of the season

xGF/60 - 4th out of 6 (2.41)
xGA/60 - 1st(!) out of 6 (2.42)
HDCF/60 - 5th out of 6 (10.27)
HDCA/60 - 1st(AGAIN!) out of 6 (9.85)

Jacob Trouba actually IMPROVED defensively in the 2nd half of the season with a modest drop off in his offensive numbers (he probably outperformed what he was doing in the first half but chance generation also fell off.) Trouba got boned by bad goaltending (.890 on ice sv% despite being tops in both expected goals against and high dangers chances for) and as per usual, no one really cares about what happens on the ice if a goal is scored against, it's one of the reasons why #55 has escaped so much heat.

Anyway This is a guy who I would have been okay with rolling out on a bottom pair where his numbers would look even better (He was doing this with mostly top 4 minutes.) Playoffs were a shit show, but they were a shit show for more than just him.

#Mythbusted.

PS: You know who was a certifiable shit show beyond belief in the 2nd half of the season? Ryan Lindgren, who was also f***ing bad in the first half and some how just managed to get unfathomably bad post new years considering who he plays with.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I agree with you. The pile on 2 players (Trouba and Mika) was misguided. Most the team did not play well vs Florida. It was not only 2 guys.

I think our Dmen are over rated. I think good goaltending tends to save them. When I say them I'm talking about most of them including Fox, Lindy, and Trouba. I thought Florida's Dmen played so much tougher and better. Now in defense to our Dmen our forwards let them be abused. They were sitting ducks below our goal line at times and they took a beating. Our forwards should have been trying to slow down guys.

Our team does need changes but they have to be smart moves not just irrational emotional moves. I think Drurys first two moves of this offseason were smart. I hope Drury figures his way out of this puzzle. I know a lot of fans say just do this or that. I'm honestly not sure what we should do.

The 94 team had multiple leaders. Big names like Messier and Leetch but also other guys like Lowe, Graves, McTavish, etc.

It's impossible to say to what degree the injuries to Trouba, Fox and Lindgren hampered those D. What was obvious to me though is that the Panthers team was better built for the playoffs including their D. I get the critique that the Rangers D weren't as effective at moving the puck which is an area that Jones who didn't play excels at. Part of the issue with moving the puck quickly and effectively is not just about puck and passing skills though it's also about the forwards giving the D good outlets to move pucks to. If the forwards aren't finding seams the D's first passes aren't going to be that great and this is partly about what it takes to effectively handle teams that pressure pucks. We managed with Carolina but not with a heavier checking Florida team.

I don't think that's the entire issue with our defense against the Panthers though. The other issue is how the Panthers manhandled us in the corners and behind the net and how they were continually able to get in on Igor's crease and to the slot area in front of our net and we couldn't push them out when they got there. Their forwards were a lot more effective doing that than our forwards. Playoffs are about attrition and cycling and beating up on the opposition D is how teams win. And I just don't think the Rangers D was physical or tough enough.....that includes Trouba with his wobbly ankle and Lindgren with his cracked rib and FWIW I'm more inclined to move on from Lindgren than from Trouba. I get that Ryan is a gamer and plays through a lot of hurt but he's not really to my eyes all that physical.....it's more that he's just involved.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It's impossible to say to what degree the injuries to Trouba, Fox and Lindgren hampered those D. What was obvious to me though is that the Panthers team was better built for the playoffs including their D. I get the critique that the Rangers D weren't as effective at moving the puck which is an area that Jones who didn't play excels at. Part of the issue with moving the puck quickly and effectively is not just about puck and passing skills though it's also about the forwards giving the D good outlets to move pucks to. If the forwards aren't finding seams the D's first passes aren't going to be that great and this is partly about what it takes to effectively handle teams that pressure pucks. We managed with Carolina but not with a heavier checking Florida team.

I don't think that's the entire issue with our defense against the Panthers though. The other issue is how the Panthers manhandled us in the corners and behind the net and how they were continually able to get in on Igor's crease and to the slot area in front of our net and we couldn't push them out when they got there. Their forwards were a lot more effective doing that than our forwards. Playoffs are about attrition and cycling and beating up on the opposition D is how teams win. And I just don't think the Rangers D was physical or tough enough.....that includes Trouba with his wobbly ankle and Lindgren with his cracked rib and FWIW I'm more inclined to move on from Lindgren than from Trouba. I get that Ryan is a gamer and plays through a lot of hurt but he's not really to my eyes all that physical.....it's more that he's just involved.
I resoect Ryan tremendously but its hard to be a physical dman at his size in todays league. He bounces off stronger bigger guys. We have an interesting group of Dmen. They all have some positives but in the playoffs as a group their ceiling is limited imo. I would be hard pressed to say who our best Dman vs Florida was.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I resoect Ryan tremendously but its hard to be a physical dman at his size in todays league. He bounces off stronger bigger guys. We have an interesting group of Dmen. They all have some positives but in the playoffs as a group their ceiling is limited imo. I would be hard pressed to say who our best Dman vs Florida was.

Maybe Schneider but even he wasn't that good. He got the least minutes. I think that helped. It seemed like we were too often dumping the puck into the neutral zone from our own end. That the forwards weren't giving great options either. Mika and Wennberg's lines were being stuffed all the time. I wasn't miffed at Panarin too much. It seemed to me Florida was all over him but that also gave Trocheck and Lafreniere more room but really the second and third lines weren't able to create much at all. Florida would turn over pucks in the neutral zone and it would be right back in and banging bodies. For a defenseman that's exhausting.

I like Lindgren. He's involved and he's a gamer but a big physical team just runs right over him. He'll take the beating and come back for more but the other part of it is Fox is pretty much on his own when he gets clobbered then too. I'd like a bigger and nastier option to pair Adam with. I think Fox took much shit from all the teams we played in the playoffs and it's at least in part why his offense was off. There was the knee but the knee was also an example of a Caps player taking liberties with him.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Maybe Schneider but even he wasn't that good. He got the least minutes. I think that helped. It seemed like we were too often dumping the puck into the neutral zone from our own end. That the forwards weren't giving great options either. Mika and Wennberg's lines were being stuffed all the time. I wasn't miffed at Panarin too much. It seemed to me Florida was all over him but that also gave Trocheck and Lafreniere more room but really the second and third lines weren't able to create much at all.

I like Lindgren. He's involved and he's a gamer but a big physical team just runs right over him. He'll take the beating and come back for more but the other part of it is Fox is pretty much on his own when he gets clobbered then too. I'd like a bigger and nastier option to pair Adam with. I think Fox took much shit from all the teams we played in the playoffs and it's at least in part why his offense was off. There was the knee but the knee was also an example of a Caps player taking liberties with him.
I agree about Schneider. Its a fine line playing injured. I respect that Fox and Trouba played while hurting. I don't think guys should be judged while playing through pain. With that said all series I said we should dress 7 dmen because I could see how bad physically our defense looked. I agree with you that we need more of a monster paired with Fox.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Generally the Captains for all of the teams you mentioned- most of the time there are 2-3 strong leaders supporting the captain. I thought that was obvious?

To me, Trouba seems like a leader. Trocheck, Laf (when older) too.

Zbad, Fox, Panarin…. Absolutely not. In fact, the opposite. An effective leadership team has to work together and certain characteristics have to be innate.

The Rangers 94 team- are you really asking who the leader was there?
Your argument lost all credibility when you threw the 94 Rangers in there. If that team didn't have the best leader ever, we would be without a cup for 84 years. Of course that comment has zero to do with Mr. Trouba.
You actually missed my argument:
The captains generally the preeminent leaders of the team right? Of course with leadership group around him. Ok:

Oilers, McDavid: Generational, future 1st ballot HHoF

Panthers, Barkov: preeminent 2-way player in the game w/skills to go through multiple players like his last goal. Likely future HHoF

VGK, Stone: Another Preeminent 2way foward

Lightning, Stamkos: Elite player, future HHoF

Pens, Crosby: Generational, 1st ballot HHoF

94 NYR, Messier (no shit): 3rd all time points, HHoF (no shit)

All can back up their leadership in the room with their elite abilities on the ice. Trouba just can't, especially last two years/playoff runs.

Messier the best leader all-time no doubt but ask the Canucks about his leadership as his play deteriorated and they missed the playoffs all three years he was there (and his subsequent years with the NYRs). Of course that goes beyond him but leadership doesn't mean much if your play can't back it up.

Trouba's heart is in the right place but his play has become detrimental in the prominent match ups they are putting him in and he makes too much in a salary capped league to shelter him on a 3rd pair and become a glorified cheerleader.

TL,DR: Your best players need to be your leaders and your leaders need to be your best players. Unfortunately, despite his best efforts, that ain't Trouba. You can't carry a bad player just for his leadership in a capped league.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The best players have to be captains often happens but it isn't a necessity. Sometimes the best leaders aren't captains. Sometimes the best players aren't great leaders.

Mark Stone, Gabe Landeskog, Alex Pietrangelo, Dustin Brown, Toews, were all guys that were not considered the best players on their teams.

Brian Leetch was arguably our best player but he felt the weight of being named captain was a negative.

I personally do not like coaches naming captains nor do I like multiple captains. I prefer the team vote in secret. They know best who influences a locker room imo.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You actually missed my argument:
The captains generally the preeminent leaders of the team right? Of course with leadership group around him. Ok:

Oilers, McDavid: Generational, future 1st ballot HHoF

Panthers, Barkov: preeminent 2-way player in the game w/skills to go through multiple players like his last goal. Likely future HHoF

VGK, Stone: Another Preeminent 2way foward

Lightning, Stamkos: Elite player, future HHoF

Pens, Crosby: Generational, 1st ballot HHoF

94 NYR, Messier (no shit): 3rd all time points, HHoF (no shit)

All can back up their leadership in the room with their elite abilities on the ice. Trouba just can't, especially last two years/playoff runs.

Messier the best leader all-time no doubt but ask the Canucks about his leadership as his play deteriorated and they missed the playoffs all three years he was there (and his subsequent years with the NYRs). Of course that goes beyond him but leadership doesn't mean much if your play can't back it up.

Trouba's heart is in the right place but his play has become detrimental in the prominent match ups they are putting him in and he makes too much in a salary capped league to shelter him on a 3rd pair and become a glorified cheerleader.

TL,DR: Your best players need to be your leaders and your leaders need to be your best players. Unfortunately, despite his best efforts, that ain't Trouba. You can't carry a bad player just for his leadership in a capped league.

The captain is a nonsense role that is so irrelevant in every other sport that they either don't have full time captains, nobody knows who the captains are, or they have rotating captains each week yet somehow it's this mythical status in hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad