Player Discussion: Sean Monahan

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Something has not been right with his shooting, either mentally or physically, or both. He was always a picky shooter which is alright, but last couple years it's almost looked like he refuses to shoot and when he does it's not the accurate super rocket it used to be. Laine literally used to feel like, and be, a legitimate scoring threat from anywhere inside the blue line. Haven't had that feeling for a long time.

I still have that feeling that he can definitely do it. It's just that he opts so often not to do it. It's maddening.

I think it's all part of him trying to be a more well rounded player. That was always the critique, still seems to be in some circles. Although he's actually tightened his all around play up considerably and he wasn't a disaster at any point. He was just so much more seen as the goal scorer, and he embraced that role at first.

A lot of people got in his ear, maybe he even read the press or forums and wasn't liking the image people had. So he's been trying to do "too much" and not really being able to focus on that one thing he has over others. I hope he gets back to shooting more because that is unique to watch. When there's another legit threat in his line who understands how to use Laine, we could see that shooting Laine back.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I still have that feeling that he can definitely do it. It's just that he opts so often not to do it. It's maddening.

I think it's all part of him trying to be a more well rounded player. That was always the critique, still seems to be in some circles. Although he's actually tightened his all around play up considerably and he wasn't a disaster at any point. He was just so much more seen as the goal scorer, and he embraced that role at first.

A lot of people got in his ear, maybe he even read the press or forums and wasn't liking the image people had. So he's been trying to do "too much" and not really being able to focus on that one thing he has over others. I hope he gets back to shooting more because that is unique to watch. When there's another legit threat in his line who understands how to use Laine, we could see that shooting Laine back.

For the same reason it didn't work with Gaudreau, I don't think a linemate is get Laine going. Only Laine can do it. I wish he was okay with just being a sniper with a good backcheck. If he stops insisting on carrying every puck then other talents on his line can help him more. They can't set him up with a pass if he already has it.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
How did this turn into another Laine thread? Sheesh
Screenshot_20240703_093937_Chrome.jpg

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I've taken some time to think about this signing and try to research why Monahan's last few seasons went the way they did. I know some folks are concerned with a degradation in his play/point production over the last few years.

Before that timeframe, people on this board would have been clamoring for a guy like Monahan on CBJ. In fact, I seem to remember him coming up as an option a few times, although it may have been as a reclamation project during his rough injury stretch. Either way, after my research and drawing on some of my own hockey playing experience, I want to tell folks why when Monahan says that he is back to 100%, I believe him.

Monahan's decline started in the 19/20 season, but really got bad in the 20/21 and 21/22 seasons. He had labrum surgery on his left hip after 50 games in the 20/21 season. I believe that this injury was affecting him through both the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons, and this is one of the injuries he attempted to play through.

I had this same injury playing hockey in high school. Obviously I'm not a pro athlete, but motions such as ice skating/skiing are the activities that aggravate this injury the most. This injury makes it nearly impossible to skate at maximum ability, or process the game for that matter, due to the pain. But, it won't necessarily hurt all the time or even in every game, which is why I'm guessing Monahan tried to play through it.

Eventually though, it becomes apparent that it needs to be fixed. They would have stitched up his labrum, and also rounded the ball joint at the top of his femur, as the labrum tears are caused by a bone spur on that ball joint, or just not completely rounded bone. After this surgery his hip should be as good as new. Many NHL players have had this same surgery and been fully recovered for their whole careers afterwards.

After the following season, 21/22, he had the same surgery on his other hip, which means that he had the same exact issue in this season as the prior seasons, albeit on the other side. As such, his skating and processing abilities would have been severely limited this season as well. This was the season that led to him being scratched many times and eventually traded to the Habs as a cap dump, after only 23 points in 65 games.

Starting in 22/23, he finally had 2 healthy hips and played decently well for the Habs, playing at a 55 point pace before suffering a foot injury and a groin injury, which was said to be as a result for compensating to play through his foot injury, and then was out for the season.

Obviously, this past season he had a resurgence and was fully healthy. I believe after his hip surgeries, he is not the player that he was during that tough period from 2019-2022. Due to my personal experience with the same injury, I am 100% convinced that his decline in play was due to these hip injuries, and that now he probably feels just like his pre-2019 self.

5 years is still pushing it at his age obviously, but I truly believe that we got a serviceable 1C in Monahan at a reasonable price with a rising cap. And I am not at all worried that he regresses back to what he was in that 2019-2022 period. Maybe I eat my words, but I seriously doubt it. His hips should be 100% healthy and he shouldn't have to worry about them for the rest of his career. Just don't let him play through any more injuries!

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
5 years is still pushing it at his age obviously, but I truly believe that we got a serviceable 1C in Monahan at a reasonable price with a rising cap. And I am not at all worried that he regresses back to what he was in that 2019-2022 period. Maybe I eat my words, but I seriously doubt it. His hips should be 100% healthy and he shouldn't have to worry about them for the rest of his career. Just don't let him play through any more injuries!

I hope that is the case and if he is indeed back to good health with no lingering issues, then 5.5 AAV might even be a bit of a steal, or at least very good value. I think 3 years would've been optimal but it probably really took 5 and I don't see those last two years as a huge problem no matter how things go. He might be close to his prime through the contract, or decline gracefully where he's still a very useful center lower down the lineup - or he might fall off a cliff, but realistically, I'd say health permitting he should be fine for first 3 years at least.

Of course it's also possible he'll just break down next season already and be back to 30 points, I think that's a legit risk when you're playing through injuries for extended periods, even if the original stuff is fixed now it's possible it's affected his posture, motions etc. in a way which overtime has messed up his knees or back or something... but I'm no doctor and even if I were, I don't have access to his medical information, so I'll just hope for the best :)

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
... but I'm no doctor and even if I were, I don't have access to his medical information, so I'll just hope for the best :)

A point of concern for me is the medical advice that Waddell got on both Monahan and Lindstrom.

Both have had serious health issues and the track record of the CBJ medical staff/training staff has come into question due to the high number of injuries over the past several seasons.

There's a certain amount of risk in any UFA or draft pick. My hope is that the decision making process regarding the two aforementioned players was sound.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
A point of concern for me is the medical advice that Waddell got on both Monahan and Lindstrom.

Both have had serious health issues and the track record of the CBJ medical staff/training staff has come into question due to the high number of injuries over the past several seasons.

There's a certain amount of risk in any UFA or draft pick. My hope is that the decision making process regarding the two aforementioned players was sound.
Ignoring most of what I want to say he played 83 games last year and Winnipegs staff clearly felt good about Monahans health as they offered the same contract

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Ignoring most of what I want to say he played 83 games last year and Winnipegs staff clearly felt good about Monahans health as they offered the same contract
Do the names Ryan Murray and Nathan Horton ring a bell? Columbus medical approved acquisitions.

The notion that Monahan is without health risk is not erased by an 83 games played season. I hope he stays healthy but it's patently absurd to dismiss long term health concerns.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Do the names Ryan Murray and Nathan Horton ring a bell? Columbus medical approved acquisitions.

The notion that Monahan is without health risk is not erased by an 83 games played season. I hope he stays healthy but it's patently absurd to dismiss long term health concerns.
C'mon now. Firstly, do we even know if the same medical staff from 10 years ago (when Horton was signed and 2 years after Murray was rafted) is here now? I know the training staff went through a lot of changes when Bob and others were having groin injuries, its not out of the question that the medical staff has changed too.

Secondly, even if it is the same staff, no organization is going to make the perfect decision every time. If we're only going to complain about two players in this situation over a 24 year period, I think thats pretty good numbers. What happened to Murray was unfortunate, but it's not like he was constantly injured in juniors before we drafted him.

As I said earlier in the thread, of course there is an increased risk with Monahan's history. But until shown otherwise, I am going to take him at his word that the reason for his dip in play and repeated injuries was because he didn't rehab correctly and was always focused on getting back as soon as possible rather than healing. He changed his mindset, healed up, and was completely healthy last year. We'll see what happens long term, but the early results on his new regime/mindset seem to be working.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
C'mon now. Firstly, do we even know if the same medical staff from 10 years ago (when Horton was signed and 2 years after Murray was rafted) is here now? I know the training staff went through a lot of changes when Bob and others were having groin injuries, its not out of the question that the medical staff has changed too.

Secondly, even if it is the same staff, no organization is going to make the perfect decision every time. If we're only going to complain about two players in this situation over a 24 year period, I think thats pretty good numbers. What happened to Murray was unfortunate, but it's not like he was constantly injured in juniors before we drafted him.

As I said earlier in the thread, of course there is an increased risk with Monahan's history. But until shown otherwise, I am going to take him at his word that the reason for his dip in play and repeated injuries was because he didn't rehab correctly and was always focused on getting back as soon as possible rather than healing. He changed his mindset, healed up, and was completely healthy last year. We'll see what happens long term, but the early results on his new regime/mindset seem to be working.
Did Murray even have an injury history in Junior before he was drafted?

Ad

Ad

Ad