Confirmed with Link: Jackets sign Sean Monahan 5x5.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
:facepalm:

I am this close to just giving up on hockey altogether.

What's next? He hires McEligott as PBP because "I love those little quips he has when goals are scored"?
Come on, you have been standing at the edge ready to jump since before DW was even officially hired. You gave Doug MacLean years, you gave Scott Howson years, you gave Jarmo years, at least give DW one or two. Maybe just maybe he knows a thing or two about winning hockey.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It's a pretty small sample size of where those two weren't playing together in that span. But yes, when healthy Monahan hasn't been too terrible. He's a smart player and knows how to find space around the mid slot, and is an underrated passer.

But even when healthy, he relied pretty extensively on getting carried by Gaudreau. Look at Monahan's xG share with and without Gaudreau in that span:
View attachment 890985
Are we supposed to pretend like Calgary was loaded back then and Monahan had a whole host of wingers to play with but could only be carried by Johnny? Until they added pieces like Tkachuk/Lindholm it wasnt an exactly star studded forward group. Then by the time Tkachuk and Lindholm took off Monahan's body was falling apart.

But regardless of the Calgary history because who cares he still adds things to this team. Who knows, maybe Laine comes back and that works. Or maybe he works with Chinakhov or so on,we dont know that the only thing that comes from this is that they are married as a line again. Im sure it will start that way as there is some familiarity but play from there will dictate the rest

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Come on, you have been standing at the edge ready to jump since before DW was even officially hired. You gave Doug MacLean years, you gave Scott Howson years, you gave Jarmo years, at least give DW one or two. Maybe just maybe he knows a thing or two about winning hockey.
Howson's moves always made good sense to me, Kekalainen freaked me out but initially got results (at least with the first try 'round), and MacLean was... well, that was less about his teams and more about listening to George Matthews calls. Just about every I Still Believe, I Still Get Something Out Of This Team fallback I have has gotten the rug yanked out from under it lately and it keeps threatening to get that much worse with every turn.

And that's just hockey; most of the rest I can't discuss for HF rules reasons and few if any here would care about the remainder.

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
The most important issue is how can CBJ best support and develop their young centers. So from that perspective I don't care whether Boone is better at center or wing. He and Monahan should both play where they can best support Fantilli, Voronkov, Sillinger and (in future years) Lindstrom. I hope our new coach has that objective in mind.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I think a lot of Monahans success will ride on his ability to stay healthy and have confidence in himself. It sounded from his presser that he was trying to play through injuries instead of taking the time to properly heal and come back 100%. Thinking about it in that light makes me feel better about his resurgence last season.

It's hard to gain any momentum when you're constantly in and out of the lineup and then you start to lose confidence and it's a struggle to do anything.

If he and Johnny still have that chemistry I think they could make a helluva pairing next season. I'm curious to see how Jenner or Vronk would look on that other wing..

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I have to laugh when people seem surprised at the AAV for Monahan. Look at all the signings and show me more than a few that were market value contracts. It’s so obvious that when you sign players in free agency, you will likely overpay. And it was especially true this year with the cap rising.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
As centers, Voronkov and Jenner are both better than Fantilli (at this point) and Sillinger.

Why do you keep penciling in the best centers on the wing and poor centers at center?

He scored 30 goals one year 9 years ago!

After that his offensive game, as a winger went in the tubes, not even a single 20 goal season.

He didn't rebound until a few years ago with heavy minutes at center. All the moaning about Jenner's usage, and it's been by far the best years of his career. He's been at a 30 goal pace each of the last three seasons.

All true, but at this point we're mainly concerned with what they can do together.
They aren’t going to play Fantilli on the wing, and honestly Sillinger has much more potential at the position than Boone does . The athletic had Boone mid 90s ranked as far as centers in the NHL . He’s much better on the wing , and if Don has made that observation already , my guess is many in the front office felt the same way .

Reactions: Toe Pick

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
I have to laugh when people seem surprised at the AAV for Monahan. Look at all the signings and show me more than a few that were market value contracts. It’s so obvious that when you sign players in free agency, you will likely overpay. And it was especially true this year with the cap rising.
Yeah it’s the same comments year after year on 90% of free agent threads.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They aren’t going to play Fantilli on the wing, and honestly Sillinger has much more potential at the position than Boone does . The athletic had Boone mid 90s ranked as far as centers in the NHL . He’s much better on the wing , and if Don has made that observation already , my guess is many in the front office felt the same way .

Sillinger doesn't have more potential to do anything than Boone Jenner. He's not better than Boone at a single thing.

They had Fantilli on the wing last year and they should keep him there this year.

Don barely knows the team at this point. Our next coach will have to figure it out with trial and error.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Would people rather have Monahan at 5x5.5 or Lindholm at 7x7.75?

Eerily comparable players, same age, 5th & 6th pick from the same draft class, practically identical career P/GP. Both had their best seasons playing with JG in Calgary.

Ok, last few years it hasn't been that close, but if Monahan is back to 100% health and doesn't have any lasting issues from his injuries, there's no reason why it couldn't be close again... maybe? Also, haven't looked but I would expect Lindholm to have better possession numbers generally, so there's that (?), but at their age the difference between 5x5.5 and 7x7.75 is pretty huge.

Of course the Monahan contract also carriers some risk, if he becomes a boat anchor again, that's 5.5m AAV down the drain.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
The blood cost so far

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Sillinger doesn't have more potential to do anything than Boone Jenner. He's not better than Boone at a single thing.

They had Fantilli on the wing last year and they should keep him there this year.

Don barely knows the team at this point. Our next coach will have to figure it out with trial and error.
They had Fantilli on the wing for a bit as a rookie , and that coach is now at the Citgo.. Cole had 13g 19a playing about 5 min a night less than Boone . Him and Voronkov both have a much higher ceiling than Boone who gives you mid 40s in points per season

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
I think you make a good point. Using ESPN's regular season stats Monahan has 59pts in 83 games or .71 pts/game. Over his career he has 538 in 764 which is .70 pts/game. He got 5.5m for 5 years.

Wennberg got 30 pts in 79 games .38pts/game last year or 244 in 712 for .34 pts/game in his career. He got 5m/yr for 2 years.

There is more to the game than just points and Wennberg is better defensively but I think I would rather have Monahan at 5.5 than Wennberg at 5 even with the extra term. Both guys are 29.

Of course I am comparing our move to SJ's move and SJ was worse than we were so maybe not the best team to use in a comparison. Lol.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
29 year old
Played entire season with no injuries
60 points
Great at face offs
Adds leadership
Great friend with Gaudreau which might help get him going

I like the signing.

Our center depth is solid now with a potential to be elite

Fantilli
Monahan
Jenner
Voronkov

This already looks good to me

Fantilli
Lindstrom
Voronkov
Sillinger

This will be incredible

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Not that any of us care what they say...

Steve dangle just continues to shit on Columbus while the others are at least looking at it optimisticly.

Edit:..... He's actually pulling for us to get a W?!

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
Would people rather have Monahan at 5x5.5 or Lindholm at 7x7.75?

Eerily comparable players, same age, 5th & 6th pick from the same draft class, practically identical career P/GP. Both had their best seasons playing with JG in Calgary.

Ok, last few years it hasn't been that close, but if Monahan is back to 100% health and doesn't have any lasting issues from his injuries, there's no reason why it couldn't be close again... maybe? Also, haven't looked but I would expect Lindholm to have better possession numbers generally, so there's that (?), but at their age the difference between 5x5.5 and 7x7.75 is pretty huge.

Of course the Monahan contract also carriers some risk, if he becomes a boat anchor again, that's 5.5m AAV down the drain.
I prefer the shorter contract for Monahan based on belief that Fantilli and Lindstrom will be the 1C and 2C in 4-5 years. I don't want a veteran on a long term deal blocking either of them. Would like Monahan's contract even better if it was 4 years, but's free agency...cost of doing business.

Reactions: Marioesque

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023

I heard Sillinger kicked Boone's ass in pickleball once.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I prefer the shorter contract for Monahan based on belief that Fantilli and Lindstrom will be the 1C and 2C in 4-5 years. I don't want a veteran on a long term deal blocking either of them. Would like Monahan's contract even better if it was 4 years, but's free agency...cost of doing business.

They can put Monahan at the wing at that point, or perhaps he'll be a good fit on an offensive third line. The money isn't too much for that role these days. Or maybe he'll be on LTIR by then, who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad