Confirmed with Link: Jackets sign Sean Monahan 5x5.5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Will be curious to see how the contract is structured. I see Monahan as a an often injured one way Center who might help get Johnny going for a year or two. He does not appear to be the type of player who can be moved up and down a lineup as he ages. Hopefully we can get out of this deal when Monahan's body breaks down.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In D-W( nevermind) we trust.. I'd have preferred 1 or 2 years less term but I can live with this.(not that it makes any difference) He doesn't work out the buyout cost for last 2 years is 4x 2.75 against a cap that will probably be over 100mm by then. Should help upgrade the lineup for next couple of years for sure. If he & JG reconnect it could be very good.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Look very carefully at the history chart in the upper-right. Note how this year in particular stood out. Note how otherwise he's been trash.
Oh I'm aware, I'm just hopeful that we might be able to make it work out in a new system, new coach, (mostly) new faces. I'm sure he'll be stapled to Johnny in an attempt to get them both going.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Love the pickup for our center depth. 0.7ppg, faceoff winner, who can play on the power play.

<Deleted Player availability comment>

It's not an overpay. This is market value for a 2-3 center.

Good news is He's already a top 5 center in our team history, the bad news is that he's a top 5 center in our team's history.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Y'know, that's a good point. How fortunate are we normally with player health, again?
First paragraph of his bio on NHL.com

Sean Monahan
At 6-foot-3 and 195 pounds, Monahan has proven to be one of the tougher and more durable players in the NHL.

Being that Boone Jenner has a career high of 49 points .. and Monahan has been regularly in the 60 point range , and hit 82 one year . It’s a massive upgrade at the center position . Monahan had nearly as many assist this year , as Boone did points . Now Boone will go back to wing, and we have size on wing with him and Voronkov there

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Y'know, that's a good point. How fortunate are we normally with player health, again?
something something is contract insured, yell at the sky.

I dont really care what has happened to other players, Im also excited to have an NHL coach and hopefully the strength/conditioning improves. Not personally going to lose my mind because Ive seen a player injured in the past and worst case moving forward LTIR exists. I see another voice for the Fantilli/Lindstroms/Johnsons of the world. Is it a good contract? No. Is it one that will make me lose my mind? No.

Reactions: majormajor

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
It's the cost of doing business on the first day of free agency. Seems like a better option than running it back with the same roster from last season. Hopefully he can click with JG and help others slot into more appropriate spots in the lineup. Also hoping the team will be more competitive and fun to watch.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
something something is contract insured, yell at the sky.

I dont really care what has happened to other players, Im also excited to have an NHL coach and hopefully the strength/conditioning improves. Not personally going to lose my mind because Ive seen a player injured in the past and worst case moving forward LTIR exists. I see another voice for the Fantilli/Lindstroms/Johnsons of the world. Is it a good contract? No. Is it one that will make me lose my mind? No.
By itself it's not the worst thing in the world. But that's also been true of every single personnel Waddell has made since he got here except the draft.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Lukewarm to it. At least one year too much. Veteran presence is good. CBJ will need offensive firepower when Laine leaves. Some relief for Jenner will be nice. But I would have thought that a two-way C would be better. You know, to help with that GA thing? On that note, I thought Columbus were prioritising D?

Looking at what the candid and transparent D-Wad has said about July 1st:
  • Not making any big splashes.
  • Looking at D and maybe a bottom 6 F.
  • Some of the worst decisions are made today.
1/3 ain't bad. Jokes aside, I will be intrigued to see how Waddell reasoned here.

I hope Monahan performs better than expected and that he clicks with Gaudreau.

Reactions: Viqsi

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He totally did, except for the part where his defensive failures erased his every 5v5 contribution.
He also played in Montreal where St.Louis was basically the polar opposite of Vincent. He had his kids playing fast and offense while slowly bringing up the defensive game. How do these fancy stats look in Montreal vs Winnipeg?

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
And what? Johnny Gaudreau, the NHL "star" needs special players? Can't he lead the team?
So we have a 30 year old player under his age of 35 whose defense is mediocre.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
That's a lot of term and money but I guess the hope here is that him and Johnny both have a real bounceback together
You may have hit the nail on the head for the reason of this signing.

I know little about the guy beyond stats that I have seen. A little negative on the deal (term/AAV) but it's in the "we shall see" category.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He also played in Montreal where St.Louis was basically the polar opposite of Vincent. He had his kids playing fast and offense while slowly bringing up the defensive game. How do these fancy stats look in Montreal vs Winnipeg?
Winnipeg's defense was better when he was not on the ice. The difference was indeed much uglier in Montreal, tho.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The $5.5 million AAV is what it is. Free agency and the cap will go up a good amount.

But 5 years is twice as long as he really should be getting.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
And what? Johnny Gaudreau, the NHL "star" needs special players? Can't he lead the team?
So we have a 30 year old player under his age of 35 whose defense is mediocre.
I mean if you understand the NHL, good center play is paramount. They put Boone Jenner on his line , who had a whopping 13 a on the season . So yes , having competent center play should dramatically help Gaudreau produce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad