Jackets - Leafs best of 5 play-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Predicting these playoffs is like trying to guess the exact temperature outside of Nationwide Arena on August 22.

These playoffs will be completely unpredictable. Far too many unknown factors at play to try and make a case of this team or that team.

Last edited:

Madic

May 21, 2008
Nyquist - Dubois - Atkinson
Foligno - Jenner - Bjorkstrand
Texier - Wennberg - Bemstrom
Gerbe - Shore - Nash
I'm tangenting here but when Anderson is healthy, do you guys ever run a shutdown line of Foligno/Jenner/Andy? Or is that one of those oldschool ideas that only works on paper?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I'm tangenting here but when Anderson is healthy, do you guys ever run a shutdown line of Foligno/Jenner/Andy? Or is that one of those oldschool ideas that only works on paper?

Ha, it’s funny you say that because that was actually one of our best lines last season (probably our second-best/most consistent behind Panarin - Dubois - Atkinson) but it didn’t really work out that well early this season for whatever reason and was broken up. But if Anderson is healthy, I would not be shocked at all if that’s the play, because Torts knows it can work and there will basically be no margin for error / time for mixing and matching or experimenting. So if he’s healthy, the top three lines very well could look something like:

Nyquist/Texier - Dubois - Atkinson/Bjorkstrand

Nyquist/Texier - Wennberg - Atkinson/Bjorkstrand

Foligno - Jenner - Anderson

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nyquist - Dubois - Atkinson
Foligno - Jenner - Bjorkstrand
Texier - Wennberg - Bemstrom
Gerbe - Shore - Nash

Extras: Robinson, Stenlund, Matteau, Lilja (probably in that order). If Anderson is healthy, my guess is he slides in at 3RW and bumps Bemstrom down and Shore out.

I won't get too much into lines until we know if Anderson is back, but I'll make a few points.

• Top line has to be Bjorkstrand over Atkinson. In addition to Bjorkstrand being more effective away from scoring, the chemistry isn't there for Dubois-Atkinson. I pointed this out a year ago that they did not score at all next to each other when Panarin wasn't on the ice. And again this year - they spent half the year together at 5 v 5 and Atkinson scored zero goals in that time. You heard that right, zero next to Dubois. Atkinson is best as a goal scoring checker, I'd put him next to Jenner. Remember his linemates the year he scored 35 goals? Jenner and Dubinsky.
  • Don't sleep on Shore staying in even with Anderson included. I'm not sure if the Jackets even re-sign Shore but he plays a heavy game and might be valuable in these playoffs. I'm remembering last year's playoffs and how much we wished we had a heavier player to replace the lightweight Dzingel.
  • Robinson figures into every lineup configuration, he's too good of a checker.
  • I wouldn't sleep on Foudy either, similar to how Texier stepped into the playoffs last year. I think Torts loves Foudy and he would be a terror opposite of Robinson.

Reactions: thebus88 and hn777

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I won't get too much into lines until we know if Anderson is back, but I'll make a few points.

• Top line has to be Bjorkstrand over Atkinson. In addition to Bjorkstrand being more effective away from scoring, the chemistry isn't there for Dubois-Atkinson. I pointed this out a year ago that they did not score at all next to each other when Panarin wasn't on the ice. And again this year - they spent half the year together at 5 v 5 and Atkinson scored zero goals in that time. You heard that right, zero next to Dubois. Atkinson is best as a goal scoring checker, I'd put him next to Jenner. Remember his linemates the year he scored 35 goals? Jenner and Dubinsky.
  • Don't sleep on Shore staying in even with Anderson included. I'm not sure if the Jackets even re-sign Shore but he plays a heavy game and might be valuable in these playoffs. I'm remembering last year's playoffs and how much we wished we had a heavier player to replace the lightweight Dzingel.
  • Robinson figures into every lineup configuration, he's too good of a checker.
  • I wouldn't sleep on Foudy either, similar to how Texier stepped into the playoffs last year. I think Torts loves Foudy and he would be a terror opposite of Robinson.

That’s fair. Flip Atkinson and Bjorkstrand then. You can put Foligno up there too if Moe is correct.

Something like:

Foligno - Dubois - Bjorkstrand
Nyquist - Jenner - Atkinson
Texier - Wennberg - XXXXX

Maybe Wennberg works better with Gus and so you flip Gus and Tex and go with an all-Swede third line with Bemstrom.

I wasn’t sleeping on Foudy... I just completely forgot about him. :laugh: I agree, I like the player a lot and think he could be useful. I could see it almost being like Texier-esque last year playoffs (/ play-in) where he’s almost too naive for his own good and doesn’t even grasp the magnitude of the situation (which is a good thing) and thrives playing against a skilled, not heavy team but then if we advance starts coming back down to earth/getting worn down against a team like Boston.

We can pretty much be sure those eight names I mentioned in the lines above will be in the lineup, so it’s basically 7 guys fighting for 4 spots: Bemstrom, Gerbe, Shore, Nash, Foudy, Robinson, Stenlund. I really don’t know how you choose.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
That’s fair. Flip Atkinson and Bjorkstrand then. You can put Foligno up there too if Moe is correct.

Something like:

Foligno - Dubois - Bjorkstrand
Nyquist - Jenner - Atkinson
Texier - Wennberg - XXXXX

Maybe Wennberg works better with Gus and so you flip Gus and Tex and go with an all-Swede third line with Bemstrom.

I wasn’t sleeping on Foudy... I just completely forgot about him. :laugh: I agree, I like the player a lot and think he could be useful. I could see it almost being like Texier-esque last year playoffs (/ play-in) where he’s almost too naive for his own good and doesn’t even grasp the magnitude of the situation (which is a good thing) and thrives playing against a skilled, not heavy team but then if we advance starts coming back down to earth/getting worn down against a team like Boston.

We can pretty much be sure those eight names I mentioned in the lines above will be in the lineup, so it’s basically 7 guys fighting for 4 spots: Bemstrom, Gerbe, Shore, Nash, Foudy, Robinson, Stenlund. I really don’t know how you choose.
You could just go in alphabetical order to choose. Any mix of those guys will give you about the same production.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Two thoughts:

Anderson playing is a 2% chance.

Giving it a 90% chance Foligno-Dubois-Bjorkstrand will start together in the series.

Damn now that you say it I have to think that Foligno on the top line is a really strong bet.

If the games start in July or August, with what we know now Anderson might be ready to play. Does "4-6 months" mean "4 months if you are rushing it, 6 if careful"? Or does it refer to meeting recovery milestones that we don't have public knowledge about?

Tiers for me:

Definitely in: Robinson, Bemstrom

Maybe rotate?: Nash, Shore, Foudy

Out: Gerbe, Stenlund.

Foligno-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Nyquist-Jenner-Atkinson
Texier-Wennberg-Bemstrom
Robinson-Shore-Nash

That third line though I could see Torts not using much. Texier-Wennberg-Robinson might garner more trust.

Reactions: thebus88

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
The league's been shut down for two and a half months. It'll be at least three by the time this starts.

I don't know if anyone can have any idea what's going to happen.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Agree it’s hard to know what could happen. It’s practically a new season.

A couple thoughts:
Mayor’s idea of Foudy opposite Robinson... could Wennberg center that line?
Foligno ended up at center during the playoffs last year. I know nobody here likes it but I wouldn’t sleep on that either.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agree it’s hard to know what could happen. It’s practically a new season.

A couple thoughts:
Mayor’s idea of Foudy opposite Robinson... could Wennberg center that line?
Foligno ended up at center during the playoffs last year. I know nobody here likes it but I wouldn’t sleep on that either.

It's Major, dammit! Mayor Bee is not in my weight class. :laugh: Okay he is definitely funnier.

Yes I could see Foudy-Wennberg-Robinson. Have Wennberg play defense and let the greyhounds off leash.

Foligno at center might work but if I remember correctly he was centering a line in the March before last year's playoffs. It would be a little more unexpected if that switch happened at the start of a series.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It's Major, dammit! Mayor Bee is not in my weight class. :laugh: Okay he is definitely funnier.

Yes I could see Foudy-Wennberg-Robinson. Have Wennberg play defense and let the greyhounds off leash.

Foligno at center might work but if I remember correctly he was centering a line in the March before last year's playoffs. It would be a little more unexpected if that switch happened at the start of a series.

Autocorrect. Apologies. I should have typed both.

Good points on both.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Foligno-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Nyquist-Texier-Atkinson
Wennberg-Jenner-Bemstrom
Foudy-Nash-Robinson
Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Murray-Peeke
Forward group looks pretty good but I wonder if Jenner and Nash get flip flopped in that case just because Torts has played Bemstrom and Nash together a bunch or even flip Bemstrom and Robinson. Lots of options and even when Torts sets lines we know they wont last :laugh:
As for defense though I cant see Peeke jumping Nuti and Kukan at all. I almost think it woud be Kukan-Nuti-Peeke on the depth chart. Shame Nuti hasnt been himself because he and Murray were a great pair

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This has been such a crazy season that I could see Shore lead this team to the Eastern conference finals becoming a Columbus sports legend, and then break our hearts by signing with the Wings in the offseason.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I would love to see this matchup. I'm not one to gloat or poke bears but I would be so all over the repugnant Leafs fans if Columbus could pull out a win against the amazing, high flying, elite filled talent Laufs. I know all fan bases have their idiots but when the dick Leaf fans get rolling they don't seem to understand there is more than Toronto in the world...

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
It’s going to be hard to predict how this will go with everyone being out of practice, having a mostly healthy lineup, and having a group of rookies with mostly a full season behind them now. Should be weird and fun.

Reactions: bukwas and thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Just saw on main thread a take I think on these playoffs which might be pretty accurate. Basically, the first round is going to be a bleep show and after the rust wears off, the play will start approaching normal. The poster suggest round 2 (the normal round 1 in a playoff field of 16) might be sketchy as well as the top seeds are still going to have their rust.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Not sure why Wennberg is being seen as a somewhat of a lock. He has been scratched in the past for legitimate reasons. The intensity is always higher in the playoffs, and after a possible game or 2 for all players to get up to "game speed", I could see it being even higher this year, as guys are rested and healthy more so than in the past.

I like what Nash and Robinson bring to the team, especially lower in the lineup. Robinson's impact is seen mainly in the speed/energy/effort level he brings, but he also has some decent offensive awareness/ability and a bit of a scoring touch. His speed alone makes him a threat. Both guys also bring an intensity that Wennberg just does not have, along with both guys having the ability to make a play or skate an entire shift that swings the momentum the CBJ's direction. Wennberg NEVER does this. Even before making the case that Nash (veteran all around hockey IQ/faceoff ability) and Robinson (speed/legit PK threat) could see PK time over Wennberg, we have more than enough guys to play PK, and even more guys to play PP that he shouldn't take time an opportunities from.

I also think it should be Kukan in over Nutivaara. If healthy, and both guys are playing up to their potential, Kukan seems like simply the better player and choice. Nutivaara may have a better shot (maybe) and possibly has the ability to slow the game down a bit more. Kukan's skating is MUCH better, and he fits better because of that, with Murray. Kukan is also better defensively, which I have mentioned in the past I consider important when it comes to defenseman.

Probably half what I want/half what I think will happen, as of all the things I like about Torts, his line combos/lineup decisions are probably some of the things I disagree with most...

Nyquist--Dubois--Bjorkstrand
Texier (Foligno)--Jenner--Atkinson
Bemstrom--Foligno (Texier)--Wennberg (gets a game or 2 from Torts)
Robinson--Nash--Gerbe

Werenski-Jones
Murray-Kukan
Gavrikov-Savard

KORPISALO

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad