News and Blog Report: Jack, Louie, and Geno are back

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
And it could always be worse.

Different sport, but Tom Brady doing color is almost unbearable. Think a male version of Cassie Campbell calling an NFL game.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Gene is great. He's just what you want from a 'host' -- likable, funny, a bit of a ham, players like him, polite, etc.

Jack is good and professional, just not to my taste. Although he calls the games very well, has an appropriate voice, and is perfectly prepared and knowledgable about everything, his "carnival barker" style of calling games leaves me cold. I also do not like the random (failed) jokes he attempts to insert into the broadcast... and he never lets them go, endlessly banging on about whatever 80s' pop-culture reference he's just brought up.

Louie seems good at first exposure, but the more I get accustomed to him, the worse he gets. Basically, he doesn't really say anything. The 'color' guy (well, they used to be) should have insight into the game and should be entertaining on some level. Jack & Louie invert the formula, as Jack tries to be a clown and Louie tries to be "mr. cool". It would help Louie a lot if he would (a) speak louder (he mumbles incoherently half the time) and (b) avoid his favorite cliches ("tickling the rafters", "goes to work", can-opener").

Anyway, they're better than the previous guys, so I'll take it for now. About 50% of the Oilers' games I watch on the road-teams' feeds anyway.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Gene is great. He's just what you want from a 'host' -- likable, funny, a bit of a ham, players like him, polite, etc.

Jack is good and professional, just not to my taste. Although he calls the games very well, has an appropriate voice, and is perfectly prepared and knowledgable about everything, his "carnival barker" style of calling games leaves me cold. I also do not like the random (failed) jokes he attempts to insert into the broadcast... and he never lets them go, endlessly banging on about whatever 80s' pop-culture reference he's just brought up.

Louie seems good at first exposure, but the more I get accustomed to him, the worse he gets. Basically, he doesn't really say anything. The 'color' guy (well, they used to be) should have insight into the game and should be entertaining on some level. Jack & Louie invert the formula, as Jack tries to be a clown and Louie tries to be "mr. cool". It would help Louie a lot if he would (a) speak louder (he mumbles incoherently half the time) and (b) avoid his favorite cliches ("ticking the rafters", "goes to work", can-opener").

Anyway, they're better than the previous guys, so I'll take it for now. About 50% of the Oilers' games I watch on the road-teams' feeds anyway.
Good rundown. Carnival Barker is apt. But to me its his random changes in volume, and suddenly, and as part of his shtick that is irritating. Its like the advertisements coming in louder than the broadcasts. I listen to games loud for surround sound and rink sounds. So the drastic increase in volume is sharp, and pronounced with volume up.

Louie is going to be harder to tolerate with his son now playing in division and getting those calls several times now vs the rare times we faced Boston.

Whats with the listing of Oilers games this year. Several are not showing SN as televising the game. Several only have TVAS which is apparently a french language broadcaster. Several games have no broadcaster listed. Is this just laziness to not list broadcaster for every game?

Indeed SN is broadcasting every game except for the HNIC games but why not just show that on the NHL oilers site schedule listings. Strange that one has to go to Snet own listings to see it:

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Just pisses me off that we have these guys all year and then they get replaced for the playoff games. I don't know of any other Canadian teams that lose their guy for playoffs.
Don’t they all kinda lose them?

I like the trio. Fans always hate whoever is there but for any flaws those three have I’ve seen a lot worse elsewhere or in our past. All three are passionate and not Kelly hrudey biased. Good enough for me

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Could do without Louie The Brusk tbh
Yup. Get ready for "I think they're going to review that one as well" about 500 times.:D

Jack has grown on me on TV...love his TV play by play despite his commentary going off the rails too often
Louie aggravates me to no end...but he's ok
Jack is definitely made for TV, not radio, and I agree about the commentary. Guess we'll have to live with Louie for at least another year. Maybe he can go to Vancouver next year and do Canuck games while his son is there.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I have really grown old of debrusk the last couple of years after initially liking him. Wonder if it will even be worse with Debrusk on the Canucks.
I like Debrusk when he first started but he has a limited range or vocabulary.

And it could always be worse.

Different sport, but Tom Brady doing color is almost unbearable. Think a male version of Cassie Campbell calling an NFL game.
At least he is only making $10m a year or something like that.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Don’t they all kinda lose them?

I like the trio. Fans always hate whoever is there but for any flaws those three have I’ve seen a lot worse elsewhere or in our past. All three are passionate and not Kelly hrudey biased. Good enough for me
Not really, not in the early rounds. Last couple years Flames kept their normal guys for 1st round, Cucks kept their normal guys, Leafs same same. Oil = get the truly remarkably terrible Singh after having Jack all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad