Confirmed with Link: Jack Johnson signs 1x775k

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

This is absolutely why he’s here. Remember he was a part of the change when he was acquired the first time.
Great pull quote:

Johnson will be asked to play a similar role — along with other Blue Jackets veterans — with defensemen David Jiricek and Denton Mateychuk, two former first-round draft picks who will come to training camp with a solid chance to make the roster.

“I’m coming to play and compete like I do every night,” Johnson said. “But it’s a different situation (than Colorado). There are a lot of young guys, and I’m going to try to be the best example and role model I can be. I’ve been around a lot of great leaders in my career.

“I’m going to try to apply all those things toward helping this group out, on and off the ice. That’s the meal room, the weight room, having young guys over for dinner … whatever I can do to help.”

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Hahah, I mean, hey, it’s 1 year, league minimum so cool. Welcome back Jack.

Feel like he has to be near the end of the line, wouldn’t shock me if this is the farewell tour, although I’d imagine he may milk it for as long as possible given the financial situation from earlier in his life/career. I think most players with his career earnings that have won a Cup at his age/current skill level/salary would probably hang ‘em up, but he might hold on as long as possible.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Good signing .. team is much bigger next year Gud 6’5 222, Jiricek 6’4 215, Werenski 6’2 220, Johnson 6’2 220, Severson 6’2 204, Provorov 6’1 220…. You move Boone 6ft 2 210 and Voronkov 6ft 4 230 to wing , add Monahan who’s 6’3 195… Oliver and Kuraly are 6’2 215-220… your now looking at a pretty stout team that can skate pretty well . Much more size on the wings , much bigger down the middle

Waddell said in numerous interviews , D should have been much better , with personnel here , and cleaning that up would be an easy fix … that’s when it became apparent Pascal was a goner …

Let’s see what happens with Laine … Impressed how quickly Waddell is reshaping this team . Much more veteran leadership , as far as draft, big guys that hit, fight , skate, and are ultra competitive …

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
G-ddamnit, I need Waddell to address the shutdown blueline need so I can get over this nonsense. I should be celebrating this. It's the return of a guy who came to save us in one of our darkest hours and just may do so again, and someone who deserves all the extra chances possible after what his parents did to him. I should be smiling over this, not freaking out. I need the brain poison purged.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
G-ddamnit, I need Waddell to address the shutdown blueline need so I can get over this nonsense. I should be celebrating this. It's the return of a guy who came to save us in one of our darkest hours and just may do so again, and someone who deserves all the extra chances possible after what his parents did to him. I should be smiling over this, not freaking out. I need the brain poison purged.
I firmly believe the subtraction of Bean and Boqvist already makes this blueline better.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I do think coaching (IE, a defensive system with an experienced hand) will really help our team defense. On paper, I really don't think the personnel is horrible. Werenski is borderline elite, Provorov and Severson are easily top 4 defensemen on most teams, and Jiricek has great potential. Gudbranson is also an NHL capable player, and JJ had a good year with Colorado in a sheltered role.

I don't expect to hear from Waddell until the coach is hired (and I dont expect another signing before then) but I am curious to know if this is how the roster will probably look on opener (aside from the potentially pending Laine deal and whatever that brings).

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I do think coaching (IE, a defensive system with an experienced hand) will really help our team defense. On paper, I really don't think the personnel is horrible. Werenski is borderline elite, Provorov and Severson are easily top 4 defensemen on most teams, and Jiricek has great potential. Gudbranson is also an NHL capable player, and JJ had a good year with Colorado in a sheltered role.

I don't expect to hear from Waddell until the coach is hired (and I dont expect another signing before then) but I am curious to know if this is how the roster will probably look on opener (aside from the potentially pending Laine deal and whatever that brings).
The roster makeup definitely is hinging on Laine, while we likely aren't making another PLD/Laine deal, I feel like we might get some lesser pieces similar to the Nash trade, but... probably won't be getting a Dubi and Anisimov back but I think we get at least a solid roster player back.

If we retain, someone will bite and give up something good if Waddell plays his cards right.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
We have to have the most overreactive fan base in the NHL.
This
Jarmo is still calling the shots it looks like
Followed by this.

giphy.gif

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Im not thrilled, but maybe this is okay if he is projected to be the 7th defenceman.

1. Werenski - Severson
2. Provorov - Jiricek
3. X - Gudbranson
+ Johnson

We need one more D, Don! And a better one than JJ..
Werenski, Severson (hope, Damon will be traded for a real d-man)
Provorov, Gudbranson
xxx, Jiříček (let him show his qualities if he wants to play higher, first)
Johnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad