Jack Campbell vs Thatcher Demko

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Campbell vs Demko

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
We already went over gaa, sv% where 5 on 5 Demkos is second best in league. (1000 minutes played).
You just need to click on the link and you can sort, by 20 different categories. I highlighted GAA, Save %, and HDSV%

So no you didn’t show 5 superior cases.
When you have to rip apart statistics that you cherry picked to suit your argument, it’s probably not as clear cut as you’re trying to make it out to be.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Pretty close statistically now with Campbell playing behind a very good Leaf team while Demko continues to play well behind a pretty bad D.
Demko’s 5 vs 5 numbers are elite with a .939 save percentage and 1.83 gaa. Playing for the worst PKing team in the league has definitely hurt.
I honestly don’t think there’s a GM in the league who would take Campbell over Demko even just for this year. That’s no slight on Campbell who is a very good goalie in his own right.
Shouldn’t your goalie be your team’s best penalty killer. It not like Toronto has a bunch of rugged penalty killing d-men.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
When you have to rip apart statistics that you cherry picked to suit your argument, it’s probably not as clear cut as you’re trying to make it out to be.
Lol, 5 on 5 for goalies is a great stat to use. Removes all the special teams, since some teams might get more PP or PK.
Leafs are the founders of 5 on 5 , and pace stats.

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
How in the blue hell could anybody be voting for Demko?

There is a legitimate argument that Jack Campbell is the favorite for the Vezina yet he's losing this poll.

This is pretty embarrassing. This years vezina winner Jack Campbell, vs the 16th best goalie so far this year. Cringe.

I'm FAR from a Dubas ass kisser, there are many MANY justifiable things to be critical of him for but that poll was ridiculous and this reminds me of that.

Campbell is arguably the Vezina favorite he's clearly better

He must have been overachieving his entire NHL career than, with his avg .922% over 100+ games vs Demko less 100 game and sitting at an avg of 913%. Funny the logic never flows the otherway. And remember Campbell spent 2 years on a last place LA team, playing half his career games there.

Yeah. A LOWER level. Campbell should win this one easily, but facts seem to be clouding some people's ability to properly judge.

Over the last 3 games he's played, Demko has given up 13 goals on 74 shots. He's now 15-13-1 with a 2.65GAA and a .915 save%. Campbell on the other hand, is 18-5-3 with a 2.02GAA and a .935%.

LMAO @ the ones who voted for Demko.

In REAL life, Campbell should win this one in a landslide. HF is such a joke. :)

Compiled some banger quotes from this thread. They did not age well

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Demko's Save% is still worse than Campbells after Jack having a bad stretch of 6 games....lol
Happens when Demko plays on a 20th placed team and Campbell plays on the 7th placed team. I would bet anything that if Demko was on a top team, he'd be a lock for Vezina contention easily

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Compiled some banger quotes from this thread. They did not age well

Mine aged VERY well. Campbell was, and still is, the much better Goalie of the two. He has more wins, WAY fewer losses, a better GAA and a better save %. Campbell is better in every way/shape/form. And don't try to trot out the "but the Leafs are a way better defensive team" crap either. You've all told us for a long time how bad the Leaf's defence is. NO CHANGE-BACKS. :)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Mine aged VERY well. Campbell was, and still is, the much better Goalie of the two. He has more wins, WAY fewer losses, a better GAA and a better save %. Campbell is better in every way/shape/form. And don't try to trot out the "but the Leafs are a way better defensive team" crap either. You've all told us for a long time how bad the Leaf's defence is. :)
He’s better if all special teams included, Campbell is worse on gaa and save % for 5 on 5.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Shouldn’t your goalie be your team’s best penalty killer. It not like Toronto has a bunch of rugged penalty killing d-men.

He is. The problem with the stats is they're not always going to fully account for truly terrible play in front of you, and just as individual players can have runs of unsustainable shooting, so can multiple players against a specific goalie. You can do everything right as a goalie and still get scored on. But over larger samples this will balance out, and we're starting to see that happen. Demko wasn't amazing on the PK early, but anyone who watched the early season PK would tell you that he wasn't poor.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
maybe so, but that doesn't make it look any less stupid to gloat about Campbell's sv% falling to earth but still being ahead of Demko's. I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove to Leafs fans

I think it's the fact that it was clear that Campbell was riding unsustainable percentages and it was obvious that eventually his numbers would take a bit of a tumble, and Demko's would get better after an unsustainably poor PK, but some people weren't willing to look at it objectively and dismissing anything but the numbers at the time. Both sides had their share of stupid AINEC comments, but obviously some people are going to go at the ones they disagreed with more.

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Mine aged VERY well. Campbell was, and still is, the much better Goalie of the two. He has more wins, WAY fewer losses, a better GAA and a better save %. Campbell is better in every way/shape/form. And don't try to trot out the "but the Leafs are a way better defensive team" crap either. You've all told us for a long time how bad the Leaf's defence is. NO CHANGE-BACKS. :)
LMAO

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Post them then. Earlier in the year Campbell was comfortably ahead in stuff like GSAx and the like. I still see him ahead today on the Moneypuck goals saved above expected total and per 60. I know these sort of metrics can vary by site though.

It's true, every site is a bit different. Moneypuck has Campbell a bit ahead. Evolving-hockey has Demko ahead.

Screenshot 2022-02-02 12.41.23 PM.png

There's also the question of how much stock we want to put into certain situations where there's high variance. For instance, on moneypuck, Campbell's advantage in terms of GSAx is solely due to his numbers in "other" situations, so 3v3, 4v4, empty net, etc, and where both goalies have spent fewer than 50 minutes.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
*clown emoji*

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Happens when Demko plays on a 20th placed team and Campbell plays on the 7th placed team. I would bet anything that if Demko was on a top team, he'd be a lock for Vezina contention easily
That's why you have advance stats, which don't agree with you.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Another stinker game from campbell, looks average at best out there. In contrast, markstrom facing almost 50 shots and showing how elite he really is.

Expecting more of this from campbell

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Another stinker game from campbell, looks average at best out there. In contrast, markstrom facing almost 50 shots and showing how elite he really is.

Yeah, Campbell’s been pretty shit lately.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

Meh. Can't win 'em all. Campbell's still better than both Demko & Markstrom.

Since he came to the "can't play defence" Leafs(that's what y'all have told us for years now....), he's owned a 41-12-6 record with a 3 year average of 2.39 GAA and a .919 save %.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As expected, Campbell’s numbers have come down. He’s a great bargain at his salary but I think there’s still big question marks as to whether he’s a legitimate starter who can play a heavy workload and keep up a high level of play.
Ideally he’s a 1B guy.
Demko is one of the top 10 starters already in the NHL in my opinion and has elite playoff numbers already but in a small sample size.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Post of the thread!:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad