Jack Campbell enters player assistance program

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Dang, hopefully Jack can get better and overcome his issues

I may be misremembering, but I thinj he had past substance/alcohol issues in Dallas which hurt him and caused his NHL debut and play to be pushed back a few years.

Reactions: fahad203

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Sure, there are some pretty sweet benefits to getting a big contract, but having your inadequacies mocked every time your name comes up in the media can't be easy.

Could be unrelated too, but that sure would get to me. I wish him the best.
I think people tend not to think of players as human, or think that getting paid millions shields you from everything.
I don't know why Campbell is in the PAP, but the stress of underperforming and seeing the criticism would certainly put many of us there.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I love Campbell. He was a personal favorite of mine while he was with Toronto.

Get what you need, Jack! Hope to see you in the NHL again soon!
I think and hope that after not completing two consecutive contracts his nhl days are over

He’s better off away from the game

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I think people tend not to think of players as human, or think that getting paid millions shields you from everything.
I don't know why Campbell is in the PAP, but the stress of underperforming and seeing the criticism would certainly put many of us there.
Many of us are not making $5 million a year …

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I’m just curious, if he had 3 yrs left at 5 mil per and he got bought out, how much money does he receive?

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
I'm sorry, but you guys need to shut up with the fanbase verse fanbase nonsense in this thread.

Agreed. Anyone with comments in before this line right here has amnesty (although the comments are going to be deleted).

Be nice, folks. This isn't the thread for it. (And you can consider that an official warning.)

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Whenever Players Assistant Program comes up, everyone starts speculating.

That's human nature.

I'm not going to speculate. I'm just going to drop this article here and hope someone reads it because people go on about caring about mental health, but it doesn't feel like that goes beyond a day dedicated to recognizing it.

Some people have to battle it on a daily basis, and sometimes they break down but always get back up because they have grown such a thick skin from it.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Can someone tell me a player who entered the PAP and actually have a long productive career after? Cause I feel like every player I think of that was the beginning of the end, bobby ryan, carey price, Kuznetsov…

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

That's human nature.

I'm not going to speculate. I'm just going to drop this article here and hope someone reads it because people go on about caring about mental health, but it doesn't feel like that goes beyond a day dedicated to recognizing it.

Some people have to battle it on a daily basis, and sometimes they break down but always get back up because they have grown such a thick skin from it.

Thanks for sharing this article again.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Can someone tell me a player who entered the PAP and actually have a long productive career after? Cause I feel like every player I think of that was the beginning of the end, bobby ryan, carey price, Kuznetsov…
I think it would be hard to have a successful career in pro hockey when you have the type of issues that the PA Porgram is supposed to be there to help with. I hope the program is designed to help the guys get passed whatever issue they are facing on a personal level, without considering hockey at all. Coming back from depressions/addiction/etc to become a high caliber athlete would be pretty much impossible.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024

That's human nature.

"...when my brain started lying to me."

That's the best and simplest way to explain it, and I'd imagine it's still nearly impossible to comprehend if you haven't experienced it.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad