Value of: J.Toews @2.625 in the offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Forget how he gets to that cap hit for a moment. What would your team pony up for for Toews for 1yr at a very reasonable cap hit?
Forget how you get the cap hit?

Hawks retain 50% and magical 3rd team retains 50%

What incentive are you giving to the 3rd team and who is giving it up?

Only seen the Hawks play a few times on line and JT has lost something

Reactions: Shark Finn

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Value is a 3rd to CHI for eating half, and a 4th to the other team for eating 1/4.

I don't know what team would want to give up a 3rd + a 4th to get Toews, never mind if Toews would even want to go to that particular team. You would have to REALLY value his leadership/mentoring capacity, which suggests a weaker team and why would JT want to go to a weaker team?

If I were him, I'd just stay in CHI and either try to prove he has gas left in the tank for a 1 year deal to a good team for the following season, or play out his contract and retire.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
At this cap hit, I'd take him on the Habs.

Suzuki
Toews
Dvorak
Evans/Poehling

isn't bad at all!

What's the cost?

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
It would depend on a few factors for the Flames.

Can the Flames:
1) Sign their star players to reasonable deals this summer, basically are they still in 'win' mode?
2) Move out some under-preforming large salaries. Monahan gets more abuse than he deserves but at this point he doesn't fit on the 4th line with his salary. Love me some Lucic but again at his cap hit it would be best to somehow get him off the books.
3) With the above 2 things in mind can they keep their depth? It's one thing to be in 'win' mode, it's another to be a serious threat.

If yes then I'd take Toews for sure. Value wise probably a 2nd and a 4th or a 2nd and a reasonable prospect.
Would Toews waive for Calgary? who knows.
Is Chicago even interested in moving him? who knows.

Centre depth of Lindholm - Backlund - Toews - Jarkrok/Ruzicka while not necessarily being the flashiest offensively would be pretty elite 2 way.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Moral of the story, Toews is a commodity teams are interested in unless it's for a 3 or 4 rounder and not in a championship team. See what happens when you media hype or over value your own player #chicago

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Moral of the story, Toews is a commodity teams are interested in unless it's for a 3 or 4 rounder and not in a championship team. See what happens when you media hype or over value your own player #chicago
Moral of the story usually when you are a captain of a team that won 3 cups the media hype happens and the value is there. But he ain’t that player anymore.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
This would seem like a next trade deadline type of deal. Can’t imagine a team wants to use a retention spot on him just for a mid round pick in the offseason.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
At this cap hit, I'd take him on the Habs.

Suzuki
Toews
Dvorak
Evans/Poehling

isn't bad at all!

What's the cost?

Unless the cost is nothing I don’t see why a bad team is taking in a mediocre old player with one year left

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
At that cap, I could see WPG doing something, just because Chevy has history with Toews.
Would assume he wouldn’t give up a lot though… definitely not a 1st or A level prospect

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
He has a full NMC so he'll decide his destination. The return probably won't be much.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
At that cap, I could see WPG doing something, just because Chevy has history with Toews.
Would assume he wouldn’t give up a lot though… definitely not a 1st or A level prospect
What's market rate for a solid 3C? Personally I think he's moveable at 50%. 5.25M is pricey for a 3C, but I think he could return a 2nd or 3rd at that price, it's only one year.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Value is a 3rd to CHI for eating half, and a 4th to the other team for eating 1/4.

I don't know what team would want to give up a 3rd + a 4th to get Toews, never mind if Toews would even want to go to that particular team. You would have to REALLY value his leadership/mentoring capacity, which suggests a weaker team and why would JT want to go to a weaker team?

If I were him, I'd just stay in CHI and either try to prove he has gas left in the tank for a 1 year deal to a good team for the following season, or play out his contract and retire.

Should be more like a 3rd to the other team for paying $725k real dollars.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
What's market rate for a solid 3C? Personally I think he's moveable at 50%. 5.25M is pricey for a 3C, but I think he could return a 2nd or 3rd at that price, it's only one year.
Toews isn’t a run of the mill player though… he’s a unique situation
For fans, his value is reduced due to the Kyle Beach situation, but that doesn’t appear to affect GMs… unless owners make it.
I definitely wouldn’t touch him at 5.25m, WPG has cap issues that need to be taken into account, so if it’s anything over the 2.625m double retention, I’m out. I’d probably trade Vesalainen for him… Chicago gets a 22yr old, former 1st round pick LW, who isn’t quite living up to his potential in WPG and could benefit from a change of scenery. Don’t know if I’d go any higher than that, but not likely, unless there were adds on both sides.
As I said, his baggage affects fans, which could affect ticket and merch sales, and could affect the locker room… so there would be a lot of talking with the team and owners before anything was finalized.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
For fans, his value is reduced due to the Kyle Beach situation, but that doesn’t appear to affect GMs… unless owners make it.
I definitely wouldn’t touch him at 5.25m, WPG has cap issues that need to be taken into account, so if it’s anything over the 2.625m double retention, I’m out. I’d probably trade Vesalainen for him… Chicago gets a 22yr old, former 1st round pick LW, who isn’t quite living up to his potential in WPG and could benefit from a change of scenery. Don’t know if I’d go any higher than that, but not likely, unless there were adds on both sides.
As I said, his baggage affects fans, which could affect ticket and merch sales, and could affect the locker room… so there would be a lot of talking with the team and owners before anything was finalized.
I'd probably do that.

Reactions: BatVader

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I bet he rides the next season out with thenHawks then chooses his path. Why wouldn’t he? But with his recent comments he might be looking for a landing spot on a playoff type team. Either way the return would not be much with retain even. 3rd maybe? He has been pretty underwhelming this season and maybe isn’t fully accepting Father Time.

Ledge And Dairy

It would depend on a few factors for the Flames.

Can the Flames:
1) Sign their star players to reasonable deals this summer, basically are they still in 'win' mode?
2) Move out some under-preforming large salaries. Monahan gets more abuse than he deserves but at this point he doesn't fit on the 4th line with his salary. Love me some Lucic but again at his cap hit it would be best to somehow get him off the books.
3) With the above 2 things in mind can they keep their depth? It's one thing to be in 'win' mode, it's another to be a serious threat.

If yes then I'd take Toews for sure. Value wise probably a 2nd and a 4th or a 2nd and a reasonable prospect.
Would Toews waive for Calgary? who knows.
Is Chicago even interested in moving him? who knows.

Centre depth of Lindholm - Backlund - Toews - Jarkrok/Ruzicka while not necessarily being the flashiest offensively would be pretty elite 2 way.
Toews would probably center Mange and Toffoli. While Backs centers Pelletier and Coleman. I think this would be a very nice addition if relatively cheap

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

That’s deadline….not full season big f***ing difference on salary retained by other team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad