Proposal: Järnkrok to Calgary

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think that the poster meant that if you buy out Monahan the penalty is being spread out over 2 seasons.

Also, that 1st round pick that the Leafs gave the Hurricanes was a 13OA, Seth Jarvis… that’s significant.

@Fig too
Not really apples & apples with the Marleau deal. 35+ contract that was largely buyout proof. It held cap regardless of buyout; pretty sure Carolina was on the hook for all 6.some million on his buyout.

Monahans buyout is 4.35 over two years, that’s more than manageable, zero chance we add a first just to dump him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Figgy44

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Monahan isn't going anywhere this season. If he does go it will be in the off season.

Sure he isn't scoring, but his S% is at an all time low (7.8%). He is winning 52.8% of his face-offs, a positive Takeaway/Giveaway ratio, a CF% of 53.1 and has 54 hits in 59 games.

He is playing a role and for the most part is doing it well.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Monahan isn't going anywhere this season. If he does go it will be in the off season.

Sure he isn't scoring, but his S% is at an all time low (7.8%). He is winning 52.8% of his face-offs, a positive Takeaway/Giveaway ratio, a CF% of 53.1 and has 54 hits in 59 games.

Sean Monahan since the acquisition of Tyler Toffoli:

14 games
1 goal, 2 assists, -3, 8 PIM 18 shots, 2 points ES.
CF%: 52.7% (-4.18 Rel)
GF%: 36% (-22.73 Rel)
xGF%: 45% (-11.63 Rel)

Sean Monahan is literally the worst centre we have on this team. More so, with his removal from PP1 there's a chance he doesn't hit 30 points this year.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
They could likely deal jarnkrok alone for a 2nd
That seems like a more logical move from the Kraken's POV. Monahan could be moved in a side-deal (with or without retention) but I am not sure how many teams would like to take a chance on him bouncing back. Most may just consider him as negative value at this time, though at 3.2M some team may be ok with the risk though I still am not sure how many would be ok taking on 3.2M x 2 for free. He has been trending negatively for 3 seasons now and does not appear to be a one-off.

1647447001604.png

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

What important role is he playing?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well considering we got a 2nd for Marc Staal one year at 5+ cap hit I'd want the same . If Stevie thinks there's actually something still there at least a 3rd
If I am the Flames, I would part with a 2nd or 3rd

6.5M goes a long way in resigning Johnny and Tkachuk

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
That seems like a more logical move from the Kraken's POV. Monahan could be moved in a side-deal (with or without retention) but I am not sure how many teams would like to take a chance on him bouncing back. Most may just consider him as negative value at this time, though at 3.2M some team may be ok with the risk though I still am not sure how many would be ok taking on 3.2M x 2 for free. He has been trending negatively for 3 seasons now and does not appear to be a one-off.

I think you underestimate the stupidity of GM's around the league. Multiple teams were interested in Rasmus Ristolainen (5.4M caphit) at the cost of a 1st round pick + last offseason despite coming of an 18 point season and having some of the worst analytics/metrics in the NHL. Like Monahan he had also been trending down over a multiple year period. Monahan's metrics actually paint a much better picture than his counting stats do, so I definitely think he would be moveable especially with a small amount of retention. He's a good bounce back candidate who has a history of being a productive top six center and is only 27 years old.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think you underestimate the stupidity of GM's around the league. Multiple teams were interested in Rasmus Ristolainen (5.4M caphit) at the cost of a 1st round pick + last offseason despite coming of an 18 point season and having some of the worst analytics/metrics in the NHL. Like Monahan he had also been trending down over a multiple year period. Monahan's metrics actually paint a much better picture than his counting stats do, so I definitely think he would be moveable especially with a small amount of retention. He's a good bounce back candidate who has a history of being a productive top six center and is only 27 years old.
Very true.

No idea how GM's think about him. There is always someone who may be ok taking a chance on him. I am not sold on him bouncing back. Maybe they can move him in the off-season as more of a 'change of scenery' trade for another player in a similar situation.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Very true.

No idea how GM's think about him. There is always someone who may be ok taking a chance on him. I am not sold on him bouncing back. Maybe they can move him in the off-season as more of a 'change of scenery' trade for another player in a similar situation.
No we do not want another player like him

We buy him out worst case if we need the cap space

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

View attachment 516531

He only has a year after this one left on the contract.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
When you have a bottom-3 team in the league, you do not bet on a struggling player to turn it around. Thats not being pessimistic in my opinion, just pragmatic. I want to take guaranteed picks/prospects. Not gamble on buying more lottery tickets because I am poor..

I don't know about that. I think it can easily go both ways. Sometimes a bad team is exactly what a player like Monahan needs to start to turn around their own individual game (or at least scoring level). I'd argue part of Monahan's problems/decline in Calgary started spiraling from having to fight for prime icetime, linemates, opportunities. Seems to have just completely wrecked his confidence at this point, under all of the pressure there.

I could absolutely see him at least putting up decent points again, if he were to end up as the pretty much presumptive #1C for a team like Seattle with basically zero expectations or real pressure.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't know about that. I think it can easily go both ways. Sometimes a bad team is exactly what a player like Monahan needs to start to turn around their own individual game (or at least scoring level). I'd argue part of Monahan's problems/decline in Calgary started spiraling from having to fight for prime icetime, linemates, opportunities. Seems to have just completely wrecked his confidence at this point, under all of the pressure there.

I could absolutely see him at least putting up decent points again, if he were to end up as the pretty much presumptive #1C for a team like Seattle with basically zero expectations or real pressure.
Maybe. But to me its not worth the gamble. The Kraken does not need more 'project' players. We have enough of those already.

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad