Proposal: Ivan Fedotov & 2nd for Spencer Knight (Phi & Fla)

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
I'm not sure Zito is ready to give up on Knight this season. While adding picks would be nice, I rather hold onto some hope that our 23YO goalie can find his groove again over a 2nd round pick.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not sure if this works but the Panthers can choose between the Flyers own 2nd or Anaheim's 2nd. If this is far off what would it take for Philly to add Spencer Knight?

So a 27 year old fringe goalie and a 2nd for a 23 year old goalie has had some personal issues but most expect him to take over for Bobrovsky in 2 years time. Some people believe (and I am one of them) that Knight, if he gets his head on right, will be the splitting netminding duties sooner than later full time with Bobrovsky, Knight is the future number 1 goalie with the Panthers and he has better credentials that Fedotov has. IF the panthers do want to move on from Knight? They will get more

Reactions: Laus723

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
So a 27 year old fringe goalie and a 2nd for a 23 year old goalie has had some personal issues but most expect him to take over for Bobrovsky in 2 years time. Some people believe (and I am one of them) that Knight, if he gets his head on right, will be the splitting netminding duties sooner than later full time with Bobrovsky, Knight is the future number 1 goalie with the Panthers and he has better credentials that Fedotov has. IF the panthers do want to move on from Knight? They will get more
Its great what you believe but the reality is that he is a player with major personal issues to the point he had to pause his career to seek help while playing worse every year and he carries a 4.5 million cap hit for this year and next.

Seriously he isn't a guy any team can count on at the moment. His value to you and others is name only and not what he has done on the ice.

He is closer to being out of the league before he is a NHL starter. A competing GM isn't trading for this guy and a rebuilding GM isn't giving more than a 2nd.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
To believe this is fair value would be premised on the assumption that Knight is a distressed asset. While that is somewhat understandable at a cursory glance, I think there’s little reason to believe Florida sees it that way. He’s still young for a goalie and still fits the ideal timeline to replace Bob and extend the window with big upside.

I’m also not sure Philly needs to expending draft capital to move up the goalie timetable. Between Ersson, Fedotov and Kolosov at the pro level and Bjarnason and Zavragin further down the pipeline, the Flyers seem pretty flush with options. Each alone may represent a lottery ticket, but combined that’s a pretty stacked goalie system and there’s at least a decent chance your gonna get one or both of a reasonable stopgap and long-term solution out of that group.

Reactions: antman12

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Fedotov showed nothing in his career that would suggest he is an NHL goalie and he carries that ridiculous price tag now. There is no chance on Earth that a competitive team will take him on. You probably have to give up close to a first-rounder just to get rid of that contract without retention.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Seems like an L for Florida, even though both guys are untradeable at the moment. The Fedotov contract looks like a necessary promise to get him to come over, and he's shown so little in his NHL minutes that's there's no way Florida does this. If they were serious about giving up on Knight they'd move him for stability in net not another, bigger question mark.

antman12

Nov 27, 2016
Easy no for Philly.

Philly is in no position to be giving up valuable draft picks. Especially for a position they have a few promising guys in the pipeline and one starting in the NHL.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
If the panthers move on from knight which I doubt they do, no way they take a backup with a big contract.

If anyone goes out, it’s to clear up cap space. Florida doesn’t want picks, they’re in win now mode

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Its great what you believe but the reality is that he is a player with major personal issues to the point he had to pause his career to seek help while playing worse every year and he carries a 4.5 million cap hit for this year and next.

Seriously he isn't a guy any team can count on at the moment. His value to you and others is name only and not what he has done on the ice.

He is closer to being out of the league before he is a NHL starter. A competing GM isn't trading for this guy and a rebuilding GM isn't giving more than a 2nd.

AT THE MOMENT is the key phrase and a 2nd and the Fin/Russian goalie? come on. you gamble on a the guy show has shown signs of being a solid number 1 over a 4 years older and shown very little

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Too much from Philly. That pick is too valuable right now. Also don't think FLA wants that much cap tied up in the goalie position.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
AT THE MOMENT is the key phrase and a 2nd and the Fin/Russian goalie? come on. you gamble on a the guy show has shown signs of being a solid number 1 over a 4 years older and shown very little
Yea. At this moment, last year amd the year before that. The guy has not shown signs of being an NHL goalie and especially one making 4.5 mill in years. You don't gamble a lot on a goalie who is making 4.5 mill has personal issues and is struggling to hack it on one of the best teams in the NHL. Any high stress situation could trigger his previous problem and bounce him out of the game forever.

Every good NHL goalie tells you how much of a tough mental game it is to compete so the last thing you want is for someone to have mental issues. I read he struggles with OCD bad. If its that bad that could absolutely end his NHL career.

This isn't the guy from 3 or 4 years ago who could of returned a ton. This guy needs to bounce back to have any kind of chance of getting a good return. As of now he is probably a cap dump and may actually cost something to move.

Anyone who has been around anyone with OCD knows it could get bad. For a player to take a year off due to it says a lot. I am rooting for the guy but to overcome that struggle and be a full time NHL starter seems like a monumental mountain to climb. The only way he gets any kind of return is if he puts some good starts together. 0 for 1 so far.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Yea. At this moment, last year amd the year before that. The guy has not shown signs of being an NHL goalie and especially one making 4.5 mill in years. You don't gamble a lot on a goalie who is making 4.5 mill has personal issues and is struggling to hack it on one of the best teams in the NHL. Any high stress situation could trigger his previous problem and bounce him out of the game forever.

Every good NHL goalie tells you how much of a tough mental game it is to compete so the last thing you want is for someone to have mental issues. I read he struggles with OCD bad. If its that bad that could absolutely end his NHL career.

This isn't the guy from 3 or 4 years ago who could of returned a ton. This guy needs to bounce back to have any kind of chance of getting a good return. As of now he is probably a cap dump and may actually cost something to move.

Anyone who has been around anyone with OCD knows it could get bad. For a player to take a year off due to it says a lot. I am rooting for the guy but to overcome that struggle and be a full time NHL starter seems like a monumental mountain to climb. The only way he gets any kind of return is if he puts some good starts together. 0 for 1 so far.
He didn't take a year off and had a hell of a start before he realized he needed help. He played in the A last year and did just fine. Zito and the staff believes enough in him that he's currently backing up Bob instead of being sent down. He may never reach his potential, which is true for most guys, but I'm more than happy to trust management when it comes to him. Both he and Knight have earned that. Kid's done everything they've asked him to do.

No thanks to the trade. Appreciate the value effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad