Prospect Info: Its all about Mitch Marner now thread !

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't know why anyone would put much stock into the ratings. They certainly don't have the qualifications to be taken seriously.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't know why anyone would put much stock into the ratings. They certainly don't have the qualifications to be taken seriously.

Indeed.

Thing is that they could be such a useful reference for a shallow glimpse of prospect depth and potential. But considering how widely varied the usage of these values are, they cause more confusion than they inform.

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
Mcdavid - 10.0 B
Eichel - 9.5 C
Strome - 8.5 C
Marner - 8.5 B
Hanafin - 8.5 B

Also think provorov as an NHL ready D should atleast be 8.0 B.

All personal oppinion though

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
HF needs to change their ranking system. It's obviously **** and flawed in many ways.

I liked the idea of having a value (0-10, including decimals) for Floor, Absolute, and Ceiling. Get rid of the letters because I honestly, I have never understood them.

So Marner would have a (7.0, 8.5, 9.0), Hanifin would have (7.5, 8.3, 9.0), and Strome would have (6.5, 8.5, 9.0), etc. Would be so much better when you're comparing other prospect.

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
HF needs to change their ranking system. It's obviously **** and flawed in many ways.

I liked the idea of having a value (0-10, including decimals) for Floor, Absolute, and Ceiling. Get rid of the letters because I honestly, I have never understood them.

So Marner would have a (7.0, 8.5, 9.0), Hanifin would have (7.5, 8.3, 9.0), and Strome would have (6.5, 8.5, 9.0), etc. Would be so much better when you're comparing other prospect.

You're hired:popcorn:

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

A D rating means that they believe marner is unlikely to reach potential. C(which is usually used) means they may reach potential or kind of a 50/50 thing.

I have no idea why Marner received a D, the only knock on the kid is weight, why else isn't he likely to reach potential?

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario

I could get behind this rating system.. I think the only issue is it becomes very arbitrary when you start getting into single digit decimals (8.3, 9.1, etc.)

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
9.0 C is where I'd peg Marner, but 8.5 C isnt bad either, but 8.5 D? as in he might be a third liner? no.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Wasn't Nylander like a 7.5 C last year? And now, he's still only a 8.0C. :laugh:

Leafs prospects always get horrible rating, but the Marner rating is just disgusting.

xeroy

Mar 31, 2015
Brampton

That's good, take the average of those 3 numbers and that will be the prospect score.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
8.5D is about right for Marner. Being very slight and having injury issues are major question marks surrounding Marner.

Would of given McDavid 9.5B, Eichel 9.0B, Strome 8.0C, and Hanifin 8.5C as well.

HF did a pretty soild job.

Wasn't Nylander like a 7.5 C last year? And now, he's still only a 8.0C.

Leafs prospects always get horrible rating, but the Marner rating is just disgusting.

What a homer. :laugh:

From HF's player rankings.

8. First-Line Forward/ No. 2 Defenseman / No. 1 Goaltender – players with definite skill that might be just a cut below elite status, but still possessing All-Star potential.

I'd say that fits Nylander pretty well.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner has been injured - so have most players at some point in their careers. I wouldn't call that having an 'issue '.

8.5 is low given his high potential. Whether he makes it to there is another matter.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
8.5D is about right for Marner. Being very slight and having injury issues are major question marks surrounding Marner.

Would of given McDavid 9.5B, Eichel 9.0B, Strome 8.0C, and Hanifin 8.5C as well.

8. First-Line Forward/ No. 2 Defenseman / No. 1 Goaltender – players with definite skill that might be just a cut below elite status, but still possessing All-Star potential.

As a standalone rating it's fine. Relative to other lesser prospects, it's awful.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
A D rating means that they believe marner is unlikely to reach potential. C(which is usually used) means they may reach potential or kind of a 50/50 thing.

I have no idea why Marner received a D, the only knock on the kid is weight, why else isn't he likely to reach potential?

So correct me if I'm wrong.

8.5 means he has the talent to be an above average first liner, all-star calibre type of player.

Him getting a "D" means that he's more likely not to be a first liner and could potentially become a fourth liner per this line? ( D – Unlikely to reach potential, could drop 3 ratings – a player who has a chance to reach his potential but is unlikely to do so. )

It seems to me that they think he could pan out as a fourth liner, which is highly unlikely. It's why I think the system is so flawed, and they need to change it so it won't misguide the casual readers.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

Must have killed Tavares' reputation before he got drafted.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
If Marner isnt quite carrying our team by age 21 i think people are gonna start to bash him...This is a kid that i think is going to be absolutely incredible when hes in his mid 20s.

Reactions: Yall are crazy

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Why does HF even use a 10 point rating system? I have never seen a player below 5....i guess since they use half points, it technically is a 10 point system, but they should start better utilizing the lower numbers and take full effect of the 20 points available to them.

They don't rank players until they are drafted, so its not like they are saving the 1's and 2's for 4th line junior scrubs. Max Everson is currently rated as a 5. How bad would an NHL prospect have to be to get rated a 3?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wasn't Nylander like a 7.5 C last year? And now, he's still only a 8.0C. :laugh:

Prospect ratings are always influenced by their organizations. Just look at the Detroit Red Wings. The way Mantha, Larkin, Brendan Smith, Jakub Kindl, Ouellett, Sproul and others have been written about, you'd think they've assembled the 1950s and 1970s Canadiens onto one dream team.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't give a damn about rankings. Marner is going to be a star. Those who can't see it now will wonder how they missed such an obvious projection.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't give a damn about rankings. Marner is going to be a star. Those who can't see it now will wonder how they missed such an obvious projection.

I don't give a damn about rankings. Even if he busts, it won't be because he was only rated 8.5D on HockeysFuture.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

:laugh: The biggest Marner hater on the Leafs board likes the ranking... Color me shocked.

And injury issues? Seriously?? Did you pull a muscle reaching for that one?

Did you even watch Nylander this year?? His ceiling is certainly higher than that. And I mean seriously look at some other players who have 8.0C, Nylander is leaps and bounds better than most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad