Post-Game Talk: It’s a Christmas miracle!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The LAK game will be one of those that is worth 2 points in the standings and 100 points for confidence.
LA haven't been exceptional lately and game is in LA where the Kings have been .500 all season. I expect the Oilers to take this one.

Interesting thing in LA is that it isn't PLD thats causing some concern. Fiala is playing like junk and only concerned with producing. He's giving pucks away like crazy and was benched recently for it. Kempe looking off this season mostly. Did get a couple weak garbage goals against the weak ass sharks but has been snakebit. Kopitar starting to show age.

Fiala is guaranteed to cough up pucks. Just pressure him and he'll make the most ridiculous plays that coaches hate. The guy has so much skill but lacks a sensible play neuron.

But Fiala has been this his whole career. A high event player either way when he's on ice. He's just not responsible with puck and LA, top defensive team even seem unable to change him.

The Kings are actually trying to give Fiala responsible Centers like Danault and he still finds a way to sink himself. He's the only topsix player in LA that gets outscored. Fiala should be benched and he's not even scoring.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
What progress it it the Oilers being so good and dominant in a game that it becomes boring for its lack of competition.

Holy crap Bob Stauffer, what have you been eating in the Christmas break. Most of us gain a few lbs. he looks like he was eating out of a trough. Theres the usual bad bob look you get used to and then last night its like holy hell. Would it hurt him to wash once in awhile, wash his hair, comb it. Somebody tell this guy he's not on the radio anymore, this is TV. lol. I'm out before somebody says look shaming.

View attachment 792036

I'm not looking at the progress in just this one game, I'm looking at it overall since the staff changes. We all know how they would ease into a game...it was a common complaint on the board, especially after long layoffs-it was practically guaranteed loss night, no matter the competition because they weren't ready to play. They had a week off earlier this month or late November and came out flying at puck drop, same again last night. Just the whole team coming out ready to play at the 00:01 mark of the game is one area of progress to me.

That said, they did get a benefit of facing a guy in his first career start who has putrid numbers in the AHL but the entire first, they were all rolling. Quite the difference from the last time these two teams met.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not looking at the progress in just this one game, I'm looking at it overall since the staff changes. We all know how they would ease into a game...it was a common complaint on the board, especially after long playoffs-it was practically guaranteed loss night, no matter the competition because they weren't ready to play. They had a week off earlier this month or late November and came out flying at puck drop, same again last night. Just the whole team coming out ready to play at the 00:01 mark of the game is one area of progress to me.

That said, they did get a benefit of facing a guy in his first career start who has putrid numbers in the AHL but the entire first, they were all rolling. Quite the difference from the last time these two teams met.
So agree.

Being ready to play from the puck drop has been an issue for this team over multiple seasons. It hit its apex this season and was yet another nail in Woody’s demise.

While I don’t believe that it’s been erased from their system totally, it has become notably better under Coach Kris.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not looking at the progress in just this one game, I'm looking at it overall since the staff changes. We all know how they would ease into a game...it was a common complaint on the board, especially after long playoffs-it was practically guaranteed loss night, no matter the competition because they weren't ready to play. They had a week off earlier this month or late November and came out flying at puck drop, same again last night. Just the whole team coming out ready to play at the 00:01 mark of the game is one area of progress to me.

Apparently the Oilers have more goals in the first minute than any other team in the NHL.
In addition...they have scored more first period goals than any other team in the NHL.
Seems they have solved the slow start issue that plauged them for years.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
So agree.

Being ready to play from the puck drop has been an issue for this team over multiple seasons. It hit its apex this season and was yet another nail in Woody’s demise.

While I don’t believe that it’s been erased from their system totally, it has become notably better under Coach Kris.
They’ve definitely seen an improvement in their pace to start games. Likewise they’ve notably made strides in closing periods out. At one point we were so bad for giving up goals at the start and end of periods, they’ve really cleaned that up.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Apparently the Oilers have more goals in the first minute than any other team in the NHL.
In addition...they have scored more first period goals than any other team in the NHL.
Seems they have solved the slow start issue that plauged them for years.
It'd be interesting to see those numbers broken down what they were before the coaching change and after.

In a way, it's also kind of a frustrating stat to see as well. They have the most first period goals, which one would think would translate to more wins (or at least more OTL points) but here they are 7 points out of a wildcard and 6 to tie.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So agree.

Impressive as well is Knob doesn't stick to formula on this In some games he started the third line with McLeod on it. He starts whatever line he feels is sharp and on in pregame. To me its the way to be to make decisions like that on the fly based on what X players are looking like right now.

That said that 5man unit is a safebet to bend a lot of opponents. Essentially the Sharks gave up when McLeod scored coming off the bench after first line had total ozone domination.

Best way to play an opponent like this is take their will away immediately. The Oilers did that and they make their game easier as a result. Too often this club had been guilty of granting clubs confidence, thus making the games a lot harder.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
They’ve definitely seen an improvement in their pace to start games. Likewise they’ve notably made strides in closing periods out. At one point we were so bad for giving up goals at the start and end of periods, they’ve really cleaned that up.
You’re not wrong but that last goal at MSG last week still pisses me off. Like bear down FFS guys.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I go on this a lot but the first minute of the game is further demonstration of how elite the 5 man unit of the McD line combined with the Ek-Booch pair is. Once established in Ozone that unit is essentially a PP. Something like seeing Red Army back in the day setup shop. The line is good on its own, but the Ek-Booch pair puts it over the top because ALL of these players are elite puck handlers and can play Ozone, can play cycle with the best of them. Booch and Ek made plays and skated the puck in that first minute. Its not just a line, but a unit in sync. They're seeing a lot of each other.

But case in point when Booch and Ek had some shifts with 2nd line that line was dominant. even when they get spots with bottom lines they are helping immensely. The pair even made Connor Brown look passable and were entirely responsible for getting him a 2nd assist pt.

Won't be long before Booch is 2nd only to McD on this team. His impact is that immense right now. He's shifting from star to possible superstar.

Would be even more miraculous considering he doesn't play tonight. Maybe he gets a 29pt hand in crib or something...;)
My bad. Thought they played tonight with tomorrow off

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It'd be interesting to see those numbers broken down what they were before the coaching change and after.

In a way, it's also kind of a frustrating stat to see as well. They have the most first period goals, which one would think would translate to more wins (or at least more OTL points) but here they are 7 points out of a wildcard and 6 to tie.
5pts to tie with games in hand. The stretch of games in hand, and ahead is some NHL schedule correction. Oilers have one of the easiest schedules remaining rest of season, albeit with a much more compressed amount of games. Team should be able to go 7-3 or 8-2 in next 10 games and be in a WC spot.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
5pts to tie with games in hand. The stretch of games in hand, and ahead is some NHL schedule correction. Oilers have one of the easiest schedules remaining rest of season, albeit with a much more compressed amount of games. Team should be able to go 7-3 or 8-2 in next 10 games and be in a WC spot.
Yes. This stretch of games has the potential to be most defining to the season more so even than the start of season skid (as bad as that was) had on things.

Reactions: Biltmore

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Wow...that Sharks team is bad in their own zone.
Easy win although Skinner did have to make some solid saves to preserve the shutout.

They need to clean up the turnovers in and around the neutral zone or the Kings will light them up.

The Kings are the best team in the Western Conference IMO. That will be a legit test for this team.
Got to pull the same tactic as the playoffs. Bait the penalty, feast on the powerplay. :sarcasm:

Reactions: guymez

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What progress it it the Oilers being so good and dominant in a game that it becomes boring for its lack of competition.

Holy crap Bob Stauffer, what have you been eating in the Christmas break. Most of us gain a few lbs. he looks like he was eating out of a trough. Theres the usual bad bob look you get used to and then last night its like holy hell. Would it hurt him to wash once in awhile, wash his hair, comb it. Somebody tell this guy he's not on the radio anymore, this is TV. lol. I'm out before somebody says look shaming.

View attachment 792036
The polite term is "full figure."

Wow...that Sharks team is bad in their own zone.
Easy win although Skinner did have to make some solid saves to preserve the shutout.

They need to clean up the turnovers in and around the neutral zone or the Kings will light them up.

The Kings are the best team in the Western Conference IMO. That will be a legit test for this team.
Yes not much of a test--lets see how the boys do in L.A.

Reactions: guymez

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
heh. That would be Backtobacktoback for the Kings.

For once we're back on Saturday night. Where the Oilers should be.
One of these days I'm going to look hard at your avatar picture and it will be Drai with a joint in his mouth.

Even though I know it's feathers, it's all I see. Everytime. Lol.

• Haha

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Whoops, you're right, I was going off last night's pre-win points, thanks for the correction.

It just goes to show how hard it is to make up ground with the regulation tie point. Once upon a time when teams had to be tied at the end of OT to get a point, teams like the Oilers could have a shit start to the season, then rattle off 8 wins straight and suddenly be fighting for the division lead. 8 wins got them to within 1 point of the last wildcard and the subsequent 3 losses put them right back to 7 points out. Even winning these last 3 straight still has them out by 6. They need the teams above them to stop treading water and start losing in regulation-lol.

I just hope we don't see the "reads our own press clippings" version of the Oilers again during this 'easier' January schedule. But I think they've woken up a bit and realise how hard it is to make up ground.

The games in hand are a catch-22. That either means they have a ton of back to backs coming up but hopefully most of the ground is made up playing these extra games while the other teams with more games played are on their 5 day break.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The polite term is "full figure."

Yes not much of a test--lets see how the boys do in L.A.
The face is what scared me. Its after a commercial and the telecast has a close up of unshaven unkept, uncombed Stauffer with new folds of face staring right at you. It actually startled me. I'd been watching too much Monarch monsters or whatever its called. Latest episode was boring and no monsters. False advertising. then I watch the game to get a between periods fright.

1703876764717.png

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It just goes to show how hard it is to make up ground with the regulation tie point. Once upon a time when teams had to be tied at the end of OT to get a point, teams like the Oilers could have a shit start to the season, then rattle off 8 wins straight and suddenly be fighting for the division lead. 8 wins got them to within 1 point of the last wildcard and the subsequent 3 losses put them right back to 7 points out. Even winning these last 3 straight still has them out by 6. They need the teams above them to stop treading water and start losing in regulation-lol.

I just hope we don't see the "reads our own press clippings" version of the Oilers again during this 'easier' January schedule. But I think they've woken up a bit and realise how hard it is to make up ground.

The games in hand are a catch-22. That either means they have a ton of back to backs coming up but hopefully most of the ground is made up playing these extra games while the other teams with more games played are on their 5 day break.
With the Oilers I've maintained the most dangerous beast is an injured beast that has comeback from the abyss. But none of us ever know what will unfold. The bolded is always possible.

I like that the Oilers brought some anger to the Sharks game and some last time memories. Oilers seem best when playing with some chip on shoulder. The challenge in the upcoming stretch is maintaining intensity after the Kings game. We're in this position due to not getting results against opponents Oilers should beat.

In anycase the Oilers have long established that they are a back half of season club. I wish they weren't so prominently that but its the team we have.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He was still kicking those rebounds out but our D/C is on those rebounds like muthaf***as.
I did appreciate his one time saves and that huge glove save on Timo last night in the 3rd where Timo was sniping for his favourite spot (over the shoulder near the neck). I was sad on release and elated when I saw Skinners glove snap to deflect it
Heh. Timo Meier is playing on a different club now. New Jersey. I think you mean Hertyl the Turtle. There were some good stops but also the Shark missing a wide open net, several goal posts, and Skinner not doing much of anything as Hertyl cut cross crease with puck for a tuck. I think a defender saved goal on that one.

But Skinner got the shutout and did what he had to. Not sure its the best idea to start him against LA though. Give LA somebody different to look at.

Reactions: ZJuice

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
With the Oilers I've maintained the most dangerous beast is an injured beast that has comeback from the abyss. But none of us ever know what will unfold. The bolded is always possible.

I like that the Oilers brought some anger to the Sharks game and some last time memories. Oilers seem best when playing with some chip on shoulder. The challenge in the upcoming stretch is maintaining intensity after the Kings game. We're in this position due to not getting results against opponents Oilers should beat.

In anycase the Oilers have long established that they are a back half of season club. I wish they weren't so prominently that but its the team we have.
Lol, very, very true. The stat the one poster put up showing they are basically matched in points with where they were last year after the same number of games played is something I thought I'd eventually teach myself to accept about them. They sure don't like to make it easy on themselves or us as fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad