Isles Should Rebuild

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you look at their last three seasons, they’ve only won three playoff games. They haven’t been one of the best regular season teams either.

They have an older roster, not the best prospect pool or that many picks, and not that much cap space.

In their best interest, they should start rebuilding. Barzal, Sorokin, and Dobson can all be there in 3-4 years. Sell virtually everyone else.

The heavy favorite for 2025 1OA, James Hagens, is from Long Island and an Isles fan. If they somehow won that pick, that would be the best thing to happen to their franchise since their Cup wins. That would be a marketing dream for them.

The only problem I see is the GM is getting older and keeps making bold and impulsive moves for one last shot to win. Who is going to take away the keys to the car from him?

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
If the season go awry next year, then yeah, try a rebuild. They need to have at least one year or so with Roy though to see if he can change things around.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lou doesn't do rebuilds...that's pretty obvious. So unless Lou departs, it's not going to happen.
Also, how are the Isles going to drop 30 odd points in the standings to beat out the really bad teams sitting in the bottom 3 of the standings? Look at all of the trade protection contracts they have right now? Can't move off enough guys to be terrible bad.

Reactions: eojsmada

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Two problems. First, you'd have to fire Lamoriello, because he doesn't rebuild.

Second, eight players are on long-term contracts (3 or more years), five of which extend for more than five years. Some of those contracts are not too attractive, and some players have full NTCs for some time (after which they become partial).

The team has been constructed to make rebuilding impossible - perhaps by design - by a GM who doesn't truck with the idea.

This is a mediocre team that Lou locked up for some reason. At the time, people scratched their heads as to why he was committing to these players, and they're still doing it.

Now they should remain tough to play against and full of players who are game, but there is certainly a hard ceiling there.

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Rebuild and be the Long Island version of the Sabres…a decade plus without playoffs, meager attendance

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

My response to OP

the reality is that they will not rebuild and they instead will focus on their core players (Sorokin, Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, Romanov)

They will not go for a full blown tank, and it would be a horrible move all together. yeah yeah Hagens is there, but i'd rather them be good and fix the team that can go on a playoff push, rather than destroy everything just so you can get a kid who "maybe" could become amazing. Lamoriello isn't a god but the contracts he handed out last summer are eh. Engvall and Mayfield are both due 3M each. They aren't back breaking deals, they just have longer term. Their biggest keys are to fix up the bottom 6 and get their PK back to average. They also ran into the WORST matchup two years in a row for the playoffs, so i'd argue that it really isn't a terrible squad.

Your best bet is hoping a lot of their picks are able to pan out, while seeing some players get traded (Most of their NMC's are modified, they can be moved). My bet this offseason? Pageau and potentially Brock Nelson. I think those two are the players they try to move out. Maybe Pulock also but Pulock is a very good defensive defenseman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
If they are going to be bad enough to be in the running for Hagens, the rebuild will take longer than 3-4 years, meaning your probably giving up on the Barzal/Dobson/Sorokin/Horvat 'era'.

And maybe that's the right thing, but lets atleast get the timeline right. Rebuilds aren't 4 years anymore, especially when your starting from the place of future assets the Islanders are.

Whether this core can contend for a cup is one thing, but with some proper re-tool moves I think they could be a consistent playoff team, better than the 'bubble' team they are now. Might take a new GM in charge tho.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
If they are going to be bad enough to be in the running for Hagens, the rebuild will take longer than 3-4 years, meaning your probably giving up on the Barzal/Dobson/Sorokin/Horvat 'era'.

And maybe that's the right thing, but lets atleast get the timeline right. Rebuilds aren't 4 years anymore, especially when your starting from the place of future assets the Islanders are.

Whether this core can contend for a cup is one thing, but with some proper re-tool moves I think they could be a consistent playoff team, better than the 'bubble' team they are now. Might take a new GM in charge tho.
Lamoriello's presser 100% sounded like he knows they need changes. The bottom 6 in particular was horrible, they missed Scott Mayfield being healthy all year, and they do need depth. Something has to give eventually.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The only problem I see is the GM is getting older and keeps making bold and impulsive moves for one last shot to win. Who is going to take away the keys to the car from him?
If that is the only problem you see to rebuilding, I don't know what to tell you. 9 plays hold trade protection, which increases by 2 more with Barzal and Sorokin come July 1. Say they all have 1/2 the league they can be moved to. Pretty much they would have the about 10-12 of the same NO trade listed teams like in Canada, SJ, Chi, CBS for now and whatever else that may be in common.

So, those 16 remaining teams only so many options/cap space available to them. Not to mention assets to give up.

Just not realistic to move enough players out to be in the bottom 3 of the NHL standings over night.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

My response to OP

the reality is that they will not rebuild and they instead will focus on their core players (Sorokin, Barzal, Horvat, Dobson, Romanov)

They will not go for a full blown tank, and it would be a horrible move all together. yeah yeah Hagens is there, but i'd rather them be good and fix the team that can go on a playoff push, rather than destroy everything just so you can get a kid who "maybe" could become amazing. Lamoriello isn't a god but the contracts he handed out last summer are eh. Engvall and Mayfield are both due 3M each. They aren't back breaking deals, they just have longer term. Their biggest keys are to fix up the bottom 6 and get their PK back to average. They also ran into the WORST matchup two years in a row for the playoffs, so i'd argue that it really isn't a terrible squad.

Your best bet is hoping a lot of their picks are able to pan out, while seeing some players get traded (Most of their NMC's are modified, they can be moved). My bet this offseason? Pageau and potentially Brock Nelson. I think those two are the players they try to move out. Maybe Pulock also but Pulock is a very good defensive defenseman.

Well, the Islanders are just treading water. Barely making the playoffs isn't much of an accomplishment and that's about what Lou is capable of doing at this point.

I honestly don't know what you guys can even really do if you keep Lou around. It seems like he's only capable of small bandaid moves since he can't think outside of the box at all. He's trapped in a pre-lockout hockey mindset.

I mean, I'm all for it so I hope he signs a lifetime contract with the Islanders. But in all seriousness, I fail to see how, at this point in his career, he can help your team actually win.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If you look at their last three seasons, they’ve only won three playoff games. They haven’t been one of the best regular season teams either.

They have an older roster, not the best prospect pool or that many picks, and not that much cap space.

In their best interest, they should start rebuilding. Barzal, Sorokin, and Dobson can all be there in 3-4 years. Sell virtually everyone else.

The heavy favorite for 2025 1OA, James Hagens, is from Long Island and an Isles fan. If they somehow won that pick, that would be the best thing to happen to their franchise since their Cup wins. That would be a marketing dream for them.

No NHL team coming off a .573 season is going to try, or realistically get, close to the top seed in the draft lottery.

Rebuilds are like bankruptcy, teams are forced into them by losing.

If they don’t trade Barzal, Sorokin and Dobson, who else can they trade?

Horvat and Polock have full NTCs for 3 more years and Pelech for 1. All three have lengthy deals, they aren’t being moved in the short term.

Players with 16 team No Trade Lists:
Nelson, 1 year (33 in Oct)
Palmieri, 1 year (34 next Feb)
Lee, 2 years (34 in July)
Pageau, 2 years (32 in Nov)

If they aren’t a playoff team around the 2025 TDL Lou has some decisions to make there. Even if they are, there’s still decisions with the UFAs.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I honestly don't know what you guys can even really do if you keep Lou around. It seems like he's only capable of small bandaid moves since he can't think outside of the box at all. He's trapped in a pre-lockout hockey mindset.
Horvat trade literally fixed a gaping hole at 1C for the past half decade

Reactions: DamonDRW

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Horvat trade literally fixed a gaping hole at 1C for the past half decade

Yet similar results. It's almost like much of what Lou does is shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic every year.

You have a very mediocre team (at best) and zero depth to your prospect pool. Lou has mismanaged the Islanders into what will be another 5+ years of water treading mediocrity in all likelihood.

If you want to keep him around, I sure hope your ownership agrees with you.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Dobson
Horvat
Barzal

That's it. Those are your ONLY bargaining chips.

Honourable mention to pelech and pulock who may garner something as well.

The issue is aside from Wahlstrom, there is NOBODY on the team under the age of 25 not named Dobson that will interest anyone else based on age, term and AAV.

A rebuild could/should happen but Lou won't do it and by the time he's dead or moved on the assets mentioned will have devalued themselves to the point that it would be a nil return.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad