Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk 2019-20 | Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
would really really be huge and a big weight off to
Have a franchise goalie starting at 25 years old. Even if he takes a year to really get comfortable. He’s prime age.

Sorokin is going to be every bit the goalie Samsonov or Shestyorkin are. He may even be the best of the three.

Once he's signed, he's automatically our best prospect - and then the only real blue chipper we have.

It's time for him to step in and split time with Varlamov for a year, then take the reigns.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I think Dobson's role on the Island is going to get bigger next season. Unless someone considerate is added to that blueline, I can't see him in the AHL.

Clearly something lost in translation. The last thing we want is someone "considerate" on the blueline! ;)

Btw, I agree with you re: Dobson. I think they are going to go all in with him and let him take his lumps ala early days of Hedman in TB. And just as with Hedman, be prepared for the reality that it will still get ugly at times.

Reactions: Quicklime and mm11

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Clearly something lost in translation. The last thing we want is someone "considerate" on the blueline! ;)

Btw, I agree with you re: Dobson. I think they are going to go all in with him and let him take his lumps ala early days of Hedman in TB. And just as with Hedman, be prepared for the reality that it will still get ugly at times.

I like your line of thinking with Dobson and Hedman. I remember the early days of his time in Tampa some were labeling him a bust.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

Considerate d-men rarely win cups unfortunately

Reactions: benedictTavares

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

<<<
Blir det Örebro eller New York nästa säsong?

Salo hann göra sex poäng på tolv matcher och såg fram emot en intressant vår när coronaviruset satte stopp för säsongen i Sverige. Örebro slutade på åttonde plats i grundserien och skulle han inlett slutspelet med åttondelsfinaler mot Malmö Redhawks.

– Jag kom till Örebro för att spela slutspelsmatcher men så skedde allt det här. Det känns som att jag inte hann ge allt eftersom de största matcherna väntade. Säsongen slutade innan jag fick visa vad jag går för, säger Salo.

Salo har kontrakt med Örebro även nästa säsong och är redo att åka tillbaka om inte New York Islanders har andra planer. Islanders draftade Salo i den andra rundan 2017 och mycket hänger på vad klubben vill.

– Vi har kontakt och det är lite osäkert var jag kommer att spela. Det är Islanders som har sista ordet och bestämmer om jag ska komma över.

Hur går snacket med Islanders?

– De är nöjda med hur jag spelade den här säsongen och jag har fått bra feedback. Ett besked borde komma ganska så snart.
<<<

Summary of this part:
He had 6 points in 12 games with Orebro and was on schedule to play the pre-playoffs against Malmo before the coronavirus ended things. He has the contract with Orebro for next season, but everything will depend on what the Islanders want, who have the last word.

There is contact with the Islanders and if they want, he'll be ready to come to North America next season. He says that the Islanders have told him that they've been happy with his progress this year and have given him positive feedback. In addition, a decision on behalf of the Islanders may be coming very soon.

<<<
Är du redo att sticka över redan i höst eller vill du ha ytterligare en säsong i Europa?

– Det är svårt att säga, det är 50/50. Det beror också på hur Islanders tänker och vilka chanser jag har. Det är ganska svårt att ta en plats i NHL men det kommer vi att tala om under de kommande veckorna, säger han.

Salo säger att han är redo att spela i AHL om Islanders anser att det är bäst för hans utveckling. Han har också fått en del tips av Otto Koivula som tillhör Islanders organisation och gjort tolv NHL-matcher den här säsongen.

– Jag vill ju dit och få chansen att spela i världens bästa liga. Jag har pratat med Otto om AHL och om hur andra saker fungerar där. Jag försöker samla på mig mycket information så att jag är redo sen om chansen kommer, avslutar Salo.
<<<

To summarize here, a lot depends on what the Islanders feel his chances are at this point. If they want him to play in the AHL and feel that that is best, he's ready for that step. He also mentions that he's been in contact with Koivula, who has given him info and tips about how things work, AHL play, etc.

He definitely has his eyes set on playing NHL hockey, has been keeping himself informed about the league and its happenings, and is ready to take his shot when it comes.

I might add that I saw him in the second to last game of the SHL season and was impressed by his athleticism. He was able to twist and turn in a lot of ways while controlling the puck. He had a big game with a goal and an assist.

I don't think we should be too surprised if the Isles have him in BPort next season. Then again, from what I saw, Orebro seems to have him lined up for PP1 minutes and a top 4 role. The Isles may feel that's a pretty good gig for a kid his age.

Last edited:
Reactions: xECK29x

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Yep, we've gotten to see some of that ugly at times this season.

Still, I've got no doubt that he'll one day be an impact player much like Pietrangelo. We should really be ecstatic if he becomes a Hedman.

I'd take either of them and every lump necessary to get to that level.

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Yep, we've gotten to see some of that ugly at times this season.

Still, I've got no doubt that he'll one day be an impact player much like Pietrangelo. We should really be ecstatic if he becomes a Hedman.

I'd take either of them and every lump necessary to get to that level.

maybe I have orange, blue and white shades on but when Dobson moved to the right side he was showing signs of making and impact as early as next season in my opinion. Starting his career on his off side is like sending the kid to the lions den.

Reactions: danteipp

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Sorokin is going to be every bit the goalie Samsonov or Shestyorkin are. He may even be the best of the three.

Once he's signed, he's automatically our best prospect - and then the only real blue chipper we have.

It's time for him to step in and split time with Varlamov for a year, then take the reigns.

I see a lot of Vasi, Bob, and Mike Richter/Jon Quick. Based on in-depth scouting reports, footage, observations from others at HF.

This is franchise-altering news *possibly. Very excited.

Korn/Greco refining elite, semi-raw talent. NYI could be set in net for the next 10 years.

Wish the kid could start this summer!

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Golyshev told that he has already started looking for a house in NY.

He may be looking, but the guy has to have a seriously strong 2020-21 if this team is going to use a contract on him.

Definitely wasn't a year to remember, granted the injury did its part. At his size and with his style, those highlights he's had in recent years really need to become a more regular occurrence.

It's been 4 seasons since he was drafted and he still hasn't topped his draft year.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
To clarify, he's looking toward playing in NY for 2021-22. He's under contract with Yekaterinburg next season.

Yeah, since he got three kids now, it will take some time to find an appropriate and affordable place to live, so not a bad idea to start already now.

He may be looking, but the guy has to have a seriously strong 2020-21 if this team is going to use a contract on him.

Definitely wasn't a year to remember, granted the injury did its part. At his size and with his style, those highlights he's had in recent years really need to become a more regular occurrence.

It's been 4 seasons since he was drafted and he still hasn't topped his draft year.

It's not like using a 1 year ELC is somekind of a big deal. Also, as it is written in the interview, NYI representatives were pretty happy with his performance in the second half of this season. Not to mention that it is unlikely he would be talking that sure about his future plans, if he wasn't given some guarantees at least in terms of receiving a contract offer.

While this season was pretty forgettable due to injuries, it is strange that you consider his 2018/19 performance to be worse than the draft year, as back in 2016 his numbers were at certain degree a product of his chemistry with Koukal (and Golyshev was more of a sidekick there), while in 2019 those were mostly his own.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Wow, can’t believe Golyshev is even still in the picture but we need skill if it translates.

There are different rules with respect to how long a team retains the rights to a European drafted player.

I don't know how the classifications work exactly, but we do have the rights of players like Golyshev, Sundstrom, etc. pretty much without end.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It's not like using a 1 year ELC is somekind of a big deal. Also, as it is written in the interview, NYI representatives were pretty happy with his performance in the second half of this season. Not to mention that it is unlikely he would be talking that sure about his future plans, if he wasn't given some guarantees at least in terms of receiving a contract offer.

There's a little more involved with bringing over established European players rather than bringing in a North American kid on an ELC. Mostly though, the teams have their 50 contract limit.

We'll have to see where the team is with respect to that once next season is over.

But yes, if the article is any indication, it looks like the team would be interested in seeing what it has in Golyshev.

3 kids, eh? That's a decent load for a guy his age.

While this season was pretty forgettable due to injuries, it is strange that you consider his 2018/19 performance to be worse than the draft year, as back in 2016 his numbers were at certain degree a product of his chemistry with Koukal (and Golyshev was more of a sidekick there), while in 2019 those were mostly his own.

Well, that last point is good to hear.

I understand that his draft season can't necessarily be called "better" than i.e. his 2018-19 season due to a handful of reasons with respect to his all-round play and the role he assumed. Particularly his playoffs that season were clearly his best to date.

When I write that he hasn't topped his draft season, it's to say that his statistically best season was the season he was drafted. He hasn't been able to top that one since, for whatever reason.

When 4 complete seasons pass since a 25-goal outing, then it looks a lot more like a blip on the map than anything else, especially considering he was already what, 21, at the time?

And we're talking about a guy still being reported as being 5'8". Doesn't have to be an end-all thing, but the league is not swimming in players that size.

We'll root for him to be a surprise and turn into a productive NHLer. This team is still looking for offensive answers on the wing.

Caser

May 21, 2013
twitter.com
Wow, can’t believe Golyshev is even still in the picture but we need skill if it translates.

Wouldn't be smart to ignore such an asset I guess.

There are different rules with respect to how long a team retains the rights to a European drafted player.

I don't know how the classifications work exactly, but we do have the rights of players like Golyshev, Sundstrom, etc. pretty much without end.

Sundstrom's rights will expire on the 1st of July though (or whenever it is this year).

There's a little more involved with bringing over established European players rather than bringing in a North American kid on an ELC. Mostly though, the teams have their 50 contract limit.

The 50 contract limit works basically for everyone, not only for European players. Golyshev is subject to a 1-year ELC, not like he will be stuck on that limit for a long time if he won't succeed (in comparison to an average prospect, who might be stuck in the AHL for three years and will take that contract spot during that time).

Well, that last point is good to hear.

I understand that his draft season can't necessarily be called "better" than i.e. his 2018-19 season due to a handful of reasons with respect to his all-round play and the role he assumed. Particularly his playoffs that season were clearly his best to date.

When I write that he hasn't topped his draft season, it's to say that his statistically best season was the season he was drafted. He hasn't been able to top that one since, for whatever reason.

When 4 complete seasons pass since a 25-goal outing, then it looks a lot more like a blip on the map than anything else, especially considering he was already what, 21, at the time?

And we're talking about a guy still being reported as being 5'8". Doesn't have to be an end-all thing, but the league is not swimming in players that size.

We'll root for him to be a surprise and turn into a productive NHLer. This team is still looking for offensive answers on the wing.

If we look at the stats, absolute numbers are only one way to look. For example, if we look at goals and points per game then 2015/16 and 2017/18 were basically identical (and if we look at points/60 then 2017/18 was even much better). But yeah, as I was saying, 2018/19 was the season where he finally showed that he is a standalone force (even though he gathered some good points from the chemistry with Dawes and Da Costa, he was a vital part of it himself) and looked like one of the top KHL players.

As for the size, while he is indeed 5'8" (which is not exactly that rare in the NHL nowadays itself), he is also 187 lbs, which is the same weight as, for example, Eberle, so it's not like strength would be a big issue here.

With that being said, I also have concerns about Golyshev: too many injuries recently are worrying and a bit of a too East-West playing style that definitely will need some time for adaptation to NA hockey (like, for example, Nikita Gusev in NJD). Still I totally can't think of any valid reasons for the NYI management not to sign him if there's an opportunity.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Wouldn't be smart to ignore such an asset I guess.

If we look at the stats, absolute numbers are only one way to look. For example, if we look at goals and points per game then 2015/16 and 2017/18 were basically identical (and if we look at points/60 then 2017/18 was even much better). But yeah, as I was saying, 2018/19 was the season where he finally showed that he is a standalone force (even though he gathered some good points from the chemistry with Dawes and Da Costa, he was a vital part of it himself) and looked like one of the top KHL players.

As for the size, while he is indeed 5'8" (which is not exactly that rare in the NHL nowadays itself), he is also 187 lbs, which is the same weight as, for example, Eberle, so it's not like strength would be a big issue here.

With that being said, I also have concerns about Golyshev: too many injuries recently are worrying and a bit of a too East-West playing style that definitely will need some time for adaptation to NA hockey (like, for example, Nikita Gusev in NJD). Still I totally can't think of any valid reasons for the NYI management not to sign him if there's an opportunity.
For fans sometimes it can be out of sight, out of mind.

I would like to add Golyshev, see what he can bring. A good skilled winger is needed and one internally where cost is low would be ideal. Imagine he had the same impact as say Dadanov in Florida?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Sundstrom's rights will expire on the 1st of July though (or whenever it is this year).

The 50 contract limit works basically for everyone, not only for European players. Golyshev is subject to a 1-year ELC, not like he will be stuck on that limit for a long time if he won't succeed (in comparison to an average prospect, who might be stuck in the AHL for three years and will take that contract spot during that time).

Interesting.

I know that Sundstrom has definitely wanted to revisit NHL ambitions. I just don't think he's ready to accept anything other than a 1-way contract from an NHL team.

A shame that his KHL time was shot by injuries, because he's been a force in the SHL.

Alright, I hope your enthusiasm for him means that he'll one day become an asset for the Islanders. The team could use a guy like him to pan out.

As for the bolded sentence, I think that statement hits the crux of what I've been trying to say, namely that the absolute most valid reason for the management not to sign him is because they don't want to use a contract on him, e.g. because they don't see enough of an opportunity for him to possibly make the NHL.

In other words, maybe they're interested in using their contracts on guys they are higher on, regardless of where those guys are coming from?

In any case, I can't say I know what the team is thinking, so let's see how this plays out.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
What is Goly's upside at the NHL level? From the reports here I've always got the impression that he's a middle 6'er, with some skill.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I like Goly and have liked him since he was drafted. He's a strong player and has a nose for the net..dirty areas a decent one-timer and a nice wrister. I think he'll do well on the team.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

We'll have to see where the team is with respect to that once next season is over.

But yes, if the article is any indication, it looks like the team would be interested in seeing what it has in Golyshev.

3 kids, eh? That's a decent load for a guy his age.

Let's hope the Baby Momma tradition hasn't filtered over to Russia. Might need extra bedrooms and in the NY area that doesn't come cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad